Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #1

Pentax LX; help, what happened here!

Hello everyone. I wonder if anyone can advise me? I took some shots yesteerday which I think are washed out. Please forgive the composition and other errors- I am a novice.

I was taking photos of a church with the sun behind me which was bright and lighting up the church. I think at some stage I have - in auto- set the exposure compensation dial to 2 which may be the problem. Should I have gone the other way- I think so, ie 1/2 or, should I just have just taken a reading from darkest and lightest parts of scene and set shutter speed in the middle= in manual?

I have posted a few of the photos in low res - I hope that is allowed and any advice on what I have done and what I should have done from the Pentax Community would be most welcome. Thanks.

John

Attached Images

01-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you set the dial to +2, then that would be overexposing the photo by two stops. However, these photos don't look like they're overexposed by that much. Given the scene I'd say that the dynamic range is pretty good, actually.

I've noticed that the sky is grainy in all of the photos. Is this because of JPEG compression? If so, then you can probably blame the compression for the washed out highlights as well. If not, then you need to get some lower ISO film

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-28-2013, 03:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. Intersting. It was hp5 at 400 ( I had thought and believed that this gave a "grainy effect"). Then Epson 500 scanner. I just think the church is too light but I am not sure. I used an orange filter.
01-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you had the exposure compensation set on 0, the church would definitely been darker, but going to -2 may not have been necessary. Is the church built from a light coloured stone? This may be part of the problem. It may have been good to go up to the church and meter on it, note the settings for correctly exposing the church and then trying a few shots of the rest on manual using those settings. Apart from the church, the rest of the exposure looks pretty good. It reminds me of an old washing powder advertisement here: "It makes the whites whiter and the brights brighter".

One thing to check is the two film advance caps on the bottom of the body. I doubt that would be causing any problems, but you can get some film fogging if they are off without a winder installed. That would also cause general fogging , not specific patches, unless the centre of the frame is above one of the holes before or after shooting another one .

01-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Chuckie. Lol at whites whiter. Yes I am missing a cap from the camera on the shutter button side. I will try to get one for it but suspect the main problem is the plus 2 compensation here although maybe it is not too bad as the film is allowing for things like this, I believe. The stone was light coloured.

When you say meter on the church I think that means go nearer until church fills frame and use that shutter reading?

Thanks for all the help by the way

John

Last edited by Snapper_UK; 01-28-2013 at 04:21 AM.
01-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapper_UK Quote
Hello everyone. I wonder if anyone can advise me? I took some shots yesteerday which I think are washed out. Please forgive the composition and other errors- I am a novice.

I was taking photos of a church with the sun behind me which was bright and lighting up the church. I think at some stage I have - in auto- set the exposure compensation dial to 2 which may be the problem. Should I have gone the other way- I think so, ie 1/2 or, should I just have just taken a reading from darkest and lightest parts of scene and set shutter speed in the middle= in manual?

I have posted a few of the photos in low res - I hope that is allowed and any advice on what I have done and what I should have done from the Pentax Community would be most welcome. Thanks.

John
The exposures do not look that bad to me. HP5 tolerates overexposure quite well unless the film is overdeveloped as well as overexposed.

Have you tried correcting your scans? Are you acquainted with Professional Mode in Epson Scan? The Histogram Adjustment function should take care of most of the problem.
01-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
Another thought. In the first photo. The portrait mode shot. The trees by the church..conifers? really seem washed out where other stuff seems ok.

01-28-2013, 04:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi. Yes I use pro mode and after weeks of tria and error find best results are if only leave sharpen mask ticked and then correct exposure etc in elements raw edit prior to bringing shot into main elements edit programe to get rid of dust and to crop.. I have tried all else but this has generally got the best results for me.

I have the darkroom kit in the garage.. one day...!!
01-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Also make sure your LX isn't showing meter errors.

Test the meter by setting the following:
Indoors and low light.
Lens cap on.
Test at 1 sec, 1/15, 1/60, 1/125, 1/2000 with the ASA/ISO set to 6, 100, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
In each of these and as long as there is not an excessive amount of light leaking into the viewfinder, the bottom most red light should be the reading.
If you get flutters at a higher LED, then you may have anywhere from +1 to +4 error.
01-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hi Onion. Its just back from Harrow Technical. I am sure it is metering ok but thanks

John