Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #1846
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
Brilliant! I paid similar for my ME Super but with a 50/2.0 that is complete sh!te. Some say that lens is rubbish generally; some say it's reasonably good so mine must be a bad example, but either way I want to get a 1.7 and be done with the question.
--Dave
I have an A series 50/2 and it's actually quite good. Maybe a big part of the cost reduction in making the 50/2 lenses was just less quality control.

08-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #1847
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I have an A series 50/2 and it's actually quite good. Maybe a big part of the cost reduction in making the 50/2 lenses was just less quality control.
Sometimes a lens gets a bad review because it may have originally been tampered with. There is nothing wrong with the M50/2.0 in my experience, and would be surprised if someone could consistently pick the difference between it and the 50/1.7 in general photography.
08-10-2014, 03:26 AM   #1848
Pentaxian

I used to have a 50/2 as well and I never had a problem with it, but the 50/1.7 is a solid, reliable lens that won't let you down. Along with the Chinon 50/1.7 it's one of my most-used standard lenses.

Anyway, here's one I forgot - the Ricoh TLS401. This beast is one of few cameras to have two viewfinders - a dial on the side of the prism switches between an eye level and a waist level finder, which is concealed beneath a retractable cover. The waist level finder is small, but I have used it, for example when setting landscapes at the correct height it's pretty useful as it contains the metering information too.

08-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #1849

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
I used to have a 50/2 as well and I never had a problem with it, but the 50/1.7 is a solid, reliable lens that won't let you down. Along with the Chinon 50/1.7 it's one of my most-used standard lenses.

Anyway, here's one I forgot - the Ricoh TLS401. This beast is one of few cameras to have two viewfinders - a dial on the side of the prism switches between an eye level and a waist level finder, which is concealed beneath a retractable cover. The waist level finder is small, but I have used it, for example when setting landscapes at the correct height it's pretty useful as it contains the metering information too.

Interesting. First time I've seen such a beast.

08-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #1850
Marketplace Reseller

I had one of these last year and ended up selling it on eBay. Interesting concept, but the waist-level finder leaves a lot to be desired on the 35mm. The WLVF image was significantly smaller than even a standard 35mm VF. Neat as a curiosity, though.

If I recall, there are also some Praktiflex 35mm SLR models that are waist-level only (i.e. not switchable like this one).

QuoteOriginally posted by cameraniac Quote
Interesting. First time I've seen such a beast.
08-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #1851
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice black Ricoh TLS401 Edmundrt.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I had one of these last year and ended up selling it on eBay. Interesting concept, but the waist-level finder leaves a lot to be desired on the 35mm. The WLVF image was significantly smaller than even a standard 35mm VF. Neat as a curiosity, though.

If I recall, there are also some Praktiflex 35mm SLR models that are waist-level only (i.e. not switchable like this one).
I haven't come across another with the switchable configuration as used in the Ricoh TLS401 so I picked mine up as soon as I saw it.

It is more of a chin level finder which is very good for critical focusing same as you would do when you pop in the magnifiers on the other 35mm WL viewfinders.

---------- Post added 08-10-14 at 03:07 PM ----------

Edmund, If you haven't seen it, here is a brief review of the Ricoh TLS401 published in 1970.

08-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #1852
Pentaxian

I kinda wish I still had this one

08-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #1853
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
I remember this camera from when it debuted. There was a lot of press at the time. I always thought it would be great for closeup work too. I have the Auto Rikenon 50/1.7 the same as is on your camera. It is a decent lens and one of my favorites.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-10-14 at 03:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If you haven't seen it, here is a brief review of the Ricoh TLS401 published in 1970.
Thanks for sharing this. I had forgotten that the TLS 401 also featured both spot and average metering similar to the Mamiya/Sekor 1000 and 500 DTL.

Steve

08-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #1854
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for sharing this. I had forgotten that the TLS 401 also featured both spot and average metering similar to the Mamiya/Sekor 1000 and 500 DTL.

Steve

You are welcome.
Along with acquisitions of these classics, I have also been getting magazines and more recently films taken of the era to get a better understanding.
08-10-2014, 05:08 PM - 2 Likes   #1855
Site Supporter

K01 with SMC Pentax F 50mm f2.8 + custom viewfinder

I found an old Sony viewfinder for less than $10 and adapted it to the K01. Looks good and better still works very well with the 50mm,
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #1856
Marketplace Reseller

You are shooting macro on the K-01? I find it's good for many things, but it's unresponsive shutter/AF and screen configuration make it a poor choice for macro except for static subjects.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I found an old Sony viewfinder for less than $10 and adapted it to the K01. Looks good and better still works very well with the 50mm,
08-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #1857
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
You are shooting macro on the K-01? I find it's good for many things, but it's unresponsive shutter/AF and screen configuration make it a poor choice for macro except for static subjects.
I use it for static objects although I must admit I am unfamiliar with action macro - perhaps bugs? I tend to like photographing wild flowers and bugs, with the latter a little tricky from time to time.

The viewfinder makes the screen bright and easy to see in bright sunny conditions as I use focus peaking and manual focus - so AF is not an issue for me. Works a treat!

Re: unresponsive shutter? Unsure what you mean there. I use an infra red controller to release the shutter -
08-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #1858
Site Supporter

Very cool! That is a respectable addition to the K01!

Steve
08-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #1859

I use it for static objects although I must admit I am unfamiliar with action macro - perhaps bugs? I tend to like photographing wild flowers and bugs, with the latter a little tricky from time to time.

The viewfinder makes the screen bright and easy to see in bright sunny conditions as I use focus peaking and manual focus - so AF is not an issue for me. Works a treat!

Re: unresponsive shutter? Unsure what you mean there. I use an infra red controller to release the shutter -
Where did you find that? I'd love to have something like that for my K-01 that doesn't cost so much.
08-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #1860
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I remember this camera from when it debuted. There was a lot of press at the time. I always thought it would be great for closeup work too. I have the Auto Rikenon 50/1.7 the same as is on your camera. It is a decent lens and one of my favorites.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-10-14 at 03:28 PM ----------

The lens is indeed a nice one, mine has a little fungus but it doesn't affect IQ much. The spot metering (which I forgot to mention) is a useful feature from time to time but the complex metering system embedded in the mirror gives everything a green tinge and makes the finder rather dark.
It appears to be based on a well-used chassis from the 60s/70s, which can also be seen on the Chinonflex TTL, Cosina Hi-Lite and (I think) Nikkormat FT/FTn. I've seen discussion online as to where this body originated, and the consensus seems to be that it was either Cosina or Chinon. If anyone here has a definitive answer I'd be interested to know.

To be honest I don't use the TLS401 that much - it's ridiculously heavy, the finder is dark and the meter on my copy is intermittent - but it is a very interesting camera, and nine times out of ten that's what draws the money out of my wallet. Also, with so many heavy cameras, who needs a gym?

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Nice black Ricoh TLS401 Edmundrt.

I haven't come across another with the switchable configuration as used in the Ricoh TLS401 so I picked mine up as soon as I saw it.

It is more of a chin level finder which is very good for critical focusing same as you would do when you pop in the magnifiers on the other 35mm WL viewfinders.

---------- Post added 08-10-14 at 03:07 PM ----------

Edmund, If you haven't seen it, here is a brief review of the Ricoh TLS401 published in 1970.
As a penny-pinching student I can't afford those expensive Pentax viewfinders so the TLS was as close as I could get

Thanks for the review!

Last edited by edmundrt; 08-11-2014 at 03:09 AM.