Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Sigma "A" mount lens compatibility question

Hi everybody i have not been shooting as much as i would like to have been shooting lately but i am going to start buying film again and bringing my k1000 out more. i have a couple of quick questions though because i would like to pick up some new glass since all i have is my 50mm f2 m lens. i have set my sight on a sigma super-wide 2 autofocus lens. I just want to make sure that this lens will work with my k1000. it says it is an "A" mount lens but can anyone confirm that this will be compatible with my k mount body? thanks in advance.

01-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Not on A mode, but if you turn the ring just like any other manual lens on your K1000 to set the aperture yourself then it will work fine. And no autofocus, naturally -- doesn't look like that lens has much of focus ring. So while it is not particularly well-suited, it will work.
01-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That particular lens will work fine, but the same optics are in the older versions for less. If it's just for the K1000, you can get by with the one labeled Superwide, which has no A position. Superwide II has the A, AF Superwide has autofocus. On a K1000, the lens really is super wide. A hood is recommended; the coatings are not great for flare reduction. The original hood is OK.

Other alternatives for the K1000 are the Kino Precision Kiron 24mm f2. It's a bit bigger and heavier, 55mm filter vs. 52mm on the Sigma. Make sure the aperture isn't oily.
01-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Not on A mode, but if you turn the ring just like any other manual lens on your K1000 to set the aperture yourself then it will work fine. And no autofocus, naturally -- doesn't look like that lens has much of focus ring. So while it is not particularly well-suited, it will work.
correct i just wanted to make sure that the auto feature didnt render it incompatible with my k1000.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
That particular lens will work fine, but the same optics are in the older versions for less. If it's just for the K1000, you can get by with the one labeled Superwide, which has no A position. Superwide II has the A, AF Superwide has autofocus. On a K1000, the lens really is super wide. A hood is recommended; the coatings are not great for flare reduction. The original hood is OK.

Other alternatives for the K1000 are the Kino Precision Kiron 24mm f2. It's a bit bigger and heavier, 55mm filter vs. 52mm on the Sigma. Make sure the aperture isn't oily.
thanks it says it comes with a uv filter and a sigma clip on lens hood. i am also open to suggestions seeing as im not very knowledgeable on good glass. i am currently trolling ebay to see what they have.

i also just noticed how small the focusing ring is haha if anyone has any suggestions for nice budget friendly f2.8 24mm or 28mm lenses i am listening.

01-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There was a manual focus version of the super wide...
01-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by chris* Quote
if anyone has any suggestions for nice budget friendly f2.8 24mm or 28mm lenses i am listening
Well then I would go for a SMC Pentax-M 28mm - there is a f2.8 and a f3.5 version and both are easy to find and cheap - I bought the f2.8 version for around € 45, and on my K-5 it's considerably sharper than the kit lens at the same focal length and aperture. Some say the f3.5 version is even sharper.
01-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If as Dave suggests the optics are the same as the super wide mini II I would avoid this like the plague. I have one of these, buying it because it was a KA lens so I could use all the auto functions of newer camas.

It has the worst lateral CA I have ever seen, and while it can be easily fixed using CA correction that rescaled the color layers, and produce good sharp edge to edge images after correction, I think on film it would be a real disappointment

See the attached thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1464...-software.html

01-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks guys. for some reason after searching for a lens i became hell bent on getting a range finder and ended up picking up a Olympus 35 rc haha