Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #1

MX shutter release / lock switch fell off

Hello,
I am new to the forum, just posted an intro in the intros thread. Today the shutter release/lock switch unit of my MX became loose and fell off.
I am not sure if something was stripped or the thing just got loose/unscrewed. I examined the part with a magnifying glass but I am still not sure what was the problem. I certainly didn't use any force. The lock/switch felt and moved as what I would consider normal until it suddenly became sloppy and fell off. I somehow cling to the hope this could be a "known problem" and there is a way to reattach the switch easily without a costly repair... I have some very basic camera tools at hand...
I attached two photos that show the situation, I will add a sharper photo of the switch tomorrow morning, the digital P&S just went out of juice...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-TX7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-TX7  Photo 
01-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
The intermediate brass piece is suppose to be mounted to the camera top plate. It is held in place by the round locking fastener.

01-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you, that greatly helps me to understand the situation. It means I have to take off the top plate to get
access to the locking washer. Is top plate removal straight forward, remove shutter speed dial and rewind lever,
then all visible screws? I have a pointed spanner wrench and the appropriate size screw drivers.
Anything to watch out for?
01-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
If you have the right tools then it is easy to remove the top plate. The winder lever screw is left handed so it needs to go clockwise to loosen.

Here is a link to the service manual.
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/mx_sm.pdf

01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the looks of your photos, someone has had that top plate off at some point. They were sloppy with the spanner and scarred the cap on the wind lever. Perhaps your broken lock is the result of the past service?

Steve
01-31-2013, 01:19 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have only had the camera for a couple of months and given its age it could well be it has been serviced in the past. Everything appears to be very smooth and clean. Thank you everyone for your contributions so far. I will take off the top plate this weekend end report on the outcome here.
01-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
Alas, I couldn't wait till the weekend and tackled the repair today. It helped a lot that there are no wires attached to the top plate. I saw some of the sealing foam under the top plate around the prism had deteriorated, I will have to take care of that some other day. The repair itself without problems, the shutter release is back in its intended place and works as designed. As suspected the retaining ring that locks the shutter release assembly against the top plate had unscrewed itself. It was really a simple fix thanks to everyone here. You're great, guys!! One word of caution if anyone should ever face the same problem and read this: Under the base of the shutter release assembly there is a tiny ,tiny spring loaded steel ball. Be careful not to loose the ball and the spring!

05-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #8

Hi! Thanks for the post. I have an MX with a loose shutter lock. Is there some way to tighten without removing the top plate? A little nervous about losing the ball & spring.
05-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by becker163 Quote
Hi! Thanks for the post. I have an MX with a loose shutter lock. Is there some way to tighten without removing the top plate? A little nervous about losing the ball & spring.
This is a very old thread- I would recommend starting a new one

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: