Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2014, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #1801
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a Yashica-Mat, (plain mat, not a 124 or G) and I also have a Yashica-D, I prefer the D model over the Mat for two reasons.
The D allows me to make double exposures, but I have to be responsible in not forgetting to advance between shots when i don't want a double.
Then I just find the operation of the Mat model clumsy in comparison to the D.
When I use the D, I hold the body in my left hand, and do all the focus, winding and exposure adjustments with my right hand.
When I use the Mat, I hold with left, to crank advance, but then must shift body to my right hand to focus, and then back to my left hand to fire shutter.
Perhaps i am just clumsy, or should learn to focus with holding hand.
What do you guys think??

07-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #1802
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I have a Yashica-Mat, (plain mat, not a 124 or G) and I also have a Yashica-D, I prefer the D model over the Mat for two reasons.
The D allows me to make double exposures, but I have to be responsible in not forgetting to advance between shots when i don't want a double.
Then I just find the operation of the Mat model clumsy in comparison to the D.
When I use the D, I hold the body in my left hand, and do all the focus, winding and exposure adjustments with my right hand.
When I use the Mat, I hold with left, to crank advance, but then must shift body to my right hand to focus, and then back to my left hand to fire shutter.
Perhaps i am just clumsy, or should learn to focus with holding hand.
What do you guys think??
You are way luck with the D, I have the same clumsy feeling on the 124G. I am right handed and focusing on the left hand is a bit awkward but I won't complain as I thought all Yashica has the focusing knob on the left before I learn about the different Yashica D from you. The D does not come as often as 124G on ebay the last when I look. My previous link from frugalphotographer prefers just the regular YashicaMat over the 124G.

Big thanks for pointer,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 07-23-2014 at 10:17 AM.
07-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #1803
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the see-saw lever of the Diacord, and the pendulum lever of the Autocord better than twirling a knob to focus... Now that I think of it, yea the 124G can be a chore... but I suppose I end up eliminating that last change of hands - I push the button while holding with the right...
07-23-2014, 06:03 AM   #1804
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My two cents ... I really do not feel uncomfortable with my 124G. Maybe my big hands are less of a handicap here ... just cradle right hand & focus away with the left hand. Plus I am a "slow" photag ... never in a hurry. Thus, no problem ... of course, it would be nice to try the other models out

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 07-23-2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typoo
07-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #1805
Site Supporter

my newest addition to non Pentax collection

This nice looking camera arrived by mail today.

Included film, close-up lens (?), hood and case.

Does anyone have some experience to share?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SGP311  Photo 
07-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #1806

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
You are way luck with the D, I have the same clumsy feeling on the 124G. I am right handed and focusing on the left hand is a bit awkward but I won't complain as I thought all Yashica has the focusing knob on the left before I learn about the different Yashica D from you. The D does not come easily on ebay the last when I look. My previous link from frugalphotographer prefers just the regular YashicaMat over the 124G.

Big thanks for pointer,
Hin
I will also take a D over a Mat anyday. I much prefer the handling and also the character of the Yashikor lens.
The Yashica Mat is a good first MF camera and that's it. Use it, sell it and move on.

Last edited by PedroT; 07-23-2014 at 03:24 PM.
07-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #1807
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PedroT Quote
I will also take a D over a Mat anyday. I much prefer the handling and also the character of the Yashikor lens.
The Yashica Mat is a good first MF camera and that's it. Use it, sell it and move on.
My first Mat was advertised as 'excellent" condition, but it was not.
I decided to try a D that I found cheap, and it was not in good shape either, but I managed to get the shutter apart, fixed, lubed and put back together. I did a custom cover and paint on it.

In the meantime I got myself another Mat model, which works surprisingly well, I think it may have been serviced recently. I sold the first mat, kept the second one and the D is my favorite of the two.

07-23-2014, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #1808
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
This nice looking camera arrived by mail today.

