Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #2071
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I mean, seriously..a single string on the left side of the mirror.
There are a number of cameras with string-driven parts. I am not sure, but I believe the shutter display in the MX viewfinder shares the distinction.

Steve

10-13-2014, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #2072
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the second Nikon I own, it is the first SLR Nikon produced. It is in much better condition than my F2 copy. This example cost me $350 without a lens. The second 'F' (F2) was an improvement on this, without the compromises (and advantages) of the F3 to F6 examples. Is it any wonder that the F2 is the most desired film Nikon?
10-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #2073
Forum Member

Lovely, the Nikon F was the camera I lusted for back in the '60s. However, it was way to much for me to afford back then, I had to settle for a Honeywell SpotMatic with the 50mm f1.4. I still have it along with a supply of SpotMatic accessories. A great camera, easy to use and the Mercury battery lasted forever. Best of all, the manual was only 36 pages as opposed to my K-5 with 375 pages! And, Ektachrome 64 was my film of choice.

Jay
10-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #2074
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice one Arnold, doesn't look like it got much use before!

What improvements in the F2 did you find the most beneficial?

10-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #2075
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Nice one Arnold, doesn't look like it got much use before!

What improvements in the F2 did you find the most beneficial?
Let me quote Wikipedia:
"The F2 replaced the Nikon F, adding many new features (a faster 1/2000 second maximum shutter speed, a swing open back for easier film loading, a wider assortment of detachable finders and metering heads, a 250 exposure film back, a larger reflex mirror to ensure no vignetting, and a shutter release nearer the front of the camera for better ergonomics). It also offered a detachable motor drive, something the F only had as a custom modification. It was the last all-mechanical professional-level Nikon SLR."

Something else was the mirror lockup improvement. The F was the first camera to try this, but you had to waste a shot to get the mirror into the up position. With the F2, this was no longer the case. One can make allowances here, as the F came out in 1959 (production ran to 1973)
The F3 depended on batteries for the shutter, and the F4,5 and 6 started to resemble today's DSLRs in looks and battery dependence. Film lever advance was gone by F4. I think the later Fs looked awful with their motor drives attached. To me, the F2 is the ultimate Nikon SLR. The Pentax equivalent is the KX or MX, although they lacked many features such as changeable view finders and a huge assortment of attachments.

---------- Post added 15-10-14 at 08:06 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jake21209 Quote
Lovely, the Nikon F was the camera I lusted for back in the '60s. However, it was way to much for me to afford back then, I had to settle for a Honeywell SpotMatic with the 50mm f1.4. I still have it along with a supply of SpotMatic accessories. A great camera, easy to use and the Mercury battery lasted forever. Best of all, the manual was only 36 pages as opposed to my K-5 with 375 pages! And, Ektachrome 64 was my film of choice.

Jay
It wasn't until 1976 that I could afford an SLR. The Pentax MX had just come out, and since it seemed to do everything I wanted, I did not even investigate the super expensive Nikons. These days they only interest me for their quality of construction and design, not their usefulness. The KX and MX suit me better in that regard as they are less bulky.
Still, I now have some Kodak 400 in the F, which has been serviced, including having the meter adjusted for 1.5 volts. I think the $350 I paid for it was a very fair price given it's near new condition.
10-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #2076
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Let me quote Wikipedia:
"The F2 replaced the Nikon F, adding many new features (a faster 1/2000 second maximum shutter speed, a swing open back for easier film loading, a wider assortment of detachable finders and metering heads, a 250 exposure film back, a larger reflex mirror to ensure no vignetting, and a shutter release nearer the front of the camera for better ergonomics). It also offered a detachable motor drive, something the F only had as a custom modification. It was the last all-mechanical professional-level Nikon SLR."

Something else was the mirror lockup improvement. The F was the first camera to try this, but you had to waste a shot to get the mirror into the up position. With the F2, this was no longer the case. One can make allowances here, as the F came out in 1959 (production ran to 1973)
The F3 depended on batteries for the shutter, and the F4,5 and 6 started to resemble today's DSLRs in looks and battery dependence. Film lever advance was gone by F4. I think the later Fs looked awful with their motor drives attached. To me, the F2 is the ultimate Nikon SLR. The Pentax equivalent is the KX or MX, although they lacked many features such as changeable view finders and a huge assortment of attachments.
Interesting...not the LX, the K2 or K2DMD? For me it's hard to imagine that the MX is the equivalent of my F2, to me it's more like a Canon F-1 or the K2DMD in the Pentax field, and I don't care much about the "electronic shutter", but the F-1N and the K2 can work without batteries for most of the shutter speeds available.
10-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #2077
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting...not the LX, the K2 or K2DMD? For me it's hard to imagine that the MX is the equivalent of my F2, to me it's more like a Canon F-1 or the K2DMD in the Pentax field, and I don't care much about the "electronic shutter", but the F-1N and the K2 can work without batteries for most of the shutter speeds available.
I understand your point, but I was not equating the F2 with the MX, only mentioning that it was Pentax's version of a pure mechanical camera. The F2 was far more versatile. Since the Nikon F2 had no automation, I did not think it appropriate for a direct comparison with automated cameras. (I also have the LX and K2.) There are only three basic settings to make on a SLR. 1) Focus, 2) Aperture, 3) Speed. I find this easy enough, so place little value on the automation of these settings. I love the simplicity of design of pure mechanics and consider electronics an unnecessary complication for possible failure.

