Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #1621
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,017
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Very neat.
What about adding a little micro robotic gearmotor?
Thanks. I'll only be tracking for 2 minutes max and most the time around 1 minute. A motor would be a lot of work for a tangental mount like that where after 6 degrees of opening it is inaccurate.

04-29-2014, 07:05 AM   #1622
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,853
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Here is some DIY gear. Yo Tuco's home made barn door tracker. Also known as a Haig or Scotch mount. This device will cancel out the diurnal motion of the earth for a short time. Long enough to do some astro-landscapes this summer.

In the northern hemisphere, aim it at the Pole Star to align the hinge with the axis of the Celestial Pole and rotate the dial every 15 seconds. It is specifically made for wide angle lenses and short tracking times. It utilizes that the fact the sin(angle) = angle in radians for angles less than 6 degrees for sub one-second arc of accuracy. It will get you times longer than the 500-Rule. That is, divide 500 by your focal length and that is how many seconds you can take a shot before stars streak in your picture for lenses less than 35mm if you didn't use any tracking.









Beautiful homemade rig!

Is that a Df? How do you like it?
04-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #1623
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,017
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Beautiful homemade rig!

Is that a Df? How do you like it?
Thanks. Yes it is. I really like the camera a lot. I shoot it primarily in aperture priority and manual mode with auto ISO enabled (which is TAv with a Pentax ). I assign auto ISO to a function button and life is easy.
05-03-2014, 05:53 AM   #1624
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,461
Low buck thrift store P000rn ...

Maybe a 7 thrift store "error" ... a Taron auto-EL with case (see "7" marked to top above lens) ... the lens focus ring was stuck; gambled and later I fixed it ... unfortunately the shutter has now decided to go "south" on me (locked up, but will even so slightly twitch when triggered) ... maybe repairable? Oh well, win some,loose some ... but at least got a super cool snake chain! J (x-post)

PS - Has anyone any ideas for my shutter ... looks like a Copal MXV (B to 500, blade arrangement, etc.) ... Thanks in advance!



05-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #1625
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,333
Might be just grease on the shutter leaves - I'd try giving them a good douse with Napha first to see if that doesn't help. Otherwise, you might have a misaligned leaf or a broken spring in there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Maybe a 7 thrift store "error" ... a Taron auto-EL with case (see "7" marked to top above lens) ... the lens focus ring was stuck; gambled and later I fixed it ... unfortunately the shutter has now decided to go "south" on me (locked up, but will even so slightly twitch when triggered) ... maybe repairable? Oh well, win some,loose some ... but at least got a super cool snake chain! J (x-post)

PS - Has anyone any ideas for my shutter ... looks like a Copal MXV (B to 500, blade arrangement, etc.) ... Thanks in advance!
05-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #1626
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,461
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Might be just grease on the shutter leaves - I'd try giving them a good douse with Napha first to see if that doesn't help. Otherwise, you might have a misaligned leaf or a broken spring in there.
Merci dc ... I just decided to "go for it" via a frontal attack and after some spray canister lighter fluid bathes plus many a Q-tip, I got both the shutter and the aperture to function correctly ... Probably just some grease, like you wrote. I can shoot it full manual now; next thing is to clean up (again) the battery compartment and see if I can get the "auto" function back ... Salut, J

05-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #1627
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,333
Congratulations on getting the shutter working!

If the problem with the battery compartment is siimply a matter of corrosion, I have had success removing battery electrolyte leakage with a q-tip soaked in vinegar, followed by a light buffing with ultra-fine steel wool to reveal the bright metal on the contacts.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Merci dc ... I just decided to "go for it" via a frontal attack and after some spray canister lighter fluid bathes plus many a Q-tip, I got both the shutter and the aperture to function correctly ... Probably just some grease, like you wrote. I can shoot it full manual now; next thing is to clean up (again) the battery compartment and see if I can get the "auto" function back ... Salut, J
05-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #1628
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,017
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Merci dc ... I just decided to "go for it" via a frontal attack and after some spray canister lighter fluid bathes plus many a Q-tip, I got both the shutter and the aperture to function correctly ... Probably just some grease, like you wrote. I can shoot it full manual now; next thing is to clean up (again) the battery compartment and see if I can get the "auto" function back ... Salut, J
I had a sticky shutter on my Rolleicord. I also used some lighter fluid on it. I got it working but after a year of no use it started sticking again. I think mine also need some proper lubrication I didn't have. FYI.

