Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clay Quote
Re props all in same position: When returning a rental plane, a vertical
prop tells the fuel truck it needs a re-fill. Horizontal prop means its still
has enough for at least another hour's rental plus reserve fuel.

Best regards,

/Clay
Today I learned that prop placement is not random. Thanks for supplying my thing to learn today .

02-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clay Quote
Re props all in same position: When returning a rental plane, a vertical
prop tells the fuel truck it needs a re-fill. Horizontal prop means its still
has enough for at least another hour's rental plus reserve fuel.

Best regards,

/Clay
Interesting Clay, that doesn't seem to be a common practice in Australia. Most light plane operators are flying schools and as such have agreements with Avgas providers to fill the plane up straight away or with a phone call.
Does that mean the pilot or the tanker operator get out and move the prop position to indicate it doesn't need fuel?
02-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #18

The rental pilot swings it when he is through with it at my two clubs
here in Toronto Canada. Other outfits will have their own system.
Kind of breaks my rule of Never get in path of a prop, still or not!
Second rule, stick your own finger in the tank before you take off!
Best regards,
/Clay
02-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We have that rule also. I imagine a swinging prop would do a lot of damage to a human limb
On a more photographic note, my film trying addiction got the better of me and a grabbed a new roll of film. Local shop doesn't have the biggest range so I just bought a roll of Kodak gold 200. Have heard 200's aren't that great but figured I would try something different.

02-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Louicio, Kodak 200 is a decent film.
Do not get too hung up in which film is best, jst find the one you like and use it.

At this point you are training on how to get the est out of a camera/lens combination and film is just your medium
02-06-2013, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #21

Yeah, we got off topic. I use Kodak Gold 200 I have stashed in the
freezer. Seem to be using more and more expired film these days,
price is right and it works for me. Use maybe 6 fresh rolls a year, rest
expired. Back to your question, yes probably dust on negs.When we
had real printing paper, that's what spotting fluid was for, ha!

Best regards,

/Clay
02-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #22

I guess if I had to pick a favorite film it would be Kodak Portra (160 or 400) for color and Tri-X for B&W but I have a stash of Kodak Gold 200 and just put up a post on my blog about my recent experiences with it.

I Still Shoot Film Too (Also)

Gold 200 is not a bad film at all. I like it but it is 20th century film and I think it's better suited for "wet prints" than scanning and today's dry prints. Portra was designed with scanning in mind and better suited for the way we do things these days - unless of course you're doing your own "wet work."

02-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I forgot.... Kodak 200 is great if you rate it one third less
That mean in the ASA setting of your camera go to 200 and move the indicator to the previous dot
02-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
I imagine a swinging prop would do a lot of damage to a human limb
Yep, a swinging prop can do a lot of damage. I have a close friend who experienced this first hand. He was rotating the prop on a cold engine as part of pre-flight checklist and for an unknown reason the engine fired. The prop caught the sleeve of his jacket and flipped him upside down where the next blade caught his leg and almost severed it at the thigh. Not good.

Yes...he survived and with minimal permanent damage too. Angels. That is all I can say...Angels.

Steve
02-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, a swinging prop can do a lot of damage. I have a close friend who experienced this first hand. He was rotating the prop on a cold engine as part of pre-flight checklist and for an unknown reason the engine fired. The prop caught the sleeve of his jacket and flipped him upside down where the next blade caught his leg and almost severed it at the thigh. Not good.

Yes...he survived and with minimal permanent damage too. Angels. That is all I can say...Angels.

Steve
That's brutal. Glad to hear he survived and with minimal permanent damage he is a very lucky man indeed.
02-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I forgot.... Kodak 200 is great if you rate it one third less
That mean in the ASA setting of your camera go to 200 and move the indicator to the previous dot
Ah, that's why faces seem washed out sometimes. I had the same problem with Tri-X until I started underexposing by 1/2 stop. Thanks!
02-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
Inactive Account

http://www.amazon.com/Photography-Focus-5th-Ed-McGraw-Hill/dp/0844257818/ref...raphy+in+focus

Photography In Focus 5th ed is an excellent introductory text book to film and printing.
02-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizowel Quote
I had the same problem with Tri-X until I started underexposing by 1/2 stop. Thanks!
It's more complicated than that. You just can't say, oh, Tri-X, everyone under expose 1/2 stop and you're good-to-go.
02-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Louicio, Kodak 200 is a decent film.
Do not get too hung up in which film is best, jst find the one you like and use it.

At this point you are training on how to get the est out of a camera/lens combination and film is just your medium
I guess the bright side here is there are far fewer films to go thru today before finding the one you like. Even ten years ago it was a pretty challenging task to experiement with a variety of films with me ending up reading countless reviews of films in the back of Pop Photo or some such magazine.
02-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #30

Photos: Gallery
Dust... OMFG... when it comes to color fim, second after annoying processing labs that automatically "correct" your photos, this is the most annoying thing.

If you are at Swinburne, see if they still have the (b/w) darkroom available (my old haunt). Then at least (if you're anything like me) you only have yourself to blame for dust and everything else.

Hawthorn Photographics near Swinburne used to be good but I see they are no more.