Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #1

need help choosing a film

Next week I will be going to Catalina
Ill be mostly taking pictures of the sunset, the boating marina at night and the city at night
I havent used slide film so i really want to try out velvia 100 but have read that it isnt good for nightshots and was wondering if i should use portra 160 instead
Any expierences or any thoughts would be helpful

02-08-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Zou

Personally I like Provia 400X. In low light that may be a better option. If shooting on 120 the grain is not to be worried about, on 35mm it depends on your personal taste.
02-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
I'll be shooting 35mm but its not the speed im worried about because ill be using a tripod its the reviews ive read about the color change for longer exposures on velvia
02-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Velvia is also more contrasty and as a slide film has a narrower dynamic range. Years ago I used to shoot Kodak black and white and Fuji colour and now it is the exact opposite. I think that either Kodak or Fuji's negative films would be suitable with the possible exception of Ektar which has higher contrast than the others but on the other hand that might be just what you want.

I have switched entirely from shooting slide film due to the local lab does only C41 now (but up to 8X10 film though). I would not shoot night shots as the first subject for slide film if you have not shoot them before. If the look of Velvia is one you like then maybe Ektar would be a good choice. Also depending on how much you are shooting try one roll of Ektar and one of Portra or its Fuji equvilant and see which you perfer.

Have fun and film is still cheap compared to what it was decades ago.