Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #1

LX NiCd Battery Pack

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I won this on ebay for my LX body!
Inside my LX NiCd Battery pack there are 12 dead batteries 1.2V 1/3AF size 16x16.5 mm
It look like Sanyo N-225ae. Same size have GP45AFH.
Did anybody know, where can I buy IT?

Please, don't let die Pentax fan!

02-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Forum Member

I have gone through this, and bought a set of NiMH and replaced them myself. There was a site on the net that walked you throught how to replace them. Also I would recommend batteries plus, because the problem I had is I didn't have a way to weld the batteries to each other. I soldered them, but not the same. My pack did end up working fine. I will see if I can find the web page for you, it said which batteries to buy and show pics of everything. Also I never changed the charger, just charge it for longer and after 3 years it still works fine.

Last edited by 48548; 02-25-2013 at 02:39 PM.
02-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
An example of a source of "1/3AF" size http://www.batteryout.com/products/4428383 ; 1/3AF-210WT $2.18 at Battery Giant
02-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Forum Member

I can not find the link where the guy rebuilt his with the nimh. I might have a print out but he explained his logic and had pics. Like I said I have no way to weld e packs together with out heat which can ruin the batteries. Batteries plus had a way to weld them together and they don't charge for the labor only the cells. They did a great job and even shrink wrapped them into the separate cells like the factory did.

02-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
They cannot ship outside USA.
I'll try to find some friends, who can buy it and send it to me.
In any case - thnx for link!
02-26-2013, 01:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 48548 Quote
I can not find the link where the guy rebuilt his with the nimh. I might have a print out but he explained his logic and had pics. Like I said I have no way to weld e packs together with out heat which can ruin the batteries. Batteries plus had a way to weld them together and they don't charge for the labor only the cells. They did a great job and even shrink wrapped them into the separate cells like the factory did.
I have a technology to combine new batteries into battery pack - this is not a trouble.
02-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by 48548 Quote
The guy you are thinking of is Rob Studdert. The link from his site (Digital Image Studio, Photography) to the battery pack rebuild no longer works but you could try emailing him - distudio@gmail.com - and see if he still has the files somewhere. I have a copy of the information but would not pass it on without Rob's permission. I think Rob is still active on the PDML.

02-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the second reference to PDML I've read today!! There must be some kind of harmonic convergence happening here.
02-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
The guy you are thinking of is Rob Studdert. The link from his site (Digital Image Studio, Photography) to the battery pack rebuild no longer works but you could try emailing him - distudio@gmail.com - and see if he still has the files somewhere. I have a copy of the information but would not pass it on without Rob's permission. I think Rob is still active on the PDML.
That is correct. I found my print outs... In the future I just want another battery grip m to get away from having to rebuild my stuff again. But I did use the nimh he recommended and it did work.
02-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Hi Paul et al,

My old site is a bit stale but I just put the LX BP page back up:

Digital Image Studio, Pentax Ni-Cd Battery Pack LX refurbishment

Cheers,

Rob
02-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
Forum Member

Thank you Rob for that info I greatly appreciate it.
03-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #12

Original Poster
All around the World said me: It is unreal to find new. The best case you can find batteries, manufactured 2004.....
So, I find a radical solution of my trouble: two 8.4 V battery CR-9V size. To correct voltage I use a STI L7815CV voltage regulator.

But the first version of modification have one feature - it can be used only 48 hours after charged
I connect voltage regulator before the power on-off switch. That is wrong because my charge leaks out through voltage regulator.
In the new version voltage regulator will work only when my LX NiCd Battery Pack switched on.
05-20-2021, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know this thread is old but I thought I would refresh it anyway since it has been a while. I changed my LX battery pack NiCd to Nickel-Metal-Hydride per Rob Studdert's instructions earlier in this thread and the procedure is still valid. The nice thing is that the cell voltages for NiCd and NiMH are the same so that the charger still works with the new chemistry. Found cells by googling "3X1/3AA NiMH battery pack with tabs". Mine came from a company called batteriesinaflash.com although I am sure there are other sources as well, At the end Iof the day had a working mortor drive again.
05-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
I know this thread is old but I thought I would refresh it anyway since it has been a while. I changed my LX battery pack NiCd to Nickel-Metal-Hydride per Rob Studdert's instructions earlier in this thread and the procedure is still valid. The nice thing is that the cell voltages for NiCd and NiMH are the same so that the charger still works with the new chemistry. Found cells by googling "3X1/3AA NiMH battery pack with tabs". Mine came from a company called batteriesinaflash.com although I am sure there are other sources as well, At the end Iof the day had a working mortor drive again.
I saw some Exell AA sized 3.6v 300mah NiMH tabbed on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/273651844205

$36 for 4 and free shipping. They would work with LX battery pack but not with M...as the M has 2 2/3 AA and 2 4/3 AA. But I think those sizes are available too.
06-11-2021, 01:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This image might be handy.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo