Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #1

confessions of a lens adict

I don't think I ever owned a Pentax before this summer and only started buying them to mount on dslr for stills and video. I was finding crazy bargains locally and managed to pick up a lot of old photographers treasure boxes of slr gear for next to nothing. It was the glass I wanted, didn't even care about the cameras but held on to them like trophies. For the past few months these trophies have sat on my shelf for me to admire. I loved the way they looked and felt. I would pick em up now and again to see how lenses looked through them and I would admire the focus system that seemed a 1000 times better then the lousy crap in my dslrs'. I even added a new split focus to one of my rebels but it wasnt the same at all. I wanted pentax and didn't even know it at the time. Then boom - K-01 drops down to 299 for the body and all my K mount lenses called out "BUY IT" so I did - impressive but that wasn't enough, I had a deeper need.

I didn't know what that something deeper I was craving was until a few days ago when someone gave me another lens. A mint Canon FD 1.4 50mm . I mounted it on my canon dslr with my adapter and shoot wide open. I was disappointed. I knew it was the adapter wrecking the image so I figured there must be a way to use it on my new mirrorless camera without loss but discovered it isn't so simple. Hacking the lens to modify it might work but seemed wrong but I wanted to use it - in the process of debating what to do, I cleaned out one of many camera bags I've collected with my bargains and found a roll of film. Hmm, I looked at a Canon AE1 sitting on the shelf, checked it out - batteries still worked, shutter seemed fine...what the hell, load it up and lets see what this FD lens can do -
36 shots - It took me three days to shoot - so selective...so odd. This is the first roll of film I've shot in years. Man, the feeling of not knowing for sure. The anticipation...the sounds, the everything - I discovered. I missed film and I hate what I've become - slave to email - movies on demand- everything NOW!!! 3 days I slowed my life down to a single shutter click - I decided I wanted more so I found a place that develops and sells film. Bought a couple more rolls, came back to my trophy room and looked at those pretty Pentax SLR's and thought - which one. I tested them all and only three worked - and out of the the three only one had battery power
and that was the Me Super. I read up on it and thought, hell yeah - this will be fun. I kept the lens simple and since the 50mm 1.7 is on the K-01 and getting used a lot, I grabbed the 55mm 1.8 smc Pentax lens that has been on a shelf for months. Locked and loaded and out the door I went. That was this morning -
I've just got back now - shoot half the roll and I feel like a kid at Christmas - This feeling of having to wait - wait for the roll to finish - wait for the right shots - wait for time to take it to the lab - wait for it to be processed and picked up - This feeling I've got and all this anticipation is wild and so badly missed. I know I wont leave digital and I love the results I get for video and stills - but I need film in my life. My name is DMB Video - and I am a lens addict and soon to be full blown Pentax head.

Last edited by dmb video; 01-25-2013 at 04:18 PM.
01-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You've come to the right place. Can we have an amen?
01-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Yep it's an addiction but a legal one!

Enjoy.

Phil.
01-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #4

Great confession

01-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #5

Lens addict ? Sounds more like you might become a film addict! Wait till you try B & W. Have fun!
01-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hoodie Quote
Lens addict ? Sounds more like you might become a film addict! Wait till you try B & W. Have fun!
Thanks and I think you might be right - and it's too late Loaded up a Kiev 19 to try out my Mir 24N and helios 50mm with B&W = - I also bought a couple of rangefinders yesterday on Ebay - The Fed 2 with collapsible lens (industar 10) and a Kiev 4AM with helios 103 - what is next? A darkroom ???
for some reason I can't post any pictures in this thread
01-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dmb video Quote
Thanks and I think you might be right - and it's too late Loaded up a Kiev 19 to try out my Mir 24N and helios 50mm with B&W = - I also bought a couple of rangefinders yesterday on Ebay - The Fed 2 with collapsible lens (industar 10) and a Kiev 4AM with helios 103 - what is next? A darkroom ???
for some reason I can't post any pictures in this thread
You got it bad, man...

Steve
01-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Very funny because I'm working on a roll of 36 exp. B&W... ya' it's weird that I have to wait to see how the picture came out. It is fun though, you're right.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 01-27-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: spelling error
01-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
Very funny because I'm working on a roll of 36 exp. B&W... ya' it's weird that I have to wait to see how the picture came out. It is fun thought, you're right.
I love it - bought 10 more rolls of color and three B&W which lead to more googling. I guess I must of planted my own seed earlier by saying "...what is next? A darkroom?"....umm why not - just ordering what I need right now and using this as a guide
Developing Black and White Film at Home
01-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I got to looking at processing costs and it's cheaper for me to send out film to Kansas than to Walgreens a mile away. Crazy. I'm thinking about learning to do my own B&W processing. I just need the negs to scan into my Epson V500 Photo.
01-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #11

Original Poster
I got to looking at processing costs and it's cheaper for me to send out film to Kansas than to Walgreens a mile away. Crazy. I'm thinking about learning to do my own B&W processing. I just need the negs to scan into my Epson V500 Photo.
Yeah, It seems very easy and affordable to do - not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself - I just bought the V500 last night as well - local store had it on sale for 140 - I can't wait .
01-27-2013, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've just got back now - shoot half the roll and I feel like a kid at Christmas - This feeling of having to wait - wait for the roll to finish - wait for the right shots - wait for time to take it to the lab - wait for it to be processed and picked up - This feeling I've got and all this anticipation is wild and so badly missed.
It's great to hear that you've picked up film and joined us. Welcome to the club. I have to say though, I absolutely agree with you. I love the rush of getting my prints back and seeing what I have.
01-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Yeah, It seems very easy and affordable to do - not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself - I just bought the V500 last night as well - local store had it on sale for 140 - I can't wait .
I spent a bunch of time online looking into doing my own B&W developing and I'm gonna jump in. Looks fun and keeps the cost way down per roll. I have no interest in shooting color film since I have so much fun with digital pics. But B&W on film gets the creative juices flowing.
01-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #14

Original Poster
I spent a bunch of time online looking into doing my own B&W developing and I'm gonna jump in. Looks fun and keeps the cost way down per roll. I have no interest in shooting color film since I have so much fun with digital pics. But B&W on film gets the creative juices flowing.
Yeah - I thought I would only do B&W as well until I saw this - moominstuff: Color film developing at home: Easy!
just orderd a couple color kits as well
I also bought a few older cool cameras on Ebay that I want to shoot color on- the two I am most excited about is th fed 2 range finder and a RICOH DIACORD TLR medium format - Not to mention I bought ten more rolls of fuji color for the pentax cameras. This is going to be fun. I've even begun a website as well to track my journey into film
Edmonton Photographer- DMB - this is just my personal stuff with photography - my work site is Edmonton Videographer- David Mathew Bonner- Professional Videography for Marketing & Corporate Video Productions - I try to keep my hobby and my work separate,

Last edited by dmb video; 01-29-2013 at 02:02 PM.
01-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #15

I love it - bought 10 more rolls of color and three B&W which lead to more googling. I guess I must of planted my own seed earlier by saying "...what is next? A darkroom?"....umm why not - just ordering what I need right now and using this as a guide
Developing Black and White Film at Home

You can even develop your B/W in coffee. So thera are no chemicals needed. How to Develop Film Using Coffee and Vitamin C! Srsly! | Photojojo