Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #1666
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Latest "Franken-lens" experiment ... I found Werra mount Jena Cardinar 100/4 in the junk bin of my thrift store (only 2 ) ... tubed it with about 22mm of Chinese K-mount extension tubes and held in by hard felt, for the moment ... still trying to figure out an Ap ring; maybe a dead Werra body, if I can find one ... looks like this; test shoots like this near wide open (second one with about 10mm plus of tube) ... (x-post)

Superb, don't we have a great hobby?

05-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #1667
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Latest "Franken-lens" experiment ... I found Werra mount Jena Cardinar 100/4 in the junk bin of my thrift store (only 2 ) ... tubed it with about 22mm of Chinese K-mount extension tubes and held in by hard felt, for the moment ... still trying to figure out an Ap ring; maybe a dead Werra body, if I can find one ... looks like this; test shoots like this near wide open (second one with about 10mm plus of tube) ... (x-post)

you are incredible John ! You are the equivalent of a Navy Seal in gear : "let's mount it on a DSLR ... by any mean necessary"

And it seem to be a good macro lens !
05-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #1668
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
oooooh, I have been looking for the 6x9 back for some time! I am soo jealous!
I want one to attempt adapting it to my 6.5x9 Voigtlander AVUS!

I always get outbid on ebay, or lack of funds miss on a good buy now option, LOL.
Nice haul!
There's one on right now with 8 hours to go... I do think there's work to do to adapt one of these to the old style rails... The Rollex etc aren't that much worse than the Graflex.

The problem is the above two have thin flanges that mate with the camera's rear rails. And some backs don't fit some cameras, or so I've been told. With a Graflex, you'd have to do some modification or taping...

05-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #1669
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
There's one on right now with 8 hours to go... I do think there's work to do to adapt one of these to the old style rails... The Rollex etc aren't that much worse than the Graflex.

The problem is the above two have thin flanges that mate with the camera's rear rails. And some backs don't fit some cameras, or so I've been told. With a Graflex, you'd have to do some modification or taping...

Is that Patent Etui?

05-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #1670
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by furryurry Quote
Is that Patent Etui?
Yes, it is.
05-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #1671
Pentaxian

NIce! I want one so bad. Have you tried Rada backs on it?
05-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #1672
Site Supporter

Superb, don't we have a great hobby?
Thanks a lot, Nesster ... I am having just too much fun at times and getting very, very lucky at my thrift store. Ah oui, a great hobby ... Salut, J
05-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #1673
Veteran Member

NIce! I want one so bad. Have you tried Rada backs on it?
A very nice camera... mine is a low end model, but even so the lens is excellent. I had to patch a bellows leak on mine. I only have the Suidam and Rollex backs. The Rada does look excellent.

Here's pics of and by the camera
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/sets/72157635213215264

05-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #1674
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
you are incredible John ! You are the equivalent of a Navy Seal in gear : "let's mount it on a DSLR ... by any mean necessary"

And it seem to be a good macro lens !
Mille merci aurele ... I am just crazy enough to try almost anything at times ... and thanks for your compliments. I still have some work to do with this creation, so maybe an "update" post later on ... A+, J
05-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #1675
Pentaxian

Yes, I want one with double bellows (or whatever it's called) and with a rail on the bottom... and either Tessar 105 f/4.5 or a Plaubel 100mm f/3.9. I was looking at Radas but there's not much info on whether it'll fit or not. Some people say it will others - it will not so i don't even know. I was also looking at Plaubel roll backs - they were manufactured by Rada as far as I know, I wonder if they would fit.

P.S. I think I have already seen those pictures in your link when I was doing my RESEARCH on that camera. Thanks for uploading those, helped me and I'm sure many others. You even got one in original KW box - NICE!

Last edited by furryurry; 05-19-2014 at 09:33 AM.
05-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #1676
Veteran Member

Yes, I want one with double bellows (or whatever it's called) and with a rail on the bottom

This is a double extension
05-19-2014, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #1677
Pentaxian

I have a film pack adapter, that I have set aside for experimentation if/when I get a graflex back to play with. Essentially I plan to drill out the rivets that hold the back to the plate, then fit the back to the base of the film pack adapter and use JB Weld to stick it together. If I had a 6x9 graflex back to play with I am certain I could make it work. However I am not willing to spend as much as the listings are asking for one to "play" with. :-)

I have a perfectly good Rollex back right now, and as I have determined that the back works fine, I am even less likely to spend a lot just to get an indexed back. That is all I wanted, was to get rid of the red window, and just advance to the stop, and shoot again. Oh well.

