Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, the filter ring was glued to the name ring (not sure of the terminology, but the top 2 rings were glued together), then as a unit, they were glued on to the part that is exposed in my second set of photographs. (I tried removing just the filter ring first, and the whole thing unscrewed off together.) Looks like they glued the top 2 rings down in several spots (corresponding to where the 3 screws are) but there was only one spot left holding it down which is why 3/4 of the entire ring came off when the lens was extended. Someone was very glue happy....

I actually just screwed everything back on after cleaning off a little of the glue and it seems stable for now. (The notches in the filter ring were fine, and the screws on the piece below "catch" the notches so it is staying on, I think.) It would be better to try and tighten the screws but since the name ring is attached, I can't get to the top of the screws.

Thanks again for all the advice. This is really out of my experience level, sorry if my terminology and descriptions make no sense! I am maybe the least mechanically inclined person that I know....

02-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #17

If it is hot glue, rubbing alcohol should soften it to the point where you can pick it off with a toothpick. If it is super glue, acetone will do the trick. I would only apply these to get the trim ring with the name on it off - after removing the filter ring from the rest of the camera. Alcohol or acetone may not be the best things to get into the lubrication or coatings.
02-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Alcohol is no problem, acetone is a completely different story. Be careful, because it also dissolves the black paint.