Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lens worth fixing?

Hi,
My 50mm 1.4 that I got a few years ago at a garage sale is coming apart at the top. The lens is fine, it's just the top part of the metal ring, I think. It looks like it was glued together and the glue is gone. Here are some bad pictures (sorry) but hopefully you can see what is going on.

Is it worth sending it out to be fixed, or should I get new (used) one? It looks like I can get a new-to-me one for maybe $100 or so. It has always been a great lens and I love it, even though I have the 55/1.8. I have no idea how much it would be to get it fixed or where I should take it. (I have read about Eric's repair service on here, so I assume he does lenses too?)

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Images

02-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, I was working right now on my two 50mm Takumars and I can tell you for sure that the filter ring should be attached to the main body via 3 small screws. You can access them by removing the name ring, which should simply unscrew with a proper friction (rubber) tool. Here is a cool tutorial to disassemble the lens, you only need to follow the first 2 steps.
It is totally worth it to repair it, because lately even messed up copies of the lens fetch very high prices on auction sites like ebay.

Last edited by Tom S.; 02-16-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: cleaning up language
02-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The part that's coming off is supposed to be held on by three screws, no glue. It looks like one or two of the screws are still in the lens. So the question is, why glue it? The person who glued it might have tried to fit a part from another lens like the 55/1.8, which isn't the same. They might have hacked up something else. That would be the only reason not to repair it.

If there isn't a part problem, you might be able to fix it yourself. See if you can unscrew the "name" ring, the beveled ring engraved with the lens name and serial number. It should unscrew using the filter threads, and you can get a better hold on it now than usual because of the filter ring falling off. You should be able to see if any other screws are still holding on the filter ring. It looks like your lens uses slotted screws so an eyeglass repair kit might have a screwdriver and even some replacement screws too.

Here's a photo of that lens with the filter ring removed. The little tabs each have a screw hole in them for one slotted screw.

02-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you, it doesn't look like it will be that hard to unscrew the top to further investigate. I was worried about damaging the lens but it sounds like just the metal top is coming off and the inside is still sealed, etc....

(The focus ring seems fine...)

02-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kc.virginia Quote
Thank you, it doesn't look like it will be that hard to unscrew the top to further investigate. I was worried about damaging the lens but it sounds like just the metal top is coming off and the inside is still sealed, etc....

(The focus ring seems fine...)
Be aware that the screw heads are not Phillips. They are JIS and require a JIS driver if you want to avoid damage to the head.

Steve
02-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's one in the first shot that looks slotted. When glue is involved, who knows what the other screws are, though. I have seen both kinds in this vintage. Boriscleto had a great theory about these screws, which I think is slotted screws for US imports, everyone else got JIS.
02-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
slotted screws for US imports, everyone else got JIS
That may be. Another theory is that JIS became a standard for Japanese cameras during the 60s. Older cameras and lenses use slotted screws. My SV and Spotmatic both have slotted screws while my Spotmatic II has JIS.

Steve

02-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #8

Minolta used slotted screws for internal and external construction for both lenses and camera bodies up until 1969 when they adopted ISO standards. Prior to that they were using Japan Industry Standards. At least in the case of Minolta cross-head screws came with ISO. The present day Japanese Standards Association and JIS Committee were established right after World War II.

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-17-2013 at 10:14 AM.
02-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you, everyone, for all of the advice. I finally got the name ring off and there is some damage to the base below (that the screws protrude from, which hold the name ring in place). It looks like that's why someone glued it down.

Is it still worth sending off to get fixed? I don't have any parts or anything to try to replace it....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-3  Photo 
02-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Is it worth fixing? Looks like somebody got there before you. The screws in the photo are placed adjacent to the original holes. Your lens (or at least some parts of your lens) took heavy damage at some point and the repair is less than elegant. It might be cheaper to seek a replacement or invest in some glue.

Steve
02-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The part that's coming off is supposed to be held on by three screws, no glue. It looks like one or two of the screws are still in the lens. So the question is, why glue it? The person who glued it might have tried to fit a part from another lens like the 55/1.8, which isn't the same. They might have hacked up something else. That would be the only reason not to repair it.
This is beginning to look like the case. The original filter ring tube probably got torn off somehow. Maybe somebody didn't know how to disassemble the lens properly and used pliers or vice grips to take it off.

Do the holes on the filter ring tube line up with any of two sets of holes?
02-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
This is beginning to look like the case. The original filter ring tube probably got torn off somehow. Maybe somebody didn't know how to disassemble the lens properly and used pliers or vice grips to take it off.

Do the holes on the filter ring tube line up with any of two sets of holes?
Yes, all the holes line up but I'm guessing after it got dropped or something (?) the person just glued everything back together.

Considering just going with more glue, a la Steve's idea. I'll probably get a replacement at some point but it works fine for now, despite the ring coming halfway off. I just didn't know if it would be cheaper to get it repaired or buy a new (used) one. There seems to be a wide variation in price....
02-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kc.virginia Quote
There seems to be a wide variation in price...
...and I can guarantee a wide variation in quality as well...

Steve
02-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh well. I think I paid $20 for a bag containing this lens, a 35mm f3.5 in perfect shape (seems hardly ever used), a 135 3.5 (also seems hardly ever used), a bunch of filters, old manuals, and a teleconverter. I would have actually not paid that much but it was a benefit yard sale for my church so I didn't haggle.
02-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think some of the forum members would have made considerably more for that package, so I'd say that's a great price. Even if you don't manage to repair it, you could still use it filter-ring-less.

Actually, now that I come to think of it, that broken and glued back ear shouldn't affect the filter ring, which, as I said, is kept on by 3 screws. The screw holes for it seem to be intact. Can you also take a picture of the filter ring? Do you still have at least 2 of its screws?