My AVUS came with a bad shutter, the IBSOR was acting funny at slow speeds, and as I have already done a clean and lube on a Copal MXV and a Compur Rapid, the IBSOR was ripe for a rebuild.
When I got it apart, it was running totally dry, and I almost lubed it and put it back together, but then I noticed something funky with the aperture blades, 2 of the leaves were just floating free, so I cracked that open and yep, two of the leaves had the anchor pins missing.

The IBSOR is now in a baggie awaiting some kind soul to buy it on ebay with the gorgeous tessar style glass.

In the mean time, I bought a Kodak Vigilant 616 with a Kodamatic and 126mm with dreams of using the kodak glass and shutter in the Voigtlander, and the bellows in my Billy Record II. Sigh dreams shattered.
The kodamatic is a size #1 or thereabouts, and will not fit in the AVUS.

The bellows is worse than the original on the Billy. I did get it to fit, kinda, but I am looking at building a new bellows from a fritos bag. (yep, an empty bag of Fritos!)

Now I have a Denckel~Munchen on the way with a size #0 old Compur shutter and Cassar glass, good bellows.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371047599082
The glass and shutter will go on the AVUS.
I ALSO have a Franka Rolfix II on the way with a synchro compur, good bellows, and Rodenstock Trinar glass.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331200228797
I may keep the Rolfix II as my main 6x9 folder and set the Billy aside for now. The more I look at the Rolfix, the better I like it.

In any case if the Bellows from the Munchen really is good, and fits the Billy, then I will have the Billy up as well.

I want to use the AVUS as my mexican street shooter with a mobile processing and enlarging/printing box. I will cut 4x5 film to fit the film holders, and print on 5x7 paper, using a flash unit and a cheap lens to enlarge, all preset just load the negative, paper, fire the flash, process the print and voila, how much of a tip can I get??? :-)

My Rollex back:

My AVUS (double extension):

My AVUS with original shutter:

With Compur Rapid from the Billy:

Last edited by 45 Mike; 05-19-2014 at 10:15 PM. Reason: add links
05-20-2014, 03:39 AM   #1678
Pentaxian

Mille merci aurele ... I am just crazy enough to try almost anything at times ... and thanks for your compliments. I still have some work to do with this creation, so maybe an "update" post later on ... A+, J
And this is a good thing ! Keep trying things like that, it gives me some idea for a "summer work" : "franken-lens-ing"

I have something to ask you : When i mount a M42 lens or a franken-lens, the metering of my SLR or DSLR are always completely off by around 3.5 to 4 stops (especially with the Helios 44M). Any idea why ?
I'm using spot metering, Av mostly.
When using M, the metering is "only" off by 1 to 1.5 stops.

Any clues ?
05-20-2014, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #1679
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
And this is a good thing ! Keep trying things like that, it gives me some idea for a "summer work" : "franken-lens-ing"

I have something to ask you : When i mount a M42 lens or a franken-lens, the metering of my SLR or DSLR are always completely off by around 3.5 to 4 stops (especially with the Helios 44M). Any idea why ?
I'm using spot metering, Av mostly.
When using M, the metering is "only" off by 1 to 1.5 stops.

Any clues ?
It's because most M42 lenses don't meet the contacts on the K mount, either because the lens is simply too small or because it's got black paint over the part where the contacts are. You can use tin foil or scrape off the paint to resolve it but I've just adapted to using M mode.
05-20-2014, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #1680
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
It's because most M42 lenses don't meet the contacts on the K mount, either because the lens is simply too small or because it's got black paint over the part where the contacts are. You can use tin foil or scrape off the paint to resolve it but I've just adapted to using M mode.
The behavior depends somewhat on the body and on the lens. All but one of my M-42 lenses have non-conductive bases. This is fine on my K10D since stop-down metering sucks on that camera regardless of lens mounted. Put the same lenses on my friend's K-50 and they only work in Av mode. Now switch to the K-3 and they work fine in Av and M modes. Go figure!

As for the one trouble-maker...that is my MC Jupiter-9 85/2. Its base is nicely painted, but the finish is slightly conductive. There is just enough current to trick the camera into thinking that an "A" contact lens is mounted.

Steve