Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Phil for helping me.

Thanks all for tip and help, I need it......But, it is fun to try and learn.

02-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never claimed that it would look identical. It was your claim that it would be degraded, not different. The cost of processing slide film, or any kind of film, will only escalate as less and less places will be around to process it and less and less of it is manufactured. I still be believe that it can be cost effective to shoot digital and convert only those you like to slides, considering the cost of wasted frames and possibly whole rolls if a problem occurs during processing. And conversion to slides can be had much cheaper than 3.00 us, I only provided a link to that site as a descriptor of the process.. Combined with the advantage of instant review and re-shoot if necessary, I stand by my original recommendation. Oh, and I was developing and mounting my own slides back in the early seventies, b&w and color.
02-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
I still be believe that it can be cost effective to shoot digital and convert only those you like to slides,
I may have missed something. Why would anybody want to convert a digital image to a film transparency?

Steve
02-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I may have missed something. Why would anybody want to convert a digital image to a film transparency?

Steve
For display by carousel.

02-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
For display by carousel.
You mean with a projector? Whatever turns one's crank, I guess. I have a very nice Kodak projector in the closet, but have no desire to give any slide shows. Besides being a pain to set up, projection is also somewhat damaging to the images. I am in the process of digitizing my slides with part of the rational being that I can easily show them on the TV in the family room.

Steve
02-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oh, a projector is so nice.
Classic and cool...., once sett up...
02-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You mean with a projector? Whatever turns one's crank, I guess. I have a very nice Kodak projector in the closet, but have no desire to give any slide shows. Besides being a pain to set up, projection is also somewhat damaging to the images. I am in the process of digitizing my slides with part of the rational being that I can easily show them on the TV in the family room.

Steve
All very sensible; I have done the same. For some of us though, there is a memory of the visceral excitement of the occasions when we had a slide show. I would hold up a slide and think of it as a window into the past. The actual light from the subject had travelled and struck the tangible emulsion on the very slide I was holding. Now I would see the stunning clarity of this picture blown up to a huge size on a clean white wall. I love my Kodachromes, and realize that projecting them is not good for them, so only occasionally do I roll out the projector to use my K5 to photograph them on the screen for future reference, scanning the real keepers.

02-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I guess I'd go with the fastest film I could/would use for indoor shooting with flash. If using a modern TTL flash setup you should see less harshness and more of the background but it depends on just how dark the room is. A fully manual flash would just mean stopping the lens down though.

For both of our daughters' arrivals I packed my old Pentax with a 50/1.4 and Fuji NP film in my wife's hospital bag and had great luck taking their first portraits with available light through the hospital room windows. After nap time, of course. I think shooting slides of the family is a great idea.
02-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #24
Pentaxian

When my daughters were born I had my spotmatic and a pocket digi-cam (when the 2nd was born)

I loaded the spottie with Ilford Delta 3200 which allowed me to shoot in the low light of the hospital without flash not to startle the baby. I ended up shooting as ASA 800 - 1600

A 400 Slide film will work just fine but you will need a very steady hand or a monopod/tripod since hospital lights are quite dim

Sensia 400 or provia 400 are great films, and you can underexpose 1/2 stop with no major problems

Good luck, and enjoy the miracle of becoming a father.

QuoteOriginally posted by vegard_dino Quote
Hello and thanks for the feed back and good information.
Film or digital..Not something I will start to comment on.

I will shoot film in the old camera.

But, if I am NOT able to get a flash.....A slide film that will be better for that use, indoor shooting with no flash...?

Have ordered 4 rolls of Fuji Sensia 400 to test it out.
02-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
... the 285 allows for manual power control, and has swivel. ...
The 285 does NOT have swivel.
02-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
The 285 does NOT have swivel.
I stand corrected
For some reason, I thought it did.
02-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all for the reply and help.
I need it. Film is ordered, so now I am ready.
02-17-2013, 01:05 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I stand corrected
For some reason, I thought it did.
Sorry if I came off a bit harsh.
02-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Vegard,
Unfortunately, not everyone can understand the reasons for your use of slide film with your Spotmatic as you indicated in another thread - hence the attempt to move you from your original position. We all provide opinions based on our own results and some may not know how to get the results they want from the combination you are using and therefore advice against it.
Obviously there is no reason you cannot use your Spotmatic with slide film - either with environmental lighting or flash photography given they used to do this back when the fastest film to be had were a fraction of today's. And flash units are even far improved as well. Obviously, well made slides can provide some glorious results.

Of course depending on availability in your neck of the woods, I would also suggest Kodak Portra 160, 400 & 800 films.
02-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Sorry if I came off a bit harsh.
No worries, you weren't harsh, just honest