Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Getting Started

Well I've just won an auction for a k1000 and will have a film camera for the first time in years I wanted a k5 IIs but couldn't afford it and hell I always wanted a manual film camera and now I can actually afford one.

I plan on taking it to the local pro camera shot to have a tech check it out and service it if necessary. I realize this camera may be 35 years old so some of those light seals may need replacing and it may need lubrication.

I will have the following lenses to start with

*Vivitar 70-150mm F/3.8

*SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7

I also have an old fashioned looking Gossen Luna Pro-F that I can use for incident metering or other metering should I be unhappy with the on camera meter.

I'm looking into developing black and white at home (someone always did this for me in my photo classes back in high school). I have a friend who sounds eager to show me the ropes on this plus there seem to be some nice howtos Developing Black and White Film at Home

So my plan of buying some lenses and getting to play before I can afford a digital back sounds like it's moving right along. Any comments suggestions, help encouragement welcome.

This is now almost 20 years after I took photography in secondary school and begged my family to buy me a manual only SLR (they bought me a point and shoot). Finally I'm getting a pentax, same brand I learned from. As far as I know it could be the same model.

Best,

-Q

02-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! The camera and lenses are cool, but it is the Luna Pro F that I am excited about. What a great tool! Great EV range (-8 to 24!!) and supports flash metering too. In case you haven't found it yet, the meter's manual (basically a short course in light metering and exposure) is available on the Butkus site:

gossen Luna-Pro F instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

I have minor meter envy!!

Steve
02-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #3

Hi qleak,
looks like you're off to a good start with a K1000 and a couple of nice lenses. That Gossen will also be a big help too. If you're starting out home developing try to start with B& W film that does not use C41 chemistry. Standard developers like D-76 are easy to use and fairly forgiving of less than optimal conditions, so try that first. Just check with your retailer that the film is for standard development.
Happy Shooting
02-19-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Hello & welcome ... I learned with a K1000 in high school ... have fun and post an image or two later on ... J

02-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow! The camera and lenses are cool, but it is the Luna Pro F that I am excited about. What a great tool! Great EV range (-8 to 24!!) and supports flash metering too. In case you haven't found it yet, the meter's manual (basically a short course in light metering and exposure) is available on the Butkus site:

gossen Luna-Pro F instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

I have minor meter envy!!

Steve
Steve,

Thanks for the link to the manual.

A friend of mine who used to own his own studio let me borrow one of his gossen pro f and I must admit I fell in love. Something about turning that needle and having all those aperture and speed combinations just there brings a tear to my eye.

Best,

-Q
02-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
Well I'm a little disappointed. My camera arrived with the vivitar lens.

The camera appears to be working okay, though the light meter sometimes chooses not to work. I'm going to take it in for CLA monday.

The vivitar 70-150 f3.5 has lens fungus. The seller gave me a generous refund but told me not to bother shipping it back. So what to I do with a fungal lens? The fungus is on the inner most lens element closest to the aperture. Looks like 10-15 count 1mm or less diameter growths all over including the center of the lens. What would you do with this lens? Is it worth cleaning? My guess is the fungus has probably been there for a while.

So assuming this lens is junk here is my current kit

* Pentax-m 28mm f2.8 (Looks like the original owner never used it)
* Pentax-a 50mm f1.7 (On it's way)
* Skink Pinhole lens (On its way)
* Extension Tube Set (On its way)

Seems like I'm missing something a little bit longer and I'm also interested in macro photography. So I'm looking at primes around 90-135mm any suggestions, keep in mind I am somewhat on a budget, ($200 for a lens would be too much for me right now).

Best,

-Q
02-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by qleak Quote
So what to I do with a fungal lens?
Take it apart and use the front element for a watch glass (magnifying glass)? Use the barrel for a small flower pot? I currently have a fungus infected Super Tak 55/1.8 in a plastic bag on my kitchen counter. What to do? What to do?

Steve
02-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well the extension tube set with the 50mm will give you a macro lens so it will depend on how much magnification you are looking for. Of course with extension tubes on, the lens will not be able to focus to infinity.

I have the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5 and it is very good so a shorter zoom Vivitar 70-150 f3.5 may be as good or better?

I used my series 1 with the Pentax autobellows and managed to get good results with it.

I have the Pentax M 50mm f4 macro lens and it is a phenomenally sharp lens that will not be outresolved by any DSLR anytime soon. I also have the Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro and it is also a very good perfomer. Its probably safe to say that every prime macro lens ever made is very good performer so it will just be a question of working distance, magnification and price.

02-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter

So what to I do with a fungal lens? ... Q
As Steve wrote, isolate it from your other equipment (lenses), etc.

As a suggestion to replace the Vivitar, get a Pentax M 75-150 f4 ... I have it and it's a great lens, called "the stack of primes" ... J
02-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter

So I'm looking at primes around 90-135mm
Vivitar 135/2.8. The ones with metal build have very good optics and are generally available in excellent condition for less than $50. You want one of the models made in the late 1970s through the 1980s. The serial number indicates both maker* and when the lens was made. By reputation, lenses made by Komine, Kiron (Kino), and Tokina are preferred.

For a full discussion of Vivitar serial numbers, here is the link to Steve Gandy's excellent resource page:

Vivitar Lens Manufactuers

I own a Komine-made example in M42 mount and could not be happier with both build and optical performance.

Steve

*Vivitar lenses were designed in the U.S. and made to spec by various contract makers.