Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9444 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #1621
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
These Retinettes are wonderful. Shutters and timers can eventually stick (send to Chris Sherlock in NZ for service), but generally they are easy to use, and the 1A was my first camera. That Schneider lens does a fine job.Here is an example I took in 1962
[/url][/IMG]
Thanks your post/info and nice capture ... In fact, the timer on the 1A is a bit "sticky" (will stop in mid-throw), but maybe it's due to non-use (?) ... the more I play with it, the freer it seems to get ... Salut, J

05-12-2014, 04:49 PM - 2 Likes   #1622
Veteran Member

Kodak Medalist II par Daiku San, on ipernity
05-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #1623
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Love Medalists, both the original and the Medalist II. I own one of these things and they are amazing.
05-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #1624
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think too many here would have even heard of these. One of the few good quality cameras Kodak made; the others were the earlier Retinas / Retinettes. 620 film if I remember.

05-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #1625
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Love Medalists, both the original and the Medalist II. I own one of these things and they are amazing.
Yes, I think it's one of the coolest cameras ever made.

I don't think too many here would have even heard of these. One of the few good quality cameras Kodak made; the others were the earlier Retinas / Retinettes. 620 film if I remember.
Probably one of the best American Kodak made cameras, and possibly the best American made cameras. The Kardon and the Kodak Ektra are definitely more valuable though.
The Medalist is an odd design, but is superbly built. It is a 620 camera, which a con, but it also means it's affordable. I imagine that if it were 120, it would be 5-10 times more valuable.
Blue Moon Camera in Portland sells modified 120 film for under $10 a roll, so as long as I have a 620 take-up spool, I can shoot this thing.
05-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #1626
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blue Moon Camera in Portland sells modified 120 film for under $10 a roll, so as long as I have a 620 take-up spool, I can shoot this thing.
Well that is fortunate having access to film like that. How is the lens, compared to say the medium format folders of the era, many which were Tessar design or triplets?
05-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #1627
Veteran Member

Here's one for a size reference.

---------- Post added 05-13-2014 at 06:04 PM ----------

Well that is fortunate having access to film like that. How is the lens, compared to say the medium format folders of the era, many which were Tessar design or triplets?
The Ektar 100/3.5 is 5 element Heliar type lens. I haven't shot anything with it yet, but it's reputed to one of the best of its type ever made.

05-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #1628
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nesster had (and may still have) a Medalist. There was another user from Vancouver, Canada who shot with one, but he is no longer active here. His camera had been modified to use 120 film. Oh, and I almost bought one several years ago, but it was gone when I went back.

The lens is fabulous.

Steve
05-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #1629
Pentaxian

Here's one for a size reference. ...
Thanks Colton ... I do think that I have ever seen one in the real. Enjoy! J
05-14-2014, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #1630
Pentaxian

Thought I would show two methods of 'Off Camera Flash' I use -- the camera is my 1974 ASAHI PENTAX SPOTMATIC F which has a 'hot shoe' and the flash is the infamous VIVITAR 283 -- my one is the 'Made in Japan' version so it probably has the 'high trigger voltage' which could damage modern 'digital' cameras -- NO WORRIES with 'old PENTAXES !! ' THIS one shows the Vivitar with the 'extension cable. -- the sensor is removable and put onto the hot shoe attachment so it faces the subject and measures the reflected light -- I hold flash to the side and above the camera.

THIS one shows my 'Wireless Trigger; set-up the YONGNUO CTR-301P -- the 'trigger' sits on the Hot Shoe and the 'receiver' is on base of flash so flash can be much further away than the length of the extension cable -- don't forget to set the correct maximum flash synch speed which on this camera is 1/60th second.
05-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #1631
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's one for a size reference.

---------- Post added 05-13-2014 at 06:04 PM ----------

The Ektar 100/3.5 is 5 element Heliar type lens. I haven't shot anything with it yet, but it's reputed to one of the best of its type ever made.
Indeed, i have some info on the lens from an old kodak manual. I have the first Medalist, quite a wonderful camera though I don't use it as often as I'd like due to laziness with the 620 respooling.

Here's an alternate size comparison to show just how petite the Kodak is

---------- Post added 05-14-2014 at 08:51 AM ----------

... meanwhile more prosaic: the last 5 cameras I've had film in.

05-14-2014, 06:34 AM   #1632
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's the crew I currently have film in - from PANF 50 to Portra 400
Name:  FilmsInProcess.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  332.6 KB
05-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #1633
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Indeed, i have some info on the lens from an old kodak manual. I have the first Medalist, quite a wonderful camera though I don't use it as often as I'd like due to laziness with the 620 respooling.

Here's an alternate size comparison to show just how petite the Kodak is
[COLOR="Silver"]

I think yours was the first Medalist I ever saw
I've recently read many of your various posting about the cameras, including the 1978 Jason Schneider review.
They sure are interesting cameras.
05-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #1634
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here is my latest addition: (as advertised by seller)

After I got it, the shutter was a mess, someone had gotten inside and mangled two of the aperture leaves.
Fortunately the Agfa Billy Record II is waiting for a bellows replacement, and I have already done a CLA on the Compur-Rapid shutter, so shutter swap, and voila:

It came with a crappy POS Rollex 120 holder, and no ground glass back, I found some film pack adapters and the best looking one got converted to a ground glass back. I used a piece of anti-glare Lexan for picture frames.

The guy sold it thinking it was a VAG model, which is the low grade model. This however is the AVUS, the mid grade model.
6.5x9 cm

The Rollex back has the red window, which leaks light all over the film.

05-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #1635
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
The Rollex back has the red window, which leaks light all over the film.
Congrats, good job there! This particular era of cameras is especially wondeful to me. Use a bit of electrical tape over the ruby window, bend over the end so you have a grip to pull it back when advancing the film. Not too sticky, and works great.