Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a steal!
The MZ7 (as long as the drive works) is a fun camera, the FA28-80 is a decent lens, and the FAJ75-300 is a nice lens... if you do not want any me let me know

Word of advise, the MZ7 has the "Panorama" mode.... it is extremely useful withh the DA lenses to avoid dark corners

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
She wants 50 for the MZ7 plus the silver FA 28-80 and FAJ 75-300. As I have lots of batteries for it I took the camera out for a test ride and everything seems to work. Nice to be able to adjust F stops on the DA type lenses. When looking on line I find systems like either one for 2 to 4 hundred but then Canadian prices for used equipment tends to be higher than what I see in the States and that applies to more than just cameras.

On the other hand we bought a SWC Hasselblad and it is not going to drop in price unless 120 film totally disappears.

I can appreciate why totally mechanical cameras are more sought after than the more electronic ones however for myself with the Hasselblads and large format, I do not mind the auto features of the MZ series

01-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
Site Supporter

The prices for old film cameras are no different than for old lenses, it depends on the condition of each item and the rarity.

Some bodies like the LX & K2DMD still get high prices, other newer plastic bodies almost nothing.

It’s the same with lenses, the A* or FA* lenses get high prices, but some zooms or regular telephotos sell for peanuts.

There are exceptions for everything and eBay is not the best place to buy a camera body if you want to actually use it. Check the online camera stores (KEH), they have a big turnaround on film gear and also a return policy if the item is defective.

Phil.
01-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
That is a steal!
The MZ7 (as long as the drive works) is a fun camera, the FA28-80 is a decent lens, and the FAJ75-300 is a nice lens... if you do not want any me let me know

Word of advise, the MZ7 has the "Panorama" mode.... it is extremely useful withh the DA lenses to avoid dark corners
I know about the parnoram mode as have had a MZ5n since it was new late last century. Not sure about the two lenses, we had gotten rid of a F 28-80 and FA 28-80 (dark grey power zoom) in the last couple of years already. This weekend plan on testing out the 75-300 to compare it with the F 70-210. Already have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 so not sure if we need three longish zooms or not, the Sigma is in my larger bag and my wife uses the 70-210. I will let you know once I sample them. The camera seems to work as there was a roll of film in it , will know when I look at the negatives but do not know how long the film sat in the MZ7 or under what conditions.

Thanks for the comments
01-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
I actually convinced a seller once that had the rear cap to just send the lens and reduce the shipping. I told them they could just keep the camera and sell it again as body only. They thought that was strange, thinking the body worth more than the lens, but went along with it.
ROFL - I wish I had done that several times because then I have had to ship out the camera by itself either after selling it myself for next to nothing or donating it.

01-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
ROFL - I wish I had done that several times because then I have had to ship out the camera by itself either after selling it myself for next to nothing or donating it.
I have had people get annoyed at me for asking them to send the lens and keep the camera, so now I just let it be and take the deal...
01-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I have had people get annoyed at me for asking them to send the lens and keep the camera, so now I just let it be and take the deal...
Guess they just wanted it out of their house. But they have to pay more to mail it, why not just junk it? People are funny.
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Guess they just wanted it out of their house. But they have to pay more to mail it, why not just junk it? People are funny.
That's what they told me -- "I don't want the camera -- it MUST go." Uhh...the trash can? Goodwill? I don't get it either, and I've even had that from people who knew enough to know that the lens was the thing (most think the camera is -- you often have to ask special just to ID the lenses). Also I think if you start saying things they find strange, they will think they are being conned or something. So now if it is a good deal, I just shut up, take it, and run...
01-17-2013, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

My impression has been that it is a mixed market. The prices for film cameras in demonstrated good condition has been creeping up. Granted, my region is sort of a haven for film photography, but to be honest, it is hard to get a decent film camera (full working condition) with normal lens (prime or moderate zoom) for less that $80 USD. A K1000 will go for about $120 with 50/2. An MX for about $200 USD...if you can find one.

On the other hand, there has been a flood of junk bodies attached to junk lenses! Typically both are advertised as being in working condition and usually neither is worth the price of shipping! Craigslist in my area is full of filthy, generic AF SLRs from all makers...all priced a little on the high side based on the claimed value of the lens!!!

As for the stuff on eBay that does not sell. I put those items in the same class as the gold LX that has been for sale there continuously for the last several years.

Steve

01-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
but to be honest, it is hard to get a decent film camera (full working condition) with normal lens (prime or moderate zoom) for less that $80 USD. A K1000 will go for about $120 with 50/2. An MX for about $200 USD...if you can find one.
Quite right. In my case, it costs $220 to have camera and lens serviced. That means that if you want to use the camera (and I do), even a 'free' camera can cost hundreds if it needs service..I spent $1000 on my K5. My film cameras have run me four times that to have them serviceable.
01-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm finding that prices of mechanical bodies in good condition are extremely buoyant but almost all of the electronic plastic bodied cameras are
at give-away prices. It could be that mechanical bodies are tough and reliable and after a CLA these 30-50 year old cameras are good to go
for the same again. Plastic fantastics can die at any time and good luck finding the electronic components for them, a donor body is the only
way to get some going again. I have a couple with dead electronic shutters that I use as bookends. With current prices they are the ultimate
disposable camera!
Glenn
01-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
I'm finding that prices of mechanical bodies in good condition are extremely buoyant but almost all of the electronic plastic bodied cameras are at give-away prices.
Could you define 'buoyant'? I have 2 Olympus OM1n's that would seem to fall into that category yet in looking at eBay it seems you can hardly give them away (bodies only).
01-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I guess a lot of them are starting to be more expensive because maybe the sellers are thinking these now are "vintage" ... so thus, collectible, more expensive
01-18-2013, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
I've actually got lenses cheaper by buying them on a film body than by themselves. I just think of it as a really big rear cap.
Me too.

TIP: e-Bay is not the only auction house out there. I've got great deals from Government auctions (a p30n & Kiron 105mm f/2.8 for less than $100, and Nikon, Fuji, Minolta, Pentax film bodies - only wanted the K1000 - for $40. $10 each and they all worked with new batteries).

As the "boomers" are retiring, the younger employees are rummaging through their storerooms and looking to get rid of boxes with old film cameras in them as the employees who used to use them aren't there anymore.
01-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arcturus Quote
Could you define 'buoyant'? I have 2 Olympus OM1n's that would seem to fall into that category yet in looking at eBay it seems you can hardly give them away (bodies only).
Pity...I have an Olympus disposal service...

Steve
01-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It depends....The interest on the originals for Pentax (1950s early 60s) and other brands within the various forums online have created a run for them, driving up the price. Late 60s + cameras have seen a drop in value.

I have a quite a few iconic original Asahi models.....but my favorite will always be the ME Super I bought when I was a kid. A magical blend of mechanical and electronics that screamed quality.