Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ME Super Help. Back stuck.

I can't pop the back open on my ME Super. It had been working fine so I don't know what the deal is. Any ideas on alternative ways to opening the back. I do have a roll in it that is only partially rewound. So I probably will have to do it in a change bag.

02-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Curious as to why you want to open it half way through a roll of film?
02-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
Curious as to why you want to open it half way through a roll of film?
Shot the whole roll but it seized up while halfway through winding it back.
02-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I have experienced is the white rods on the take up spool bends the very end of the film into a hook shape which catches on the pressure plate of the door. You might be suffering similar maybe... I'm now in the habit of counting my rewind cranks to make sure I've wound the roll in.

02-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
What I have experienced is the white rods on the take up spool bends the very end of the film into a hook shape which catches on the pressure plate of the door. You might be suffering similar maybe... I'm now in the habit of counting my rewind cranks to make sure I've wound the roll in.
Interesting, How did you get the back open. When I pull up on the rewind reel it does not pop open.
02-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
That's a good point....I've had that happen to me before. Montman, the rewind problem and the door problem could be related. If the film leader has caught on the pressure plate like Matt has suggested, the tension might be stopping the rewind spool from moving fully. Try winding the rewind lever the wrong way a little to release the tension and attempt to open the door again. Do it in the changing bag as a precaution.
02-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a roll of Fuji 800 in the camera now and it was unusually tight winding on the first 12 shots now it has freed up.
I hope we are not getting canister quality issues.
Montman, Is it jammed because you can't pull the rewind crank up, or are you able to pull the crank up into the spring loaded door opening position?

02-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I have a roll of Fuji 800 in the camera now and it was unusually tight winding on the first 12 shots now it has freed up.
I hope we are not getting canister quality issues.
Montman, Is it jammed because you can't pull the rewind crank up, or are you able to pull the crank up into the spring loaded door opening position?
I can't even pull it up. I took the lens off, put it in bulb mode to take a look inside. All I see is the pressure plate so it looks like the film was rolled up all the way. I just can't get the door open.
02-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You may have possibly popped the rewind button out while rewinding...
02-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You may have possibly popped the rewind button out while rewinding...
I pushed it back in and tried it, then it came, out, I pushed it back in again. Now it seems stuck in.
02-24-2013, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

It might be that the dog clutch on the shaft is jammed in the top of the canister.
The teeth on the canister might have bent tangentially and are now grabbing the clutch and preventing it being pulled out
02-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

hmmmm, the advanced lever isn't half cocked is it?
If it is advance it all the way and push the rewind button again....rinse and repeat until you can freely rewind the film fully.
Had a burr on a Kodak canister that put an awkward angle that led to tension needing the above steps.
02-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
hmmmm, the advanced lever isn't half cocked is it?
If it is advance it all the way and push the rewind button again....rinse and repeat until you can freely rewind the film fully.
Had a burr on a Kodak canister that put an awkward angle that led to tension needing the above steps.
I took a flat head and just added a tad of pressure to the back and it popped open. Now the canister is stuck, because I can't lift up the release.
02-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Push the release down flush and spin counter-clockwise and then pull up
02-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the help manacho! But... Nothing was working, I broke a screw trying to take a plate off, and then... I got a little forceful and killed it Sad day.... Good news is it looks like I was able to save my wifes roll from her trip.