Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #1591

Photos: Albums
35 Electro MC I picked up at a thrift store for 10 bucs today. It took about two hours to replace the light seals and clean out the battery compartment. There was so much black goo I think I'm going to see it in my dreams tonight, but a rolls going through tomorrow weather permitting.

04-24-2014, 04:34 AM   #1592
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Toothpicks and lighter fluid, my friend, toothpicks and lighter fluid.

Did you redo the seals in foam or in yarn?

QuoteOriginally posted by EJMzagsfan Quote
35 Electro MC I picked up at a thrift store for 10 bucs today. It took about two hours to replace the light seals and clean out the battery compartment. There was so much black goo I think I'm going to see it in my dreams tonight, but a rolls going through tomorrow weather permitting.

04-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #1593
Pentaxian

Lovely!

Is that thing Full Frame? I know Yashica made a few half-frame cameras about that size, I used to have one and probably still do if I dig for it. it's never worked since I got it though
04-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #1594

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Toothpicks and lighter fluid, my friend, toothpicks and lighter fluid.

Did you redo the seals in foam or in yarn?
I used foam. Really people use yarn? I think the foam I have is to thick, everything ends up little to tight.

Unix it's a full frame, I cant see how cameras could be any smaller and still fit the film canister.

04-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #1595
Site Supporter

I used foam. Really people use yarn? I think the foam I have is to thick, everything ends up little to tight.

Unix it's a full frame, I cant see how cameras could be any smaller and still fit the film canister.
Both the Olympus XA and Rollei 35 are smaller, but not by much. And yes, people really do use yarn, though it is hard to manage if the grooves are narrow. My Zorki 4K, made in 1975 in Soviet Russia, has yarn light seals.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-24-2014 at 11:35 AM.
04-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #1596

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Both the Olympus XA and Rollei 35 are smaller, but not by much. And yes, people really do use yarn, though it is hard to manage if the grooves are narrow. My Zorki 4K, made in 1975 in Soviet Russia, has yarn light seals.

Steve
Cool. How do you keep the yarn in place?
04-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #1597
Site Supporter

Cool. How do you keep the yarn in place?
I think they used a spot of glue in places. I have never taken it out.

Steve
04-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #1598
Marketplace Reseller

I use yarn and have had quite a bit of success with it.
The key is to bend a small piece of wire into a hook shape, then use the rounded part to drag a thin layer of adhesive along the groove. You then twist the yarn up extremely tight, lay it in the groove, then use another hooked wire without glue on it to push the yarn down into the groove. Once you come to the end of the groove, snip it of fwith small clippers, then close the door and reopen to make sure it is seated. It's tricky the first couple of times,, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes quite easy.

I like the permanence compared to the foam, plus if you need to remove it, it is a lot easier to take out - simply grab one end with tweezers and pull firmly. I also like to replace the mirror bumpers with strips of adhesive-backed felt.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think they used a spot of glue in places. I have never taken it out.

Steve

04-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #1599
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Thanks monochrome and G and T for the clarification. I was not aware that the SV was smaller but now I see it clearly on the pics. Yes, it's more elegant, although I kind of like the curved lines around the lens mount that the Spotmatic has. I'm afraid that means I have to get my hands on a SV too...
Try to get on the Sightseeing Screwmount list. It is a loaner SV that travels around the world from member to member for a week or two each, If it is still working That's where stevebrot and I 'discovered' the SV.

[EDIT: I checked the thread] PM Pioneer and cc: Blue. They'll get it to you - hasn't moved in quite a while and it just had a CLA..
04-25-2014, 02:56 AM   #1600
Site Supporter

One of my trade acquisitions from Poitiers' swap back at the beginning of the month. Still need to clean it up and got a battery from the "Yashica guy" ... everything works, but need to redo the seals ... Swapped a film Nikon SLR that I had about 10 invested in via thrift store and my minor repairs ... plus he gave 40 in cash to boot. Also here are a few snaps of the swap ... just for fun. J

04-25-2014, 05:49 AM   #1601
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
One of my trade acquisitions from Poitiers' swap back at the beginning of the month. Still need to clean it up and got a battery from the "Yashica guy" ... everything works, but need to redo the seals ... Swapped a film Nikon SLR that I had about 10 invested in via thrift store and my minor repairs ... plus he gave 40 in cash to boot. Also here are a few snaps of the swap ... just for fun. J

I love these camera fair pictures you keep posting!

The Electro 35 GSN is probably my top of the list for fixed-lens RF in 35mm. Mine was my first rangefinder, and I use it even in preference to my Leica depending on the situation.

---------- Post added 04-25-14 at 08:53 AM ----------

Believe it or not, there are smaller out there. The miniscule Olympus XA comes to mind, and it's even a rangefinder! The Minox 35ML is pretty tiny, too, as is the Rollei 35. All of them full frame.

If you want to go to half-frame and deal with special cartridges, there's the unbelieveably small Tessina, a Twin-lens reflex half-frame 35mm camera that is small enough to be worn as a watch.

04-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #1602
Marketplace Reseller

I wonder how Putin feels about his picture being taken...

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote

If you want to go to half-frame and deal with special cartridges, there's the unbelieveably small Tessina, a Twin-lens reflex half-frame 35mm camera that is small enough to be worn as a watch.
04-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #1603
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I wonder how Putin feels about his picture being taken...
He is clearly not thrilled.
04-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #1604
Marketplace Reseller

There's no evidence that he is shirtless, riding a wild animal, or handling large weaponry.

Of course he's upset. He has an image to maintain!

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
He is clearly not thrilled.
04-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #1605
Site Supporter

That said, lets tread lightly so this thread doesn't go political.