Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9446 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #1951
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
No need to be sorry, I'm just nitpicking. It's usually only one digi cam per page. It would be an issue if it was the other way around.

It's a different experience. I will sell my ME Super, but I will keep MX, even if it feels really rough now. For one I don't have 50mm f1.2 for the M3.

I got the summarit for BW moody photos, I hope I get what I want. What's a bad lens? One that doesn't get the photos you want. I want it for pictorialist BW portraits mostly. I want it to be fuzzy and swirly and all crazy. So lets see if I get the results I'm after. I will report back once I develop and dry the film later tonight.
I would suggest that you get a Helios "44" (44-2, 44M-4, 44M-6, etc.) for your MX ... cheap and only need a M42 adapter. I have several extra if you are interested; just PM me.

Here's a 44M capture ... a bit of trademark Helios swirl.

09-17-2014, 04:27 AM   #1952
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I would suggest that you get a Helios "44" (44-2, 44M-4, 44M-6, etc.) for your MX ... cheap and only need a M42 adapter. I have several extra if you are interested; just PM me.

Here's a 44M capture ... a bit of trademark Helios swirl.
The Helios is one of my favourite lens and I prefer it to the Takumar 55mm f2.0 and 1.8, but it can VERY sharp stepped down.

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 04:30 AM ----------

QuoteQuote:
It's a different experience. I will sell my ME Super, but I will keep MX, even if it feels really rough now. For one I don't have 50mm f1.2 for the M3.

I got the summarit for BW moody photos, I hope I get what I want. What's a bad lens? One that doesn't get the photos you want. I want it for pictorialist BW portraits mostly. I want it to be fuzzy and swirly and all crazy. So lets see if I get the results I'm after. I will report back once I develop and dry the film later tonight.

For the razor sharp and contrasty photos, I got the summilux. And the results I got from it so far are great!
A Japanese gentleman makes an evolution of the Zeiss Sonnar 1.5 called "Sonnetar", it's about f1.1 if I recall correctly but it's hard to procure. Perhaps it's what you are looking for, it appears it has a cult following in the rangefinder forum....generally speaking there they say the Soviet Jupiter 3 is a better lens than the Summarit too, unfortunately these Jupiters are getting expensive because of this.
09-17-2014, 05:40 AM   #1953
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
If you can find a Spiratone 20mm 2.8 Plura-Coat,
Please, don't.

it also has some crazy Bokeh effects
There is crazy and there there is....that.
09-17-2014, 05:53 AM   #1954
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm not into owning too much gear. Since I will not use it. If I get something, something else has to go, since it will be unused. I prefer to spend the money on film etc...

Anyway, here's the first batch of photos from the summilux and ektar, I'm still getting used to the camera and rangefinder focusing, but I like the results so far.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/53503-cool-l...ml#post2945314

09-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #1955
Pentaxian

Whatever, dude. There is a place for all kinds of looks in photography, and the fact that this is one of the most valuable and in-demand of the vintage Spiratone lenses attests to that.

I have a Dallmeyer cinema lens for which I've been offered over $1K because it can do this:
That's great ... if anyone is curious, check out all the Soligor 20 captures done by Frédéric Schneider ( fs999 ) ... look here and and previous pages; there's usually one (or more) per posting.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/123731-no-more-tests-just-...ml#post2944148
09-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #1956
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whatever, dude. There is a place for all kinds of looks in photography
we really need a sarcasm emoticon here...
09-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #1957
Veteran Member

That Dallmyer sample reminds me of why I don't drink anymore.

09-17-2014, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #1958
Veteran Member

Just saying, cropping will make a difference in perception... these are all the same frame, first full frame, then a crop, and finally a crop of a crop. Century Graphic 23 with a Xenotar 80/2.8, Tmax 400 in Perceptol 1:3

And since this is a gear p0rn thread, the camera (I may have posted this before);

it's the one in the middle
09-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #1959
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

And since this is a gear p0rn thread, the camera (I may have posted this before);

Finally, enough of these flower photos and more p0rn. I come to this thread for the p0rn you know!

Steve
09-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #1960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, Serious Real historic cameras.
09-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #1961
IHS

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Finally, enough of these flower photos and more p0rn. I come to this thread for the p0rn you know!

Steve
This could hardly be called pRon after Leicas and so on but I thought I might as well throw a shot up of it before I sell it. A Canon A-1 with a 1:1.8 50mm, Tokina 28-70 1:2.8-4.3 and a Soligor auto zoom 35-140 F:3.5 Macro posing with mummy cat. (sorry about the flowers on the screen)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
09-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #1962
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I have seen your Graflex before in some other shots you have posted.
I really like that concept, I would very much like to have something similar in a 6x9 MF with interchange lenses.

I have wondered if there is some corrective lens that could be installed in a body that would allow a 35mm PK lens to cover a 6x9 negative and still get inf focus. I know that there would be light and sharpness loss, but wonder if that would be worth it by having such a wide variety of lens choices. Just thinking.
09-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #1963
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IHS Quote
This could hardly be called pRon after Leicas and so on but I thought I might as well throw a shot up of it before I sell it. A Canon A-1 with a 1:1.8 50mm, Tokina 28-70 1:2.8-4.3 and a Soligor auto zoom 35-140 F:3.5 Macro posing with mummy cat. (sorry about the flowers on the screen)
And a very well posed shot it is, lends Canon a bit of class

---------- Post added 09-18-2014 at 09:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I have wondered if there is some corrective lens that could be installed in a body that would allow a 35mm PK lens to cover a 6x9 negative and still get inf focus. I know that there would be light and sharpness loss, but wonder if that would be worth it by having such a wide variety of lens choices. Just thinking
If it is possible, we'd hope someone had done this to a Pentax 67 already?

One problem with the Graflex is the mirror limits the minimum focal length of the lens used - there isn't room for the mirror to swing up. I suppose a retrofocus design could oversome much of that, but I doubt there's much of a market right now. (The other problem is why didn't anyone think of a pre-set lens? Would make focusing and exposing much quicker and more reliable)
09-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #1964
Veteran Member

Since there's some rangefinder love here there's some Zorki p0rn

Apologies for the lousy digital picture.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 09-18-2014 at 01:12 PM.
09-20-2014, 06:11 AM   #1965
IHS

And a very well posed shot it is, lends Canon a bit of class
Thanks...The pic doesn't do that camera justice. It is a mint example and the lens are all flawless. I picked it up pretty cheap so I can flip it for more pentax goodies. It's rock solid with a great feel to it but has the nastiest sounding shutter I've ever heard. It's just so...cheap sounding. I hate it.