05-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #1629
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,461
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I had a sticky shutter on my Rolleicord. I also used some lighter fluid on it. I got it working but after a year of no use it started sticking again. I think mine also need some proper lubrication I didn't have. FYI.
Merci tuco ... What would you suggest and/or have used that's appropriate (?) ... this is "new territory" for me and any advice is greatly appreciated ... Salut, J

---------- Post added 05-04-14 at 22:47 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Congratulations on getting the shutter working!

If the problem with the battery compartment is siimply a matter of corrosion, I have had success removing battery electrolyte leakage with a q-tip soaked in vinegar, followed by a light buffing with ultra-fine steel wool to reveal the bright metal on the contacts.
Merci encore dc ... I have already attacked it via white vinegar and good ol' Q-tips ... the buffing is a good thought, thanks. Cheers, J
05-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #1630
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 262
QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
Here is a picture I took yesterday with this!


Love it.
05-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #1631
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,333
There is a huge PDF (60+mb) available here of the repair manuals for all Rollei TLRs. It should give appropriate lubrication instructions for all the shutter components.

Be careful, though. Rolleis can be a major pain to work on.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I had a sticky shutter on my Rolleicord. I also used some lighter fluid on it. I got it working but after a year of no use it started sticking again. I think mine also need some proper lubrication I didn't have. FYI.
05-12-2014, 02:55 AM   #1632
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,461
Thrift store acquisitions ... in the "junk" camera bin.

A nice, working Retinette IA with a well used case ... plus a very nice, working Retinette IB with excellent case. Not expensive at all ... plus got a Cobra CX150 flash that was with the Retinette IA (not pictured, but working with good batteries!)

Inside the case of the Retinette IA is an "exposure chart" made by the previous owner ... settings for "sunny", "cloudy", "night" & "flash" for "400 Fuji" and "100 Kodak" (plus "Flash") ... plus below a chart for "200 ASA" ... neat stuff! I love my thrift store ...





Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 05-12-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added info ...
05-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #1633
Site Supporter
arnold's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,289
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Thrift store acquisitions ... in the "junk" camera bin.

A nice, working Retinette IA with a well used case ... plus a very nice, working Retinette IB with excellent case. Not expensive at all ... plus got a Cobra CX150 flash that was with the Retinette IA (not pictured, but working with good batteries!)

Inside the case of the Retinette IA is a "exposure chart" made by the previous owner ... settings for "sunny", "cloudy", "night" & "flash" for 400 Fuji and 100 Kodak ... plus below a chart for "200 ASA" ... neat stuff! I love my thrift store ...



These Retinettes are wonderful. Shutters and timers can eventually stick (send to Chris Sherlock in NZ for service), but generally they are easy to use, and the 1A was my first camera. That Schneider lens does a fine job.Here is an example I took in 1962
[IMG][/IMG]
05-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #1634
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,461
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
These Retinettes are wonderful. Shutters and timers can eventually stick (send to Chris Sherlock in NZ for service), but generally they are easy to use, and the 1A was my first camera. That Schneider lens does a fine job.Here is an example I took in 1962
[/url][/IMG]
Thanks your post/info and nice capture ... In fact, the timer on the 1A is a bit "sticky" (will stop in mid-throw), but maybe it's due to non-use (?) ... the more I play with it, the freer it seems to get ... Salut, J
05-12-2014, 04:49 PM - 2 Likes   #1635
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,921

Kodak Medalist II par Daiku San, on ipernity
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645n, af, bronica, camera, chris, ebay, eric, f2.8, fa, film, flickr, lens, mx, nettar, p3, p30t, pentax, photography magazine, post, praktica, retina, shutter, site, store, stuff, swap, test, thrift, tools, winder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "Keeper" Lens Club -- You'll regret it if you sell it. vandamro Lens Clubs 95 04-06-2017 08:28 AM
Is it safe to share my personal collection of K-01 lens p0rn? elpolodiablo Pentax K-01 41 03-01-2013 11:16 AM
If you aren't using it, zip it up! The Jannie Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 09-16-2011 04:35 PM
You've got to love technology and it's mindlessness mtansley General Talk 6 07-24-2011 05:43 PM
Cityscape Got one I'd like to see what you can do with it photolady95 Photo Critique 9 06-25-2011 01:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:24 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top