Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

MX CLA problem (LIMIT BUDGET)

Hi folks,
Recently I got a Pentax MX + MX winder + M28mm F3.5
The winder and lens are just in good condition and works perfectly---and that's the reason why I bought them.
The only problem is the body. Dust in viewfinder, pretty dirty and scratches on focus screen, the mirror is kind latent, and the mirror bumper/light sealing is gone.
Here is my thoughts:
1) dust in viewfinder won't hurt the image quality so I just will let it be;
2) Focus screen----I took it off and washed it. Sadly water won't help cuz the scratches seems to be permanent. I tried to find one on evilbay but no......May I know what I can do with that?
3) latent mirror: the mirror has like 1mm~2mm's latent problem. I think this might be caused by the missing bumper. If i get mirror bumper could that be fixed? Or, is this one need to be fixed?
4) mirror bumper. there is one set of bumper + etc on evialbay for $15. however....does anyone have anyidea that I can replace it in a very economy way? (like use dish washer foam)?

Thanks in an advance. Also a little ad if someone is interested in the item I listed.

02-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The MX had interchangeable focusing screens. There must be someone somewhere wanting to sell one of the compatible types. A little patience will pay off.

The other parts - I have no experience, and so not informed opinion.
02-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The MX had interchangeable focusing screens. There must be someone somewhere wanting to sell one of the compatible types. A little patience will pay off.

The other parts - I have no experience, and so not informed opinion.
Thank you still.
Yeah I took off the focusing screen and tried to clean it via soap and pure water. does not work.
For the rest parts---let's see.
02-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Forum Member

There was a write up somewhere a long time ago about how to fix that mirror issue by replacing the bumper. As for the focus screen I have some, but the major problem with the MX, is you need to get one for an MX, not LX. They are not interchangable, except the LX can take any of them because of the light meter being in the film box. If you use the wrong one in an MX, the light meet will be off. I will see if any of mine are for an MX, but I do not think so.

02-13-2013, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Replacement MX focusing screens do from time to time appear on eBay. Mirror Bumper foam is quite easily replaced and you should do the door light seals at the same time. It takes about an hour and there are pre-cut kits available from John Goodman that are very good for about $15. Dust in the viewfinder should not be in the light path of the film. I don't know what you mean by latent.
02-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 48548 Quote
There was a write up somewhere a long time ago about how to fix that mirror issue by replacing the bumper. As for the focus screen I have some, but the major problem with the MX, is you need to get one for an MX, not LX. They are not interchangable, except the LX can take any of them because of the light meter being in the film box. If you use the wrong one in an MX, the light meet will be off. I will see if any of mine are for an MX, but I do not think so.
An error in metering caused by using a LX screen could be corrected by changing the ASA/ISO setting, by how much and in what direction I don't know, but a roll of slow film with less lattitude would reveal this. It might be that the error is small enough to be accomodated by the film lattitude.
02-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Eric tells me meter recalibration is not necessary when using an LX screen in an MX.
The difference in light transmission must be negligible.

Chris
02-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Chris, that's good to know!

02-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hi 48548,
Thank you for looking into that. I would like to pay you if you can find one.
Best,
02-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Replacement MX focusing screens do from time to time appear on eBay. Mirror Bumper foam is quite easily replaced and you should do the door light seals at the same time. It takes about an hour and there are pre-cut kits available from John Goodman that are very good for about $15. Dust in the viewfinder should not be in the light path of the film. I don't know what you mean by latent.
latent problem happens to K10D before, due to some QC issue the very early version K10d's mirror would be latent after thousands shutter.
I did sent an email to John and he replied. Thank you for that XD
02-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Pentax LX focusing screens are much easier to find.
My current MX body has an LX focusing screen installed.
It exposes perfectly.

Chris
02-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Forum Member

this where I got the info from, but again this proves I should throw the book away tonight.

Last edited by 48548; 02-15-2013 at 09:41 AM.
02-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
this where I got the info from, but again this proves I should throw the book away tonight.

Basically it says: MX Focusing screen on LX========== works fine but VF will be darker;
LX focusing screen on MX==========incorrectly.
HUmmmm
02-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
Basically it says: MX Focusing screen on LX========== works fine but VF will be darker;
LX focusing screen on MX==========incorrectly.
HUmmmm
As ChrisPlatt noted, there will be almost no difference. You should feel safe using an LX focus screen in an MX body. And since you are doing this on a limited budget, you face a much better chance of finding an LX screen than an MX screen. You can typically find an LX screen for about $25 US on eBay, if you are patient.
02-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
As ChrisPlatt noted, there will be almost no difference. You should feel safe using an LX focus screen in an MX body. And since you are doing this on a limited budget, you face a much better chance of finding an LX screen than an MX screen. You can typically find an LX screen for about $25 US on eBay, if you are patient.
Thank you for your advice!