Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #1

Infrared-Film withouth IR-Filter?

Hi
Does somebody know the LomoChrome Purple 400 Film? The manufacturer claims you can shoot IR without the need for a filter... i wonder if the results are good or if the "normal" light has an effect and the results are not as good as with a filter...
Anyone?
Micha

01-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know that film. I shot some Efke IR820c IR film last year and did some testings of filters, no filter, red filter, IR filter. Once you solve the exposure issues that the film and filters create, I recall that the best results (to me) came with the IR filter. Unfortunately, I can't find my notes of the test at this point. Honestly IR film is a personal exploration journey. There is a lot of information out on the internet that is very conflicting. Your best choice is to 1) follow the manufactures directions (if possible), 2) keep notes, and 3) do enough testing until you feel comfortable with it. Personally, I'm still in the testing phase. I will say that the Efke film medium is very thin, delicate, and very prone to scratching. YMMV
01-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I don't know that film. I shot some Efke IR820c IR film last year and did some testings of filters, no filter, red filter, IR filter. Once you solve the exposure issues that the film and filters create, I recall that the best results (to me) came with the IR filter. Unfortunately, I can't find my notes of the test at this point. Honestly IR film is a personal exploration journey. There is a lot of information out on the internet that is very conflicting. Your best choice is to 1) follow the manufactures directions (if possible), 2) keep notes, and 3) do enough testing until you feel comfortable with it. Personally, I'm still in the testing phase. I will say that the Efke film medium is very thin, delicate, and very prone to scratching. YMMV
And no longer in production
01-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Lomo film is colour so it would not use the traditional b&w IR filters.

I think this Lomo film just flips the colours to get the IR effect, so no filters are needed.

The easiest b&w IR film to play with is Ilford SFX, which is actually more of a “red sensitive” than a true IR film. You don’t have to worry about loading/unloading the film in dark and it works really well with a dark red filter, so you still can focus normally.

Phil.

01-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
And no longer in production
Efke film is not in production?
01-30-2013, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Efke film is not in production?
Their coating equipment broke down and was not economically feasible to replace. This affected all film and I think paper production for EFKE. There has been some discussion of perhaps another company trying to make it but that is the last I heard about it.
01-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for that. I had not heard of this.

Wow, I've just read more about this. It happened last August. I've got more than a few rolls in the freezer after that...no more.

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 01-30-2013 at 01:02 PM.
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for that. I had not heard of this.

Wow, I've just read more about this. It happened last August. I've got more than a few rolls in the freezer after that...no more.
Adox is the replacement for Efke. (Efke used Adox formulas)

- About ADOX -

Phil.
01-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks guys yes it seems it's not real IR but just a film that has false colours... .-/
01-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The easiest b&w IR film to play with is Ilford SFX
...or Rollei Retro 80s. Both have extended red sensitivity. Use the RR 80s with an IR filter and you get typical IR results. Shed the filter and get a real decent fine-grained film for landscape and certain types of portraits and nudes.

Steve
01-31-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...or Rollei Retro 80s. Both have extended red sensitivity. Use the RR 80s with an IR filter and you get typical IR results. Shed the filter and get a real decent fine-grained film for landscape and certain types of portraits and nudes.

Steve
I'll have to try the Rollei Retro, sounds good!

Thanks, Phil.