Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
its a good day bad day in film land

I woke up this morning, knowing I had to work today, but usually find that on the way home the lighting is perfect for photos, so I decided to take some film bodies with me. I brought with me my newly acquired 645 with 75mm f2.8, MX with the 77mm FA limited, and my ME with the M 28 f2.8 and winder grip loaded up.

I then spent the day dreaming at my desk and decided to look for an LX. Found one on B&H and ordered her up. $175 with a condition of 7, and a return policy and warranty just in case theres an issue. It's almost too good a price to pass up, but I got a backup plan for one locally in case it does fall through ($450).

Now the ME mirror is locked up and the advancement arm is kind of flimsy. there are no batteries in it, and I've heard that maybe reloading the batteries would help bring life back. So first stop was London Drugs to grab some batteries. Alas this didnt' fix my issue. The MX light meter was also not lighting up, so I grabbed some batteries for it too... *sigh* still no light meter.

I also forgot to grab a roll of film for the 645. So no shooting with that either.

So went to the store to grab film for the 645... only Fuji Velvia 100 in stock. which I 'm not a fan of, I much prefer Portra 160. I know another shop that has some in stock so I decided to stop there later. I did of course head to the used area, nope, nothing of value. But I did ask if anything was hiding in the cupboards. Shop keep throws a largish bag on the counter and goes "its yours, no charge". I have a good relationship with said shop keep, so I know he wouldn't throw me crap... I peeked inside: PZ-20 (with body cap, hot shoe cap, and manual, all mint), AF 330FTZ flash (with case and manual...also mint), a set of Optex macro filters, Cokin creative filter set, hoya center spot filter, hoya circular polorizer, Izumar V cross.... all in mint condition. Just had to find a battery... and some bloody film!

Eventually I found some Portra 160. Loaded it up, but now its too dark outside... can't wait to see what I can do tomorrow though!

This means my film camera stable now consists of:

Spotmatic (light meter not operational)
MX (light meter not operational)
ME (no mirror or winder operation)
K1000 (working wonderfuly)
MZ-6 (working wonderfuly)
PZ-20 (mint condition)
645 (near mint condition)

and soon an LX

if only I could get the ME working. I've never even thrown a roll through it. It was my dads, and he was going to put it out for a garage sale, but I saved it from there... now I want to get life back into it!

For the MX and Spotmatic I'll just have to use a separate light meter until I can figure out whats going on there.

02-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I just had my ME super in for repairs - turns out there is a little clip that breaks off the film advance mechanism that gets jammed in the mirror assembly. I got gaskets, mirror bumper, a cleaning and the repair of this little "detent" for $80. If the lever to advance film does not click out from its "stowed" position its a good chance you are suffering from a similar problem - it is apparently quite common.
02-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Here is a photo of the broken "detent" - I've set a piece of 35mm film beside it for size reference.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
02-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm going to send my ME off, I really want to use it and experience it as theres so much love for the camera on these forums. I'll probably send the MX out to see if the light meter can be repaired as well.

in other news, my LX showed up today!

its been well loved, in fact its probably the worst condition camera I own.The metal plates are scratched and burnished all to heck, the viewfinder casing has nuermous small dents, even the leather is starting to lift in places on the front. BUT everything works, and works fantastically. The light meter is lighting up, the hot shoe works, the timer works, DOF preview is good, mirror lock up is fine, and... no sticky shutter! It's an earlier model with 1/2000 sec max shutter speed, and from the looks of the things the previous owner(s) used the living crap out of it.

I grabbed it for what I think now was a steal @ $200 landed in Canada from B&H. Especially considering what Adorama has for an LX right now for that price before shipping. I'm quite impressed and can't wait to burn through some rolls of Koda Extar and Portra this weekend. I hope we get some colorful skies... gloomy winter weather is getting boring.

02-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I saw that there, after blowing a few bucks on CLA for the ME Super, and K1000, I've opted to avoid CBA - Looking forward to what you produce.
02-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I'll probably send the MX out to see if the light meter can be repaired as well.
Whats the problem with the MX meter?

P.S. Good luck with the LX...... I'm jealous
02-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Whats the problem with the MX meter?

P.S. Good luck with the LX...... I'm jealous
The meter doesn't turn on. No illumination from the leds. Tried new batteries and nothing.

The LX is amazing. Seriously....best camera I've ever handled. I really wish Pentax would come out with something similar in terms of the exchangable viewfinder and focusing screens. Especially if the finders were on par with the FA-1.

I also much prefer the way the meter works on these old cameras instead of how they work on the new digital. I even like them vertical on the side.

Brilliant camera. Just brilliant
02-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
Forum Member

Nice Lx. They are addictive. I love holding it in my hands it just oozes quality.

02-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had an MX "quit" metering on me so i bought another. On a hunch, I tried the battery holder from my newly acquired working MX on the suspected bad one and the meter worked fine again. Tried the old battery holder on the new MX and it's meter now doesn't work. Solution, clean the battery holder and both are now good to go again!

No doubt any excuse to have a chomre and black model . . .

Another vote for the LX as the finest aperture priority capable SLR of all time.
03-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
So sad, my K-1000 metering is stop working and as newbie i only could depend on My iPod Pocket Meter or My Digital PS.
03-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
The LX is amazing. Seriously....best camera I've ever handled
I just knew you were gonna say that.

I still have a couple left and I still love 'em, but they really don't get the usage these days, but I can't just part with them.