Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #1

which body?!?

coming from dslr systems....

i tried the pentax 645 mf... and enjoyed it...

now... i want to try 35mm (coz its cheaper!)

anyways... what body should i get?
the most common one that i see is the mx or k1000...

which one is better... or might as well suggest a good one for me

i'll be using mainly a 50 1.4 for it

btw... i would like the classic look too... all metal, two tone... manual is fine

02-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I will suggest ME Super, you may not be able to effectively use 50/1.4 with MX or K1000 due to limited shutter speed (1/1000)
02-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I will suggest ME Super, you may not be able to effectively use 50/1.4 with MX or K1000 due to limited shutter speed (1/1000)
ok ill consider that suggestion.

so what are the advantages of the ME super to the MX or K1000?
because when i look at the specs... these manual cameras have super similiar specs

Last edited by ponggo; 02-01-2013 at 10:00 AM.
02-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ponggo Quote
ok ill consider that suggestion.

so what are the advantages of the ME super to the MX or K1000?
because when i look at the specs... these manual cameras have super similiar specs
1/2000th shutter speed, higher flash sync speed, and Av mode. Disadvantage is setting manual shutter speed with buttons instead of a dial. Personally I would suggest the Super Program (Super A) over the ME Super. The LX is almost as expensive as a 645.

02-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some users did see the push buttons as an advantage - including the Pentax people themselves.

The K1000 is of the first Pentax K bajonet series, and only with the M series bodies became really small, and lighter, without loosing their sturdyness.
The MX has DOF preview, the others haven't.
The MX shows the set aperture value in the VF. But, as these cameras get older, the optical path of the Judas window often becomes kind of foggy, so sometimes you will need a CLA to really use that feature.
K1000 and MX can use all exposure times without batteries, the ME Super only 1/125 and B.
The sensitivity of the ME Super lightmeter is slightly better than of the MX, and much better than of the K1000.
In Av mode, the ME Super will use any exposure time in between the fixed values you can choose in manual. It also offers exposure times up to 4 seconds in manual and auto, the others only 1 second.
The flash exposure time of the ME Super is slightly shorter than with the MX and K1000.
The ME Super has a film advance indicator, showing whether film transport is still working.
The MX can use a winder and a (slightly faster) motor, as well as big film magazines for automated shooting.
The MX offers changable VF screens.
The ME Super can use the winders ME and ME II. As with the MX, these have an electric outlet, which can be used for timer and remote functions (these make more sense than with the MX because of the Av mode).
And, as mentioned by boriscleto, only the ME Super offers the 1/2000 second.
02-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As boriscleto suggested, you should also have a look for the Super A/Super Program.

I used the ME Super and the Super A both for many years nearly daily, and when the Super A became my standard camera with the A-1.4/50 attached, the ME Super with the M-2/50 still stayed in the boot of my car for unexpected occasions.

I preferred the Super A mainly for the P mode (for occasions when there is no time to think about settings), and for the TTL flash considering macros. Sometimes the DOF preview became handy, too. For every day shootings (people), I was not always satisfied with TTL flashing, and finally switched back to the built-in auto mode of the Metz flashes, which gave much more consistant exposures. By the way, the VF of the MX and ME Super is better than the one of the Super A.

By the way, the Super A is dead without batteries. When I once dropped my ME Super, an electronic circuit was damaged. At that time I had already promised to shoot at 2 party events, and couldn't risk to send the ME Super for repairs. But as the 1/125 second is mechanical, there wasn't a problem for all the flash shootings.
02-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get a KX, it's better than the MX or K1000.

Phil.

02-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
you may not be able to effectively use 50/1.4 with MX or K1000 due to limited shutter speed (1/1000)
Huh? The difference will only buy you 1 stop. Better to simply use slower film or ND filters if you want to use wide apertures in full sun.

Steve
02-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How are you looking to shoot, most of the time? Auto, shutter priority, averture priority, manual, or unmetered?
02-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
How are you looking to shoot, most of the time? Auto, shutter priority, averture priority, manual, or unmetered?
i basically shoot full manual even with my dslrs so metering is not really that much of a problem... but of course... it helps if it has metering...

my question is... why do people keep on saying that the pentax k1000 or mx is the best if... from you guys... you say that there is something better than it? now im puzzled
02-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i basically shoot full manual even with my dslrs so metering is not really that much of a problem... but of course... it helps if it has metering...

my question is... why do people keep on saying that the pentax k1000 or mx is the best if... from you guys... you say that there is something better than it? now im puzzled
The K1000 was never the best even when it was released. The K1000 was produced for so long because it was a good student camera, little more than a light tight box with a basic light meter devoid of any frills. The KM and KX are both better cameras if you can find them in usable condition. That is the main problem with cameras made before the late 1980s, the foam seals and mirror bumper almost always need to be replaced.
02-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The K1000 was never the best even when it was released. The K1000 was produced for so long because it was a good student camera, little more than a light tight box with a basic light meter devoid of any frills. The KM and KX are both better cameras if you can find them in usable condition. That is the main problem with cameras made before the late 1980s, the foam seals and mirror bumper almost always need to be replaced.
i'll take that into account... just gotta look for the right body... at the right price now!
02-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #13

I donated the last of my K1000 bodies last year, but don't expect to part with my MX even if/when I finally buy a Pentax DSLR. It was CLA'd in August (foam seals replaced too), and is my primary walk around camera. For me, the DOF preview was the big reason I prefer the MX over the K1000. I could live without the aperture and shutter speed in the viewfinder, but am glad it's there. I also found the MX fits in my hand better when held for vertical shots, something I do a lot. But the K1000 is serviceable, and it's already in hand, and you will find them for much less than the MX.
02-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #14

Original Poster
ok. now i found a kx with a 50 1.4... is $80 a fair value for the package?

is this a good enough deal? or might as well look for another one. thanks!
02-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

ok. now i found a kx with a 50 1.4... is $80 a fair value for the package?

is this a good enough deal? or might as well look for another one. thanks!
Of course this will depend on the overall condition of both the body and lens, and which series lens (K, M, or A). But generally speaking, I believe its a good price. You will find that just the lens, regardless of series, sells for more on ebay or online resellers like keh.com.