Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21
Spotmatic, slides....Help please.

Hello all.

I am soon be a father, so slides is on my mind.
After looking at slides from the time I was a kid, I like to shoot slides of my kids.

The Spotmatic I have no longer have its flash.
To get a flash, what is recommended?
To shoot flash indoors, what slide film is recommended?

Maybe I can get away without the flash....maybe...But, to be on the safe side I like to get one.

02-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian
titrisol's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the most populated state... state of denial
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,094
Fuji Sensia 400 is a wonderful film and I think it will work for you

HOWEVER take a roll or two before shooting your kid to make yoursel f comfortable with it
02-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
davidreilly3207's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Jersey
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 566
Why not shoot digital, edit and choose the ones you like and have them converted to slides. Average cost of conversion is 1.49 us from a quick sampling of internet vendors.
02-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,129
QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Why not shoot digital, edit and choose the ones you like and have them converted to slides. Average cost of conversion is 1.49 us from a quick sampling of internet vendors.
There is no way a digital image to a slide will be as good as a true positive and seems like a pointless waste.

Phil.

02-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,309
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
There is no way a digital image to a slide will be as good as a true positive and seems like a pointless waste.

Phil.
Funny, my uncle spent years converting PowerPoint presentations into slides for Kodak...

If you're going to shoot slides you had better stock up on film now....it isn't something that is going to be around much longer.

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-14-2013 at 06:38 PM.
02-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,816
QuoteOriginally posted by vegard_dino Quote
Hello all.

I am soon be a father, so slides is on my mind.
After looking at slides from the time I was a kid, I like to shoot slides of my kids.

The Spotmatic I have no longer have its flash.
To get a flash, what is recommended?
To shoot flash indoors, what slide film is recommended?

Maybe I can get away without the flash....maybe...But, to be on the safe side I like to get one.
If you're shooting indoor with flash, you can easily get away with 100 or 200 speed film. I'm not sure about cost and availability where you are, but I really like Fuji Provia 100F, and Ektachrome E100G.
I've used Sensia and got good result as well.

For a flash, I would look for a Vivitar 285 or 283. The 283 is either auto, or full power manual and has tilt but no swivel, the 285 allows for manual power control, and has swivel.


Or, if you want to buy new, the Yongnuo YN460 is suppost to be pretty good and allows for manual power control, but no Auto mode.
02-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,788
Availability of slide film is one thing. Availability of processing and mounting, at a price you'd be willing to pay, is yet another. And then there is the projector issue. I'm sure they're still out there but.... I do have to agree that a properly exposed and processed slide is a marvel. I too pretty much grew up with slides of family events and I understand the pull of nostalgia.

Best wishes to you in your impending fatherhood! Do take many, many pictures, whether slides or not. Truly, you can't go home again....
02-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
davidreilly3207's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Jersey
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 566
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
There is no way a digital image to a slide will be as good as a true positive and seems like a pointless waste.

Phil.
What do you base this opinion on? The positive film used for conversion is the same as you would shoot on and the resolutions of today's digital cameras equal or exceed the resolution of any reasonably fast film.

02-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,129
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Funny, my uncle spent years converting PowerPoint presentations into slides for Kodak...

If you're going to shoot slides you had better stock up on film now....it isn't something that is going to be around much longer.
For Kodak yes, but I don’t see Velvia going anywhere soon. There are still lots of us who prefer shooting slides for our critical colour work.

Phil.
02-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,129
QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
What do you base this opinion on? The positive film used for conversion is the same as you would shoot on and the resolutions of today's digital cameras equal or exceed the resolution of any reasonably fast film.
I’m not talking about if film is better than digital. I’m talking about whether a slide is better taken with a film camera compared to the same image taken with a digital camera and then transferred to slide film.

Anytime you take a digital image and transfer it to analog you will loose detail, just like you loose detail when you transfer an analog image to digital. You will not get the colours correct and the lighting will be different.

If you ever have shot positive film and viewed the slide on a light table with a lupe, you will now what I mean.

Phil.
02-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #11
Site Supporter
davidreilly3207's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Jersey
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 566
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I’m not talking about if film is better than digital. I’m talking about whether a slide is better taken with a film camera compared to the same image taken with a digital camera and then transferred to slide film.

Anytime you take a digital image and transfer it to analog you will loose detail, just like you loose detail when you transfer an analog image to digital. You will not get the colours correct and the lighting will be different.

If you ever have shot positive film and viewed the slide on a light table with a lupe, you will now what I mean.

Phil.
Again, you state that you will lose detail. What do you base that opinion on? This site, Digital Slides , explains the process they go through to produce a slide. Nowhere in the process is anything that will reduce the detail.
02-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21
Original Poster
Hello and thanks for the feed back and good information.
Film or digital..Not something I will start to comment on.

I will shoot film in the old camera.

But, if I am NOT able to get a flash.....A slide film that will be better for that use, indoor shooting with no flash...?

Have ordered 4 rolls of Fuji Sensia 400 to test it out.
02-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,129
You can shoot colour film indoors with no flash but you have to watch the lighting. Daylight film is designed for the colour temperature of daylight. The colour temperature of daylight is different than the colour temperature of indoor incandescent lighting. You can get an orange tint when you shoot colour film indoors, there are filters to compensate but you need to know what type of incandescent lighting you have.

I would try and use the available natural indoor sunlight if possible .

Phil
02-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,233
Translation to all of the above...

If you want trouble free and easy photos of your new child, digital is probably the most appropriate solution. I would even go so far as to suggest a P&S over an SLR. Way back in the day when my daughter was born, we bought a little Minolta AF P&S for baby pictures. It was so much easier than using the SLR.


Steve
02-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,129
QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Again, you state that you will lose detail. What do you base that opinion on? This site, Digital Slides , explains the process they go through to produce a slide. Nowhere in the process is anything that will reduce the detail.
Film is the “sensor” for a film camera and will see the image differently than a digital sensor in a camera. Each film has its own different characteristics and the image produced from one type of film to the next can be very different, even when shooting the exact same scene using the same camera & lens.

Example b&w film captures black and white better than digital. The same is true with slide film; the colours produced in some slide film will look different than with digital. Then you’re going to take this digital image (which has already been altered in PP) and have a device using cutoff filters determining the colours transferred to an unnamed slide film. This “digital” slide will not look the same as a slide taken with a film camera. A film image is unique you can’t fake it using a digital image as the source. This is the reason why the forum member in this section still shoot film.

Also the cost of this process is also high compared to shooting slide film the natural may.
$3.00 for one individual image! You can buy a 36 exp roll of slide film and have it processed & mounted for under $20.00, that’s around .55 cents per image.

Phil.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
flash, slides, spotmatic
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spotmatic F help needed Hilo Pentax Film SLR Discussion 9 08-23-2012 04:20 AM
Broken lens, please please help. upanddown Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 02-13-2012 11:26 AM
Help wanted on processing slides Annie99 Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 10 09-26-2011 10:49 AM
Oh man, please please please help.... deckroid Photographic Technique 8 07-01-2011 09:08 AM
Need your help with scanning of slides Rense Pentax Medium Format 7 05-21-2011 11:16 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top