Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Replacement MX focusing screens do from time to time appear on eBay. Mirror Bumper foam is quite easily replaced and you should do the door light seals at the same time. It takes about an hour and there are pre-cut kits available from John Goodman that are very good for about $15. Dust in the viewfinder should not be in the light path of the film. I don't know what you mean by latent.
Definitely do the foam and seals yourself. It is very easy, and the kit monochrome mentioned is really good. Not to mention the pride of accomplishment! I bought one in maybe 2007 and I've still only barely made a dent in it after maybe half a dozen or so cameras. A slow shutter may require a CLA -- I had Eric service my MX for maybe US$100 or something.

02-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why do we bother?

The OP has already sold this camera in the Pentax Forums Marketplace.

Chris
02-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Sorry for not noticing here. But I did sell that. However still thank you and other posters' advices.
Have a great weekend!
02-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris

You mean the OP was not waiting in eager anticipation for the sweet drops of our wisdom? I am thoroughly disheartened.

Steve

02-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

You mean the OP was not waiting in eager anticipation for the sweet drops of our wisdom? I am thoroughly disheartened.

Steve
Im sorry, Im sorry
02-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
Forum Member

Wow, I just looked at my focus screens as well.

Here is another book i have and look at what it says.

02-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Magic Lantern, HP Books and others publish guides for every popular camera brand and model.
Their model-specific information nearly always comes straight from the OEM manual.

It is not surprising that Pentax would prefer you buy additional screens.
OTOH Eric Hendrickson has calibrated exposure meters on countless Pentax MX and LX cameras.
I trust Eric on this one.

Chris

02-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #23
Forum Member

I guess what I don't understand if the LX screens are brighter how do you not have the compensate for that on the MX? Or are the screens truly the same and pentax just wanted to screw people out of more money?
02-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
Forum Member

I answered my own question.

"Screens for the MX and LX
Screens for the MX and LX cameras have the same dimensions, and all have designations with first letter 'S'. Screens for the original LX (those with numbers lower than 40) seem to be about 1/3 EV brighter than the screens for the MX. Screens for the LX 2000 (those with numbers between 60 and 70, sold only for a short time in 2001) seem much brighter than the original ones, but in reality the difference is no more than 1/6 EV.
Like previously discussed, screens designed for the MX can be used in the LX without the need for adjusting the light meter. LX screens in the MX will cause a 1/3 EV underexposure, but such a small difference will be virtually unnoticeable."