Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #1

Exposure counter mechanism on Pentax MX

Hello,

can anyone here help me with the exposure counter on the Pentax MX?
On my newly bought model it was stuck totally. I could fix one problem (of two), which was the long black spring that turns the counter back to zero when the door is opened. This is fixed.

But there's another spring, a super-thin silver spring, very near to the rear of the camera, just near the counter. It was loose and I could only figure out two points of attachment, while I don't know where to bend and fix it's end.
While it is unattached, the counter starts to count when the winding arm is tensioned, but at one point the spring would help to push a little arm so the counter gear would block. WHich doesn't work without the spring so the counter just goes back to where it was before.

SOrry for the poor description, I'll try to upload a photo tomorrow, but I thought that if somebody already tinkered around with the counter mechanism, they would possibly know what spring I'm talking about

I'm really keen on getting that MX back to working. Unfortunately it got a bump in the post. I could already fix the meter (it was only a switch) and the mirror which was locked when using slower speeds.

I'd be really glad to hear if someone knows that exposure counter mechanism.

Cheers,
Dominique

03-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dominique Quote
But there's another spring, a super-thin silver spring, very near to the rear of the camera, just near the counter. It was loose and I could only figure out two points of attachment, while I don't know where to bend and fix it's end.
While it is unattached, the counter starts to count when the winding arm is tensioned, but at one point the spring would help to push a little arm so the counter gear would block. WHich doesn't work without the spring so the counter just goes back to where it was before.
Sounds like...

...right?
03-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much, MysteryOnion!
I'm a bit tired now, but I'll just reopen my MX instantly. Yours looks a tiny bit different.
I can't see exactly where the long end of the silver spring goes, it seems it goes somewhere below, possibly I'll figure it out when I'll have reopened the camera, looking at your picture.

PS. Oh, I'm definitely too tired, I just scratched the screw in the center of the speed dial. I'll continue tomorrow and report then.

Last edited by dominique; 03-02-2013 at 12:15 PM.
03-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by dominique Quote
...long end of the silver spring goes...
The yellow arrow?

03-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, I mean the spring at the yellow arrow

I too took a picture now. Telling from your picture, it seems, the crooked end of the spring sticks to A, winds around B, but I'm not sure where on your photo the other end goes. Is point C a hole whre it goes into?

But well, A, B and C are on the same piece of metal... A and C are fixed on that piece, so the spring woulnd't make sense if one end wouldn't attach somewhere else.
That metal piece seems to having to be pushed backwards by the spring and I can't still find where it has to go (ok, I know how it attaches to A and B).
Ok, I'll very probably have to unmount the disc with the numbers and will see the solution below....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by dominique; 03-04-2013 at 02:16 AM.
03-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
Now I took the number disc off and mounted the spring at A and B.
I find it hard to figure out where the loose end goes.
My spring is also deformed and that doesn't help to imagine where it attaches to

PS. AT first I thought C was a hole, but it isn't.
So in your pic the spring end in question seems to go to some mystical point below the number disc.
Maybe it simply pushes against the number disc's cogs? (they're located on the underside)
But then I'd better form the spring in a way it would smoothly glide on the cogs. Hmmm

PS2. Now in the photo I saw that someone tinkered around at the camera before and used a too small screwdriver
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
+  Photo 

Last edited by dominique; 03-04-2013 at 02:27 AM.
03-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Giveaway winner!

I'll try to get a better image... both of my MX bodies have film in. I'll unwind one and pop it open.

Results soon.

I recall the loose end is suppose to tuck onto the big plate.

Note the dot and the hoop I painted.

Also, the hoop is also marked where the end should stick out when installed.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 03-06-2013 at 07:08 PM.
03-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you again, MysteryOnion!
I'll see if I can re-form the spring as you say.
When I initially looked at it I thought there was too few space beneath the part with the spring and the lower plate. When I'll have a bit of time and calmness, I'll try. And in case of success, I'll take a photo of it.
08-07-2023, 09:14 AM   #9

Hello,

I have the same issue right now. The little spring went off into the orbit...and landed somewhere on my carpet.
For a replacement one needs thin spring steel wire. The solution: Wire from a wire brush :-)

Cheers, Arno