Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #1

Yashinon DX 50mm 1.4

Has anyone ever used this lens? Some say it's just as good as the SMC Takumar, other's say it's not as contrasty...

Also, will I have any issues mounting this onto a Canon DSLR? (like infinity focus problems)

And is 70$ for this lens a good deal??

Thanks!
Nicole

01-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine has a tiny bit of haze, so that could play a part in the contrast being a little low... but I did prefer the Takumar as it was noticeably smaller and lighter (and had clean glass, so that's probably why photos from it came out better).

I think you may have an issue if you try to use the lens on a FF Canon DSLR (not sure about non-FF though). When focused at infinity, the rear element does protrude and hits of the mirror on the 5D Mk II that I used...

$70 could be a good/bad deal- depends on the condition. Clean glass? Oily aperture? Smooth focus? If yes, I'd skip it.

If you search for a used Spotomatic on Ebay, you may find one with a 50 1.4 Tak or other 50 1.4 lens attached to it. That usually turns out cheaper at auction than a BIN price for lens only.
01-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
$70 could be a good/bad deal- depends on the condition. Clean glass? Oily aperture? Smooth focus? If yes, I'd skip it.
It has scratches on the body, but class is good, and focus is smooth too. And a little scratched area on the filter ring, but it still accepts filters (with difficulty).

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
If you search for a used Spotomatic on Ebay, you may find one with a 50 1.4 Tak or other 50 1.4 lens attached to it. That usually turns out cheaper at auction than a BIN price for lens only.
Yeah! I got a smc takumar 1.4 for 52USD (shipping included) but it wasn't in perfect condition, and I unfortunately dented the filter ring, so I can't use my variable ND filter (which I need to use)... Probably going to sell it.

So, I found a new one, and it was a combo of a yashica camera, SMC Takumar 1.4 (in very good condition) and Yashinon DX 1.4, for a total of 51$ and shipping 15$. And there was only 10 watchers and 3 bids (one of them was mine). I think I got REALLY lucky!

I asked to only ship the 2 lenses, so that the shipping is cheaper! I'm just wondering if the Yashica lens is worth keeping, maybe I'll just resell it and keep the takumar lens.
01-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Most old Yashinons are fantastic lenses, although the Taks are put together better. All of the DX series are quite good. If it is chrome version of the DX, it looks really cool too. The problem with the DX 50/1.4 and also the DX 50/1.7 is that when focused at infinity the rear element sticks out so far it will hit the mirror on some cameras -- you'll never be able to use the DX on a full-frame DSLR with a big mirror. I've had no trouble with it on my K-5 and K10D, but some others have. The later DS-M series avoids this problem and added better coatings. The DS-M 50/1.4 is one of my favorites, and I prefer it to the SMC Tak 50/1.4 except when I'm going as light and compact as possible -- the Yashinons are rather large.

01-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Most old Yashinons are fantastic lenses, although the Taks are put together better. All of the DX series are quite good. If it is chrome version of the DX, it looks really cool too. The problem with the DX 50/1.4 and also the DX 50/1.7 is that when focused at infinity the rear element sticks out so far it will hit the mirror on some cameras -- you'll never be able to use the DX on a full-frame DSLR with a big mirror. I've had no trouble with it on my K-5 and K10D, but some others have. The later DS-M series avoids this problem and added better coatings. The DS-M 50/1.4 is one of my favorites, and I prefer it to the SMC Tak 50/1.4 except when I'm going as light and compact as possible -- the Yashinons are rather large.
Do you think it will be fine on a Canon t4i? I don't want to risk damaging the mirror...
01-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iNicole Quote
Do you think it will be fine on a Canon t4i? I don't want to risk damaging the mirror...
No, I don't -- I've heard it has trouble with Canons. On the Pentaxes it seems hit or miss -- just a matter of less than a millimeter that seems to depend on the camera/lens combo. Like I said, I use mine with no issue on the K-5. But I think other brands the mirror sticks out farther and any full-frame will be hopeless. (They didn't even work on the later Yashinon film cameras -- their manuals used to come with a warning not to use the older DX 50s.) It is only when focused at far distance/infinity -- you can pop it on and focus close-up and you'll be fine if you want to try it. But I'd save it for a mirrorless...
01-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have both DX 50/1.4 and DS-M 50/1.4. I have no problem using them on my k-7 and k-5. The rear lens element sticks out about 3/8" beyond the screw thread; since the mirror in the full frame is a bit larger, it may pose a problem on full frame camera, but certainly not on the k-7 or K-5. The DX lens is a bit heavier than the DS-M lens. The coating on the DS-M is a bit nicer in terms of color rendition and contrast, IMHO, however, the DX is also very good too.
01-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well, since I cannot use the Yashinon DX 50 1.4 on my camera, how much do you guys think I could sell this for?

Attached Images

01-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Just tried the DX 50/1.4 on the K-01 -- it actually bangs into the inside, it is not as open as it could be on the top where the viewfinder isn't (it has a frame-like area -- hits the top of that). So much for mirrorless! Works ok on my K-5. I don't think any of the DS-Ms are a problem -- they don't stick out nearly as far. I believe the DX 50/1.7 is even worse than the 1.4...
01-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iNicole Quote
Well, since I cannot use the Yashinon DX 50 1.4 on my camera, how much do you guys think I could sell this for?
Looks a bit beat up, and the Yashinons don't command the prices of the Taks, so probably $30 at best. And then of course if you're honest, you've got to warn potential buyers about the protruding rear, which makes the market smaller...
01-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter

so probably $30 at best
That may be a little high.

Steve