Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #1771
JBA

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
Speaking about old folders and bellows, I have a Billy II with a bad bellows, I am kinda torn between getting the chinese bellows off ebay for $40, sending it off for $135, or building a bellows myself.
Has anyone here tried the chinese?
Any one built a bellows from scratch?
Any good less expensive shop options?

Any advice or suggestions that I have not considered?

BTW, I have already tried thinned black silicone caulking and liquid shoe polish, neither one is a lasting solution.

Thanks!!
I send my folders to Jurgen Kreckel (certo6) and just say damn the expense & opportunity cost in film. Unless you're very handy tinkering with cameras, entrust it to an expert. That's my advice for what it's worth.

---------- Post added 07-12-14 at 01:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Thanks every-one for the nice comments on some of my screw-mount collection.Yes I do have more!
How about the KKK clan.
Glenn
Stop making me want more cameras!

07-12-2014, 12:42 PM - 2 Likes   #1772
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Dad's Yashica-A in its original leather case.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #1773
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
PS ... I'm probably going to keep the FE2 + 24mm combo ... into the "personal collection" (ha!)
I would too. The FE2 (and FM2, for that matter) is on my list of favorite cameras I have never owned. The Nikkor 24/2.8 just sweetens the deal...very sweet to say the least.

Steve
07-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #1774
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

DSC07951

DSC07914

DSC07927 -- S-M-C Takumar 28mm f/3.5

DSC07958

I went too far in dressing up my takumar lenses on a red body. The M42 to C/Y adapter is now stuck on my Contax body, sometime it loosen up and sometime it get stuck. The M42 adapter to C/Y has similar problem, probably worse, than the M42 to K adapter.

Now my Contax body is turned into a m42 body with a deep scratch from my attempt to remove the stuck adapter. The Takumar in the picture is the Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with 8-element.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 07-13-2014 at 04:09 PM.
07-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #1775

What lens mount?

I got this lens today at a flea market. But I cant figure out what lens mount it is. It seems to be a rather modern lens due to the electrical contacts. Anyone?
Attached Images

07-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #1776
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paddan Quote
I got this lens today at a flea market. But I cant figure out what lens mount it is. It seems to be a rather modern lens due to the electrical contacts. Anyone?
It's a Prakticar B mount ... can be modified via a dremel to PK fit ... see my CZJ Prakticar 50/1.4 ... you will loose "far focus" with any modification due to different registration distances.

Carl Zeiss Jena - Prakticar 1.4/50 MC - Modified to PK fit Lens Reviews - Carl Zeiss Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
07-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #1777
Pentaxian

Only 1mm difference in registration distance? You might be able to make it up by adjusting the placement of the outer focusing ring. Depends on how it's attached inside, though.

It's a Prakticar B mount ... can be modified via a dremel to PK fit ... see my CZJ Prakticar 50/1.4 ... you will loose "far focus" with any modification due to different registration distances.

Carl Zeiss Jena - Prakticar 1.4/50 MC - Modified to PK fit Lens Reviews - Carl Zeiss Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
07-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #1778

Thanks. Prakticar B mount.

07-14-2014, 11:31 PM   #1779
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Only 1mm difference in registration distance? You might be able to make it up by adjusting the placement of the outer focusing ring. Depends on how it's attached inside, though.
Salut dc, (and Paddan)

Yes, dc, I thought about trying to make up for the 1mm, but really have never found the time nor energy for that additional mod.

I have not shot with it in a while and have used it mostly for portrait snaps of my daughters and my various flower snaps ... but now you got me curious ... gonna give it a look now ! J

PS - to Paddan ... the dremel mod is not hard at all (PM me if you want some tips) ... much easier than conversion (read "hack job") of a Yashica ML 50/1.4 ... this is one ugly looking mod, but the results are nice.

Yashica 50mm f1.4 ML - "RioRico" modification to PK mount Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
07-15-2014, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #1780
Pentaxian

If the interior construction is is similar to, e.g., the Takumars or Konicas, where the outer focus ring is free floating and held down by 3-4 screws with washers, it would be only about 5 minutes of work. That's a big "if," though, since the East German lenses I've disassembled vary widely in construction, sometimes confusingly so. It could be worse, though - West German lenses are even worse in my experience and give the lie to the idea of German mechanical engineering superiority. Older Schneiders in particular are a real horror show to work on, with Leicas not far behind.

