Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CLA in Toronto West / Hamilton Ontario?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

01-31-2013, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

CAMTECH PHOTOGRAPHIC SERVICES LIMITED(Hamilton, Ontario)

Used them for my Canonet, did a good job
01-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just sent him a note prior to posting I like Concession street too.. I know where to find it!
02-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #4

I take all of my cameras to Nortown Photo on Harvester between Walkers and Appleby. He is very good and used to be a Pentax repair facility (until they took all that work in house).

02-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does Pentax still service film bodies? They never responded to an email I sent.
02-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simian Summit Quote
I take all of my cameras to Nortown Photo on Harvester between Walkers and Appleby. He is very good and used to be a Pentax repair facility (until they took all that work in house).
I have used Nortown as well for sensor cleaning on my Nikon D300. He did it while I waited! Very reasonable as well.
02-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Does Pentax still service film bodies? They never responded to an email I sent.
No not for a long time.

I would send any Pentax film bodies to Eric for a CLA, he will do better work than a local shop. I made the mistake of letting a local repair shop in Vancouver fix my KX film body. I had to send it to Eric to fix the mess they created.

Phil.

02-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I would send any Pentax film bodies to Eric for a CLA, he will do better work than a local shop. I made the mistake of letting a local repair shop in Vancouver fix my KX film body. I had to send it to Eric to fix the mess they created.
I don't know, this hasn't been my experience. Although this being said Nortown wasn't able to fix the sticky mirror syndrome on my LX, but for any job that wasn't done to their own satisfaction were at no charge (this also happened with a Yashica Electro). But so far I've had him take of at least a half a dozen jobs on my film cameras and they always came back in a much better condition that I sent them in.
02-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For convenience of not having to package, post any items to a US destination, I opted to try out Camtech - he's been at it for some time, and he must be good considering the plight of independent business - because his advertising is terrible
02-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
For convenience of not having to package, post any items to a US destination, I opted to try out Camtech - he's been at it for some time, and he must be good considering the plight of independent business - because his advertising is terrible
That’s the hard part for me as well as I live 4 blocks from one camera repair shop and 10 from the other one.

Unfortunately they have both screwed up two Pentax repairs that I gave them, so I would never go back for any reason. One place actually “lost” my 30 year old K55/1.8 that was attached to my KX. The other place is actually an authorized Pentax repair outlet.

If you have a local place that can do a basic CLA then maybe use them, but for anything out of the ordinary I would still use Eric even if it means sending it to the US. I’ve sent about a dozen cameras and a few lenses to Eric and it’s not a hassle. His prices are also probably cheaper than your local shop. He also will have access to more spare Pentax parts than any local shop.

Phil.
02-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll keep that in mind Phil. Cheers
02-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Another vote for Camtech. They have done great work for me:
  • repair a sticky control dial on my MZ-S
  • CLA for a Rollei 2.8F Planar
  • repair sticky rangefinder on a Fuji GS645s
  • CLA for a Yashica LM

The fellow talks to you personally about the work and explains everything he did. I drive to Hamilton from Toronto because I trust him (and the price is great.)

I have also used Eric, to repair my LX. I knew it likely needed parts (there were light meter switching issues) and Eric would be most likely able to source parts and do the job right. Eric was also a pleasure to do business with. But shipping is an extra expense.