Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 12:17 AM   #1681
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,461
Here's some interesting collections ...

Objectifs appareils photo anciens en laiton Image & Son Haute-Marne - leboncoin.fr

http://www.leboncoin.fr/collection/660910010.htm?ca=20_s

05-21-2014, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #1682
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 208
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
And this is a good thing ! Keep trying things like that, it gives me some idea for a "summer work" : "franken-lens-ing"

I have something to ask you : When i mount a M42 lens or a franken-lens, the metering of my SLR or DSLR are always completely off by around 3.5 to 4 stops (especially with the Helios 44M). Any idea why ?
I'm using spot metering, Av mostly.
When using M, the metering is "only" off by 1 to 1.5 stops.

Any clues ?
There was much discussion of this in the Takumar Club thread and maybe elsewhere, perhaps 4 or 5 years ago. I forget which terms you would need to Google to find it. Anyway I observe the same behavior with most Takumar lenses on my K20D. Av mode will underexpose by perhaps 2.5 stops when the lens is wide open, gradually reducing to a smaller underexposure (0.5 to 1 stops) when the lens is is at perhaps f/8 or f/11. In M mode, the metering is usually close to correct. (I have done no taping, painting, or other hacks to try to trick the camera's electrical contacts, and am using an original Pentax M42-K adapter.)

--Dave
05-21-2014, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #1683
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,461
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
... I have something to ask you : When i mount a M42 lens or a franken-lens, the metering of my SLR or DSLR are always completely off by around 3.5 to 4 stops (especially with the Helios 44M). Any idea why ?
I'm using spot metering, Av mostly.
When using M, the metering is "only" off by 1 to 1.5 stops.

Any clues ?
Salut,

I do mostly "M" and use an OEM Pentax adapter ... I have not noticed any significant metering differences with the Helios "flat flanged" mount lenses (44M, 44M-4, 46M) as opposed to a 44 or 44-2 type mount. Maybe just lucky or too dumb to see it; so not much help for you, aurele.

A+, J
05-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #1684
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,461
It sold for 1,850.00 ... not bad for a broken lens ...

Taylor Hobson Cooke Telepanchro 152mm F 2 8 T 3 2 BNCR Mount Lens LI Y06 | eBay

05-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #1685
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
It sold for 1,850.00 ... not bad for a broken lens ...

Taylor Hobson Cooke Telepanchro 152mm F 2 8 T 3 2 BNCR Mount Lens LI Y06 | eBay
WOW! I paid $43 for a 4x5 TTH Cooke from the 1890s. But it isn't broken, nor is it a movie lens.
05-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #1686
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,921
My most recent acquisition


05-22-2014, 02:54 AM   #1687
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,926
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
My most recent acquisition
The body or the lens ?

The body is really great. it's my workhorse. You can put in it a splitscreen from an MZ-M or split/microprism from the manual focus era, but it will need to shime small snick on one side to be able to do it.
Take care of the pop up flash, it's a bit prone to break and not be able to "pop" alone.

The lens, well, it's a bit like this in my mind :
05-22-2014, 03:44 AM   #1688
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 208
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
The body or the lens ?

The body is really great. it's my workhorse. You can put in it a splitscreen from an MZ-M or split/microprism from the manual focus era, but it will need to shime small snick on one side to be able to do it.
Take care of the pop up flash, it's a bit prone to break and not be able to "pop" alone.
Concur! This was the first camera I ever bought new for myself (vs. handed down from parents), my first Pentax, and my first autofocus SLR. I really liked it for quite awhile. I still have it, although I now never use it, favoring instead all the more classic heavy metal gear that I've subsequently acquired. I got the ZX-5 for its simple faux-manual controls, which appealed to me over the tiny black plastic buttons of other cameras at the time. These controls are actually electronic, not analog dials, but as long as they work the same way, it's a win.

Mine does indeed have the problem that aurele describes, where the flash, um, needs Viagra. Best way to keep yours intact is don't use the stupid thing; attach a real flash.

--Dave


05-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #1689
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,926
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
It's because most M42 lenses don't meet the contacts on the K mount, either because the lens is simply too small or because it's got black paint over the part where the contacts are. You can use tin foil or scrape off the paint to resolve it but I've just adapted to using M mode.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The behavior depends somewhat on the body and on the lens. All but one of my M-42 lenses have non-conductive bases. This is fine on my K10D since stop-down metering sucks on that camera regardless of lens mounted. Put the same lenses on my friend's K-50 and they only work in Av mode. Now switch to the K-3 and they work fine in Av and M modes. Go figure!