Either way, it probably will take only removing the front barrel to assess whether such a mod is feasible, and it looks like that is held in by the ring with 2 spanner holes just outside the name ring in the pic you attached. I say go for it!

Salut dc, (and Paddan)

Yes, dc, I thought about trying to make up for the 1mm, but really have never found the time nor energy for that additional mod.

I have not shot with it in a while and have used it mostly for portrait snaps of my daughters and my various flower snaps ... but now you got me curious ... gonna give it a look now ! J

PS - to Paddan ... the dremel mod is not hard at all (PM me if you want some tips) ... much easier than conversion (read "hack job") of a Yashica ML 50/1.4 ... this is one ugly looking mod, but the results are nice.

Yashica 50mm f1.4 ML - "RioRico" modification to PK mount Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
07-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #1781
Site Supporter

If the interior construction is is similar to, e.g., the Takumars or Konicas, where the outer focus ring is free floating and held down by 3-4 screws with washers, it would be only about 5 minutes of work. That's a big "if," though, since the East German lenses I've disassembled vary widely in construction, sometimes confusingly so. It could be worse, though - West German lenses are even worse in my experience and give the lie to the idea of German mechanical engineering superiority. Older Schneiders in particular are a real horror show to work on, with Leicas not far behind.

Either way, it probably will take only removing the front barrel to assess whether such a mod is feasible, and it looks like that is held in by the ring with 2 spanner holes just outside the name ring in the pic you attached. I say go for it!
Thanks dc !!!

I might pull it apart this weekend and give it a look ... thanks a lot for your input and I may contact you later about "re-doing" a pre-set Auto Tak 85/1.8 for me ... but I need to really decide first and build my PayPal stash "back up" ... J
07-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #1782
Pentaxian

Sure thing. Most 50s are pretty self-explanatory, but if you get it opened up and need any advice, feel free to PM me pics, and I can make suggestions.

Thanks dc !!!

I might pull it apart this weekend and give it a look ... thanks a lot for your input and I may contact you later about "re-doing" a pre-set Auto Tak 85/1.8 for me ... but I need to really decide first and build my PayPal stash "back up" ... J
07-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #1783
Pentaxian

The Retina IIIS was manufactured from 1958 to 1961 and it was the first, and arguably the best, rigid-front Retina model Kodak ever produced. The IIIS is built on the same basic body casting as the Reflex S, and so it is slightly longer than the folding Retina IIIC cameras providing more area for the fingers of your right hand to grip the body.

The IIIS used the same 'S' series interchangeable lenses as the Retina Reflex S, III, or IV. It has multiple frames visible in the viewfinder, which are automatically selected by inserting the lens, and the camera has a coupled single range meter.
07-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #1784
Site Supporter

Sure thing. Most 50s are pretty self-explanatory, but if you get it opened up and need any advice, feel free to PM me pics, and I can make suggestions.
Merci encore dc ... I will probably take you up on your kind offer since I have never attempted this before; just to be sure, etc. ! Salut, J
07-16-2014, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #1785
Pentaxian

Incidentally, the Retina lenses perform really well adapted to Pentax Digital with a DKL-PK adapter.

The Schneider Retina-Xenon 50mm f/1.9 is a true gem, stacking up favorably to comparably specced Leica and Zeiss glass, but at a fraction of the cost due to the relative anonymity of the Retina-Deckel mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The Retina IIIS was manufactured from 1958 to 1961 and it was the first, and arguably the best, rigid-front Retina model Kodak ever produced. The IIIS is built on the same basic body casting as the Reflex S, and so it is slightly longer than the folding Retina IIIC cameras providing more area for the fingers of your right hand to grip the body.

The IIIS used the same 'S' series interchangeable lenses as the Retina Reflex S, III, or IV. It has multiple frames visible in the viewfinder, which are automatically selected by inserting the lens, and the camera has a coupled single range meter.