Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #2041
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The F2AS fetches a pretty penny!
Yes and it's difficult to procure, in the previous pages there are more pics of the camera and my small review. I consider myself lucky: I got that one that looks brand new (chromed Nikons aged better than black ones, you can see in both my cameras and the F here as well with a Nikkor Ai 50 mm f1.8 for £260.

For the FM, I assume I was lucky, I got it for £30 INCLUDED the 50mm f1.4 Pre-Ai converted to Ai standard by Nikon itself, now I swapped lenses because the small "Bulldog" looks better with the shorter lens while the bigger f1.4 is more suited for the bigger camera.

However they are both excellent performers, I shouldn't say it here but I prefer the FM to my MX and the F2 is as iconic as the Pentax Spotmatic, the K series, the 80s Canon F-1N and the various Leica M3,4 etc...

10-09-2014, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #2042
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I shouldn't say it here but I prefer the FM to my MX and the F2 is as iconic as the Pentax Spotmatic, the K series, the 80s Canon F-1N and the various Leica M3,4 etc...

The mid 70's was very transitional for Nikon and Pentax - as well as others. Nikkormat FT3 (and EL2) were the last of the line moving to the smaller and lighter weight FM and FE. Pentax introduced the new K-Mount and the M series. The era ushered in more electronics and more compact designs.

10-09-2014, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #2043
Veteran Member

Nikon and Pentax - as well as others. Nikkormat FT3 (and EL2) were the last of the line moving to the smaller and lighter weight FM and FE. Pentax introduced the new K-Mount and the M series. The era ushered in more electronics and more compact designs.
Terrific comparison! Evidently the appearance of the "compact" SLRs like the FM and the MX (even if I consider the Spotmatic the first of the line, SLRs before the Spotty were all big and heavy) caused the near extinction of the rangefinders, not the professional SLRs like the Nikon F,F2, Minolta XK, Canon F1s etc...the FM can handle 70% of what the F2 can but it's more conceivable and you appreciate it when for instance you walk in London for eight hours looking for "casual targets".

Still, in the 80s the "professional" SLRs were still big....my F-1N in "full metal jacket" armour (motordrive, AN finder and 50 mm F1.2) is almost as heavy as a Kalashnikov.
10-09-2014, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #2044
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Terrific comparison! ...
Agreed ... and reminds again me how compact my MX really is. Even the OM-2 seems so big (tall) next to it.

10-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #2045
Pentaxian

Still, in the 80s the "professional" SLRs were still big....my F-1N in "full metal jacket" armour (motordrive, AN finder and 50 mm F1.2) is almost as heavy as a Kalashnikov.
The beginning of the 80's saw the near simultaneous introduction of the three kings - Nikon F3, Pentax LX and the Canon New F-1. The Nikon and Canon releases were expected cycles of their predecessors but Pentax was unexpected. Pentax delivered an interchangeable viewfinder SLR that was much smaller and lighter than its peers without sacrificing build quality and loaded it with features that are still unequaled today!

BTW, is that Kalashnikov a "plasticized" version that made it lighter than a fully loaded F-1 . . .

---------- Post added 10-09-14 at 03:33 PM ----------

you appreciate it when for instance you walk in London for eight hours looking for "casual targets".
Even though the LX is small, I have appreciated the weight of the MX+40mm pancake when walking around with it!

10-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #2046
Veteran Member

As I stated I'm not a great fan of the MX, I prefer the Ks and the FM as "lightweight" cameras, however here there a couple of crappy cell pics of my two kings:

In all their beautiful weights, both with their 50 mm F.12.

Sooner or later I'll get an LX but they're expensive, and the Pentax A 50mm f1.2 costs like the two cameras above put together.
10-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #2047
IHS

I don't think I've posted this one yet...Plane Jane shot, but here it is.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
10-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #2048
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IHS Quote
I don't think I've posted this one yet...Plane Jane shot, but here it is.

The MX was my gateway camera. That huge bright viewfinder opened my eyes to the manual focus world!
10-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #2049
Forum Member

BTW, there are circuit boards that drain the battery quickly but some OM4T's may have been updated with newer boards that didn't consume as much juice. If you put the switch on battery test and it stops beeping in about 30seconds then you have the newer board.

Thanks Les, yes, It stops after 30 seconds or so.

I have a LX that is "hospitalized" with Eric Hendrickson and I have never been able to use it, I bought it and it has the sticky mirror thing, but I like how it feels in my hands a lot!

One of the cameras I like the most, and the one I shoot the most with is the Minolta X-570. it is so well built, perfect weight, awesome metering etc...

I have a black MX which I started using and after 10 shutter clicks, the courtain gots stuck

So, the cameras I use the most / the ones I like the most are: Minolta X-570, olympus OM-2N, Pentax K2, and Nikon F3
10-10-2014, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #2050
Pentaxian

Have you ever been compelled to complete some sets?

I was . . .

Taken on Agfa Ultra 100. I got the K1000SE first, then the KX, KM and finally the K2.

Taken on Agfa Ultra 100. I got these in the order of FM, FM2 then FM3.
10-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #2051
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MX was my gateway camera. That huge bright viewfinder opened my eyes to the manual focus world!
I think the MX is probably the perfect metered manual SLR body. I can think of nothing I'd change about it.
10-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #2052
Veteran Member

nice collection, you miss the k2dmd...when I'm home I'll try to take a nice pic of my five pentax Ks.

I was . . .

Taken on Agfa Ultra 100. I got the K1000SE first, then the KX, KM and finally the K2.

Taken on Agfa Ultra 100. I got these in the order of FM, FM2 then FM3.
10-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #2053
Forum Member

I have always been, but not my pocket hehehe....

I will post a few pictures of the sets I have... I don't have the KM, and I have a FM2N but it received a hit while on transit.
10-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #2054
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I think the MX is probably the perfect metered manual SLR body. I can think of nothing I'd change about it.
I thought this myself for some time, but after using the P3 series, I now find that the small window that lets me see if film is loaded, and what kind is loaded is a feature I want on the MX. Another quality of the P3 series I would really appreciate on the MX is the polycarbonate body, that needs no seals. Lighter weight, strong and the seals never give up.
Other than those two I agree, the MX is a GREAT manual camera. My favorite 35mm, indeed.
10-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #2055
IHS

I was . . .

Yeah, I'm fighting that right now actually. I've got the K1000SE and the K2 but I'm really getting the twitch for a black KX. But then I'd need to go ahead and get the KM also wouldn't I? The K2DMD is getting harder and harder to find, so I don't hold out much there. Hopefully I'll use a little restraint and stay where I am. I need to spend my money on glass and film anyway.

---------- Post added 10-10-14 at 01:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Yep...Simple, small and built like a bank vault door. Love it.