As for the one trouble-maker...that is my MC Jupiter-9 85/2. Its base is nicely painted, but the finish is slightly conductive. There is just enough current to trick the camera into thinking that an "A" contact lens is mounted.


Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
There was much discussion of this in the Takumar Club thread and maybe elsewhere, perhaps 4 or 5 years ago. I forget which terms you would need to Google to find it. Anyway I observe the same behavior with most Takumar lenses on my K20D. Av mode will underexpose by perhaps 2.5 stops when the lens is wide open, gradually reducing to a smaller underexposure (0.5 to 1 stops) when the lens is is at perhaps f/8 or f/11. In M mode, the metering is usually close to correct. (I have done no taping, painting, or other hacks to try to trick the camera's electrical contacts, and am using an original Pentax M42-K adapter.)
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I do mostly "M" and use an OEM Pentax adapter ... I have not noticed any significant metering differences with the Helios "flat flanged" mount lenses (44M, 44M-4, 46M) as opposed to a 44 or 44-2 type mount. Maybe just lucky or too dumb to see it; so not much help for you, aurele.
Honestly i was a bit sceptical about the "contact" idea, but i did give a try with tin-foil ...

Guys, you are some genius ! AH AH the metering is now perfect !!!

Hence, i decided to buy some M42 adapter for cheap on ebay, i'm gonna change the mount of the Helios for a native K

Thank you guys !
05-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #1690
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
The body or the lens ?

The body is really great. it's my workhorse. You can put in it a splitscreen from an MZ-M or split/microprism from the manual focus era, but it will need to shime small snick on one side to be able to do it.
Take care of the pop up flash, it's a bit prone to break and not be able to "pop" alone.

The lens, well, it's a bit like this in my mind :
Just the body
I've had the lens for 3 years now.
05-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #1691
Senior Member
EJMzagsfan's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Idaho
Photos: Albums
Posts: 241
Part of the kit I always have with me.


05-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #1692
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 345

I got this one as a gift from my TV/Media teacher

AND


This one was found at a pawn shop for only $18, so I decided to pick it up. Only "flaw" is a SSN engraved in the back. (I checked, and that owner is no longer living... )

On a side note, has anyone here ever done long exposure shots while pressing the "test" button on your flash to get a shot because your sync method failed?

Last edited by SpartanD63; 05-22-2014 at 10:57 PM. Reason: I REALLY hate trying to repost from Flickr at this point...
05-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #1693
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
This one was found at a pawn shop for only $18, so I decided to pick it up. Only "flaw" is a SSN engraved in the back. (I checked, and that owner is no longer living... )

On a side note, has anyone here ever done long exposure shots while pressing the "test" button on your flash to get a shot because your sync method failed?
Those Vitomatics are bricks, really heavy nuggets... Both of mine developed a stuck transport/shutter; but after sitting in a box for a few years to my surprise one had managed to unstick itself and I ran a roll through it. Great lens!

Open shutter flash - yes, a few times. Most interesting was several years ago with a Franka folding camera, it has no sync at all. My daughter would trip the shutter in bulb and while holding it open trigger a flash with her other hand. Worked fine:

05-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #1694
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,461
QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
I got this one as a gift from my TV/Media teacher ...
Very, very nice ... lucky you & a lens that I'd like to try out. Enjoy it, J

---------- Post added 05-23-14 at 15:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EJMzagsfan Quote
Part of the kit I always have with me.
Very nice as well ... I have the body and an A f1.4 ... someday maybe I will get a f1.2 (sigh) J
05-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #1695
Veteran Member
hks_kansei's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 795
Here's my gear from a few months back.



It all get used, except for the horrid canon things on the sides.
Missing from that shot are my *istDS, which was taking the photo, a Sigma flash, again used in photo.
There's also a WInder MEII and a Zorki-5 missing. The other Zorki is in about 100 pieces while I restore it to working order.

And here's a rough photo of some of the film that's usually in them.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645n, af, bronica, camera, chris, ebay, eric, f2.8, fa, film, flickr, lens, mx, nettar, p3, p30t, pentax, photography magazine, post, praktica, retina, shutter, site, store, stuff, swap, test, thrift, tools, winder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "Keeper" Lens Club -- You'll regret it if you sell it. vandamro Lens Clubs 95 04-06-2017 08:28 AM
Is it safe to share my personal collection of K-01 lens p0rn? elpolodiablo Pentax K-01 41 03-01-2013 11:16 AM
If you aren't using it, zip it up! The Jannie Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 09-16-2011 04:35 PM
You've got to love technology and it's mindlessness mtansley General Talk 6 07-24-2011 05:43 PM
Cityscape Got one I'd like to see what you can do with it photolady95 Photo Critique 9 06-25-2011 01:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top