Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

MX and others: Mirror sticking up

Hi all. This is my first post.

I have read several threads here and elsewhere, with a variety of explanation on why mirrors are sticking up. I considered every possibility put forward in the posts, but when I starting disassembling the camera I found that none of the theories put forward applied in my case.

I found that it is my curtain that is sticking. With the bottom of the camera off I can see that one lever is not returning to its pre shutter tripping position. If I push that lever into place the mirror drops and the curtain frame finishes moving into its intended hidden position.. After that when I move the lever by hand I find it is not the lever or governor that is the hangup because the gears of the governor move freely.

Just thought this info might help others in the way this forum has helped me in the past.

My next step is to tear into the camera further to see the entire curtain. I bought the MX I am working on cheap so if I screw up, oh well. I am finding working on cameras to be a very enjoyable little hobby and one that is very cheap when you consider how cheaply you can by the old film Pentax'es,

03-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't waste an MX, they are classics well worth a professional fix.
03-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with Arnold. The issue may be a small piece that commonly breaks, falls further into the guts, then jams. It cost me $80 to do light seals and address the minor repairs

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-film-slr-discussion/16...d-imgp1419.jpg

Last edited by mattt; 03-01-2013 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Photo added
03-01-2013, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
re: MX

I know this is a good model, but these classics are a dime a dozen on ebay so they can't be a great model (I paid $20): If it was an LX (selling broken for $150+), I wouldn't mess with it. My objective is to learn how to work on them, more than taking pictures with it although I would do that too. I just got a beautiful ES II with and fixed the lihjt meter because it's former owner was convinced he couldn't do it. I just don't see the point in paying $80 to fix a $50 camera. The other point is Eric did work on his first, second and third camera once. If the people around him assumed he'd fail, he wouldn't be fixing your cameras today.

03-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Kevin, ME Super arrived here
The shutter is closed and the mirror is stuck fully up.
The leds power up.
Where do I start?
Thanks!
03-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sticky mirror foam is the most common cause of this problem in film SLRs. That is why I generally caution to check the mirror bumper first when taking delivery of a new old camera.

Steve
03-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

On the ME Super I can move the mirror slightly and see a gap to the foam. The mirror is being held up mechanically

03-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinh Quote
If the people around him assumed he'd fail, he wouldn't be fixing your cameras today.
Eric is not self-taught. He is Pentax-trained and worked at their repair facility for 17 years (since 1979) and has a deep knowledge of the cameras that most of us are working with. Now, if you want to use a broken MX that your paid $20 for (appropriate price for an MX parts camera) as a means to learn a little about how cameras of that type work, please go for it and have a good time. If, on the other hand, you want to have your MX in working condition for a reasonable fee, Eric might be your best bet. Either way, I hope your have fun with your camera.

Steve

(...would personally tinker with a larger camera with similar workings...say a Spotmatic. The MX has some complicated innards. No sense turning a $75 repair into a $150 repair.)
03-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Please heed the good advice above and learn repair trades on something less worthy! The MX is a classic. Have a look at Pentax Manual Focus Camera Bodies - KEH.com and you'll have some idea of its desireability. Find an old ME; they, while worthy cameras, can be got quite cheaply.

Eric just quoted me $70 a piece for working on my two MXs which have meter problems. Do understand that this was an email guesstimate, and he would have to see the camera for a firmer estimate. If you visit his site you'll see that that would include, I believe, a full CLA. My understanding is that Eric's work is the best. Thus for $90 you could have a fully functioning classic.
03-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinh Quote
I know this is a good model, but these classics are a dime a dozen on ebay so they can't be a great model (I paid $20): If it was an LX (selling broken for $150+), I wouldn't mess with it.
If you had received a K-5 for free, would you tinker with it?