Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2014, 01:30 AM   #1561
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm a sucker for Black paint.
For my recent birthday I treated myself (Rampant GAS and LBA) and I got suckered in for 2 pristine black bodies, a Spotmatic II and a SV to add to my collection
of black pentax bodies, but I think my wife trumped me with her present to me and its not black! What do you think?
Glenn

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-16-2014, 06:13 AM   #1562
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. I think a black SV is the prettiest camera ever made.
2. I believe that particular K was once mine.
04-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #1563
Veteran Member

1. I think a black SV is the prettiest camera ever made. 2. I believe that particular K was once mine
SV's aren't just pretty cameras, in use they have an unquantifiable amazing feeling, a sort of magic, that's why I now own 4 of them.
If that K was once yours it most certainly is mine now along with its Zebra Takumar and its going no-where.
Glenn
04-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #1564
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
SV's aren't just pretty cameras, in use they have an unquantifiable amazing feeling, a sort of magic,
I have to agree. I don't shoot much with mine, but when I do, I am reminded of just how nice the SV is.

Steve

04-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #1565
Pentaxian

SV's aren't just pretty cameras, in use they have an unquantifiable amazing feeling, a sort of magic, that's why I now own 4 of them.
If that K was once yours it most certainly is mine now along with its Zebra Takumar and its going no-where.
Glenn
Well you say it's unquantifiable, but since I never handled one, can you tell what is magic about them that the Spotmatics don't have?
04-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #1566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have rampant GAS too but it doesn't have anything to do with cameras. I bought an SV as my first SLR in 1965. I wish I'd known it was available in black. That is a really cool looking camera body. Nice collection.
04-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #1567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SV's aren't just pretty cameras, in use they have an unquantifiable amazing feeling, a sort of magic . . . .
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have to agree. I don't shoot much with mine, but when I do, I am reminded of just how nice the SV is.

Steve
I had the Sightseeing Screwmount for a couple weeks several years ago - I think Steve also had it - and the experience was so lush and transformative that I had to have one for myself. Beauty is deeper than merelly sitting on the shelf - it is in the experience. I've just gotten a 35/50/105 Super Takumar kit to go in the bag.

I got the K and Zebra from a PF member as part of my 'try, buy, sell' quest. I sold it to a member in Australia last year and though I haven't looked through my old serial number records (on the lens) I'll bet that's the one.

There are only a few cameras I own that aren't at all times casually For Sale. The SV is one of them. My black KX'es (both focusing screens) and LX. I suppose the K-01 and the original Q. Maybe the XA. For a long time I thought the K2DMD was one but I don't miss it.

K series lenses are entirely another form of compulsive hoarding.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-16-2014 at 09:17 AM.
04-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #1568
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Well you say it's unquantifiable, but since I never handled one, can you tell what is magic about them that the Spotmatics don't have?
The shutter, the mechanics and the assembly are sublime. There is no internal meter. The shape and balance are perfectly fitted to the hand.

But those are mere words. You have to experience it to know it. G and T is correct - it is unquantifiable, the stuff of poetry. A Spotmatic, by comparison, is utilitarian.
04-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #1569
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Most noticably SV's are physically smaller than a Spottie and seem to be better balanced because of it ,the winder and film transport in SVs are so smooth Spotties feel a little agricultural
in comparision and the shutter is much quieter and smoother.
Glenn

---------- Post added 17th Apr 2014 at 01:05 AM ----------

I got the K and Zebra from a PF member as part of my 'try, buy, sell' quest. I sold it to a member in Australia last year and though I haven't looked through my old serial number records (on the lens) I'll bet that's the one
I asked my wife where she found the K and Zebra and she told me it came from Ireland. I don't think its the same K you owned.
Glenn
04-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #1570
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I asked my wife where she found the K and Zebra and she told me it came from Ireland. I don't think its the same K you owned.
Glenn
Bummer. I like '6° of Separation' stories.

Try to find a 46mm lens cap TAKUMAR. The PENTAX cap is worth $25USD - the TAKUMAR is worth $40USD. Or bag it and just use the camera.
04-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #1571
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think Steve also had it - and the experience was so lush and transformative that I had to have one for myself
Monochrome is right. I had the Sightseer for two tours and during my second time I was up at Timberline Lodge (Mt. Hood) shooting some exterior shots of the lodge with the ST 28/3.5 and I saw two snowboarders approaching off to one side. I turned and managed to get off four frames before they finished their pass. I was impressed and said to myself, "I gotta get me one of these SVs". See The Pics

A Spotmatic, by comparison, is utilitarian.
Sorry to say, but true.

Steve
04-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #1572
Veteran Member

Try to find a 46mm lens cap TAKUMAR. The PENTAX cap is worth $25USD - the TAKUMAR is worth $40USD. Or bag it and just use the camera.
Something like these ones. The Takumar was bought at a local camera market for $2.50 the Pentax came on the K.
Glenn
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-16-2014, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #1573
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Better pic of custom Yashica-D.

Better pic of custom Yashica-D. Copper, red accents, black walnut covers. That is real wood.

04-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #1574
Pentaxian

A "29 year old time capsule" ... low buck p0rn fun (x-post)

A nice "Helios kit" for 20.50€ delivered to my door ... like brand new, but had to buy 2 new SLR batteries. A fully working Zenit 12XP with case and manual, a nice Helios 58/2 (44M), a Helios 135/2.8 ("Made in Japan" & with minor fungus that I will clean out later) with caps, a very nice Helios 28/2.8 ("Made in Japan") with caps, a working Helios 38 Auto tilt-head flash (cleaned up corroded contacts) with manual, full certificates of origin for all the gear, plus original sales invoice along with dedicated carrying case and the silica bags!!! Kit purchased in March of 1985 for 1,495 French Francs.

04-17-2014, 02:40 AM   #1575
Pentaxian

Canon A1 with MA motordrive in fats mode
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48340958/Video%27s/Canon%20A1-motordriveMA-fastburst.mp4