Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #1

Light meter on my pentax MX not showing 'correct' exposure

Hi guys, I hope its okay I post here for my first post

I 'inherited' my fathers Pentax MX a few months ago and only recently go around to shooting with it. The light meter works the only problem I have is that its not showing what should be the 'correct' exposure according to the light meter. I adjust the shutter speed and aperture and it would be underexposed then skip straight to over exposed. I have also been carrying around my dSLR to use as a make shift light meter for situations and a scene at 1/500th @ f/8.0 on ISO400 (I'm using Portra 400 in the MX) that is correctly exposed on my dSLR is underexposed according to the Pentax MX.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be? I'd really like to continue shooting with it but don't want to waste money on film if I'm going to ruin each roll (I have no problem with underexposed imagery but I don't think that the image will be underexposed when I press the shutter)

Thanks in advance

01-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried changing the battery? It could be that it is almost dry.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #3

pretty sure that it's just the battery – if the light meter still works in low light situations the battery will be empty
01-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nild Quote
pretty sure that it's just the battery if the light meter still works in low light situations the battery will be empty
I put new batteries in before I started shooting though and was still experiencing the same problem

01-24-2013, 04:12 AM   #5

I shoot with an MX too and my light meter recently went bad. After I exhausted everything that was within my comfort level to fix the problem myself, I brought it down to the local camera shop and they repaired in just a couple of days it for 80 USD, along with replacing the light seals and giving it a full tune up. Very worth it in my opinion. Good luck
01-24-2013, 05:11 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And you will not miss an exposure ever again.
01-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter

The meter probably needs to be recalibrated, so I would send it to Eric for a CLA.
He can also do the light seals, so you will basically have a new camera after he is done.

Here is Eric's web site:

Home

Phil
01-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Agree on sending to Eric. The MX meter circuit wraps over the top of the prism, with flat pots to adjust the meter. There are foam pads under the cover on top of this area which turn gummy and foul the pots. Probably just needs cleaning and adjust - and Eric is very reasonable for this.

01-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Eric fixed the meter on my MX, but after i got it back from him it turned out to underexpose by exactly 2 stops (I calibrated it against a couple of handheld meters). This is actually kind of great, because now I can shoot Tmax 3200 on it with no problems. So I decided not to send it back for adjustment...it's not a bug, it's a feature!
01-24-2013, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

Hit3k
There is one condition where the MX will do do as you describe in normal operation.
If you set iso 800 or 1600, the metering will be disabled below 1/4 and 1/8 sec respectively, and in this case the "under" red led comes on.
So when you shift from 1/8 to 1/15, the leds can change from "under" to 'over" without transition through the yellow and green leds.

But as you mention it is skipping yellow and green at iso 400 and 1/500, then I agree it must be faulty.
01-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a similar problem with my KX that I figure was due to a "dry" capacitor. After some use with a fresh battery, the meter set itself right, though I expect that a meter repair is in my future.

Steve
01-26-2013, 03:21 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the info guys. I'd like to send it to Eric however I'm too cheap to pay for international shipping (I'm located in Australia) so I'll source an Aussie camera repair shop.
01-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #13

hit3k
before sending it off for service try cleaning the battery compartment and cover with some electrical contact cleaner on a cotton bud/qtip. Jaycar will have it as well as most electrical suppliers like Turks or Ideal electrics. If there is any corrosion evident in there a gentle rub with a pencil eraser helps as well. I also clean the batteries with contact cleaner before inserting them.
if you are going to leave batteries in the camera for extended periods silver oxide cells are much longer lasting than alkalines and seem to have a much more stable discharge over time. Its a real pity we don't have easy access to Eric down under. Hope this helps.
02-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hit3k
There is one condition where the MX will do do as you describe in normal operation.
If you set iso 800 or 1600, the metering will be disabled below 1/4 and 1/8 sec respectively, and in this case the "under" red led comes on.
So when you shift from 1/8 to 1/15, the leds can change from "under" to 'over" without transition through the yellow and green leds.

But as you mention it is skipping yellow and green at iso 400 and 1/500, then I agree it must be faulty.
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but thank you for this specific passage. I just popped some ISO800 film in my MX and started flipping out at the weird behaviour until I stumbled upon your explanation.

On a sadder note, though, I still found out that my Eric-CLA'ed MX's meter seems to indicate 1 stop overexposure compared to what is right. I checked against a handheld meter with a freshly installed battery as well as another MX I had lying around which I tested with the same battery and lens as the first MX.

Any thoughts on this? Possible causes, fixes (other than sending it again to Eric, which is a no go because of shipping fees and all)?
03-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #15

Adjustment is possible with the pots under the top cover. If you;re unhappy with that then just set the ISO to double the box (rated) speed. Depending on your film and preference, some people set ISO to double box speed on any camera. Overexposure is mostly preferable to underexposure. Two of my old 1960s 35mm rangefinders overexpose by 1-2 stops, more in bright light (hello selenium meters), but are also prone to some stray light on the meter anyway so it's as broad as it's long.