Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

New (old) spotmatic with a couple of issues

I just started playing with a Spotmatic I found at a flea market a few months ago. I took a roll of film and was thrilled by how the pictures turned out! But, I have two small issues with the camera.

1) All the photos on the roll developed with a few narrow yellow horizontal bands across the top half. Not sure if this is the fault of the film or the camera? Example: http://i.imgur.com/ivi2E36.jpg. The black box is my addition for privacy.

Do these bands indicate that light is leaking from the top? (Or the bottom?) If so, maybe electrical tape over the back slits could help?

2) My light meter works great for a few minutes, and then suddenly stops working. When it works, it works perfectly. When it doesn't, when the switch is pushed, the needle moves slightly up but not quite to horizontal and then it stays there. Sometimes, flicking the camera with my finger "unsticks" the needle and makes it work again.

I think this may just be a battery contact issue? On a friend's recommendation, I'm using an Energizer 392/384 with lots of paper rolled around it to make it fit. Any recommendations for a battery that fits properly?

Thanks for the help!

02-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The lines look like a scanning issue. I used to get results like that from a Walgreens here before they fixed their scanner.
The meter could be battery or switch contacts. I believe the 387S is the correct size, although 1.5V - but that shouldn't matter with the Spotmatic. There is also a Wein cell that fits - I believe the Wein Cell RM400 / V400PX or the Exell Z400PX. I'd try the correct fitting battery (make sure the compartment contacts are cleaned well) - then worry about the switch if the battery doesn't fix it.
02-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think the lines should be scanner's problem. I would suggest you shoot another roll and change a place for developing it. Try some local library (or university libraries) to see whether they have a Epson photo scanner. (In most cases the fine & arts library should have this one).
And I think that could be batteries' problem, but not sure.
02-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might be scanner, might be the processing, unlikely it is your camera. Are the lines visible on the negative, either as scratches or in the image?

As for batteries...do a Google search for "S400PX Battery". The most common brand is Excell (marketed by Interstate). It consists of a silver button cell pressed into a plastic collar so that it will fit properly in the spotty's battery compartment.

Steve