Included film, close-up lens (?), hood and case.

Does anyone have some experience to share?
I had a different version (see attached), which I gave away with an extra 80mm lens. This was before I started collecting cameras. I thought the Contaflex camera was too complicated, both to operate and to maintain. Still, they are well made, and given another chance, I would have kept it.

07-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #1809
Pentaxian

Chinon CE-5 Kit

Full Chinon CE-5 set, comprising body, infrared AF lens, interval control power winder, 30 character alphanumeric Infoback-2 and PRO-1090C flash. It's like holding a small city and feels as heavy as one when it's slung around your neck. So bulky in fact that I had to take it outside and photograph it with the Q10.

Chinon, despite being relatively unknown, produced some remarkable equipment in their time and in my opinion this is the zenith (pun not intended) of late 70s/early 80s accessory automation. Of course, it's a nightmare to use - switch on the camera, position your eye behind the brick-like infoback, press the focus button on the side of the lens, press the shutter release, type your imprint, set the infoback to 'MEMORY', press 'IMPRINT', then wind. Repeat 36 times. But it's a fascinating bit of kit and I love it dearly.

07-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #1810
Pentaxian

Nice! I myself am a big Chinon fan. Quick question: is the image quality on the AF lens the same as on the regular Chinon Multi-Coated 50mm f/1.7? That lens absolutely kills.

Incidentally, Chinon also, IMO produced the zenith of the m42 bodies too in The Memotron CE-3 (AKA the Revueflex AC1). True electronic shutter and full persistent aperture priority with any m42 lens and built like a tank? What's not to like?

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Full Chinon CE-5 set, comprising body, infrared AF lens, interval control power winder, 30 character alphanumeric Infoback-2 and PRO-1090C flash. It's like holding a small city and feels as heavy as one when it's slung around your neck. So bulky in fact that I had to take it outside and photograph it with the Q10.

Chinon, despite being relatively unknown, produced some remarkable equipment in their time and in my opinion this is the zenith (pun not intended) of late 70s/early 80s accessory automation. Of course, it's a nightmare to use - switch on the camera, position your eye behind the brick-like infoback, press the focus button on the side of the lens, press the shutter release, type your imprint, set the infoback to 'MEMORY', press 'IMPRINT', then wind. Repeat 36 times. But it's a fascinating bit of kit and I love it dearly.

07-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #1811
Veteran Member

I can't say that I'm much of a Chinon fan, but that camera setup is so gloriously clunky and hideous that I want one.
07-25-2014, 10:40 PM   #1812

It is an awesome looking camera. I want one too!
07-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #1813
Pentaxian

That is one data back and a half.... and I thought I was doing the masochistic old technology thing using the AF35-70 on a ME-F! Great looking set up. K.
07-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #1814
Pentaxian

Thanks guys! It's nearly complete, the only part I'm missing is the remote control which a friend in Japan is trying to source for me at the moment. This setup has taken around six months so far.

@dcshooter the lens (my copy, at least) is as good as the MF 50/1.7 which is indeed a gem. The only disadvantage to it is that the IR autofocus system can't triangulate anything less than ~0.9m away, so that's the closest focus distance (there's no manual focus override).

As for the databack, you can imprint up to 30 characters, A-Z, 0-9, , . and /
Here's an example:
Attached Images

07-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #1815
Veteran Member

Thanks guys! It's nearly complete, the only part I'm missing is the remote control which a friend in Japan is trying to source for me at the moment. This setup has taken around six months so far.

@dcshooter the lens (my copy, at least) is as good as the MF 50/1.7 which is indeed a gem. The only disadvantage to it is that the IR autofocus system can't triangulate anything less than ~0.9m away, so that's the closest focus distance (there's no manual focus override).

As for the databack, you can imprint up to 30 characters, A-Z, 0-9, , . and /
Here's an example:
Wow. You shouldn't have posted that example. Now I NEED to have one.