10-14-2014, 04:01 PM - 4 Likes   #2078
Veteran Member

I don't think I ever shared this - here's my beauty , very first camera that I got when I was a boy -- funny thing is that we share the same manufacturing date :P . It never failed me and delivered some of the best shots I ever took.

Kiev 4 + Jupiter 2 , which is copy of Zeiss Sonnar. I am fortunate to have all functions of this camera working perfectly and focusing is linked flawlessly to the view and range- finder. A joy to handle , use, ... and smell

Last edited by manntax; 10-14-2014 at 04:08 PM.
10-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #2079
Pentaxian

Although I only have a few RFs and have very limited experience with them, I can see this one looks like a good performer!

---------- Post added 10-14-14 at 09:06 PM ----------

You probably meant the LX instead of the K2 which only has B & 1/125 shutter speeds available when batteries die. Both the LX and F-1N have their sync to upper shutter speeds & B available when batteries die.

Last edited by LesDMess; 10-14-2014 at 06:06 PM.
10-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #2080
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
I don't think I ever shared this - here's my beauty , very first camera that I got when I was a boy -- funny thing is that we share the same manufacturing date :P . It never failed me and delivered some of the best shots I ever took.

Kiev 4 + Jupiter 2 , which is copy of Zeiss Sonnar. I am fortunate to have all functions of this camera working perfectly and focusing is linked flawlessly to the view and range- finder. A joy to handle , use, ... and smell

Good to see an old camera kept so long and in such good condition.

---------- Post added 15-10-14 at 11:57 ----------

You probably meant the LX instead of the K2 which only has B & 1/125 shutter speeds available when batteries die. Both the LX and F-1N have their sync to upper shutter speeds & B available when batteries die.
This is one reason I just cannot list these as my most desirable cameras. For me, among the Pentax family, the MX and KX are the ones I trust as most dependable. The first two F Nikons are very dependable as well. Later versions with fading electronic readouts or other complexity, surplus to anything I would need, just don't have the same appeal to me. Just never was able to love a circuit board as much as clockwork.
10-14-2014, 11:56 PM   #2081
Veteran Member

Although I only have a few RFs and have very limited experience with them, I can see this one looks like a good performer!
I assure you it is - here is one shot taken recently wide open on Delta 100 https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/89...ml#post2969716

All functions (apart from self timer ) are working , even light meter is accurate !

Good to see an old camera kept so long and in such good condition.
Thanks ! yeah, it's 37 years old now and I have it almost 25 years and counting
10-15-2014, 12:38 AM   #2082
Veteran Member

Beautiful, in my Soviet rangefinder collection I miss a Kiev (while I've several Kiev SLRs, the 17 is my favourite being totally mechanical and without lightmeter)...I'd like to find an early Kiev 2 but now they charge as much as for a Jena Contax II....

BTW, is the selenium lightmeter working? My Contax IIIa is in perfect conditions BESIDES the lightmeter.

Thanks ! yeah, it's 37 years old now and I have it almost 25 years and counting
So it's not that old after all! The Kiev 4 remained in production for a very long time.

This is one reason I just cannot list these as my most desirable cameras. For me, among the Pentax family, the MX and KX are the ones I trust as most dependable. The first two F Nikons are very dependable as well. Later versions with fading electronic readouts or other complexity, surplus to anything I would need, just don't have the same appeal to me. Just never was able to love a circuit board as much as clockwork.
Yes I see your point, I also prefer the purely mechanical attitude, even without lightmeter, but on the other side if I have to accept the use of a TTL camera I'm not that bothered by having the slower shutter speeds controlled electronically like on the K2 and the F-1N.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 10-15-2014 at 12:44 AM.
10-15-2014, 12:48 AM   #2083
Veteran Member

So it's not that old after all! The Kiev 4 remained in production for a very long time.
Yes, it remained probably untill 1980 ? - mine is from 77, but it is silver knob version, better built and all chrome parts are metal. It feels absolutely fantastic with shutter very quiet and reliable and winding smooth. Some report these newer kievs as being 'rough' compared to contax, but I was fortunate to get a good copy.

BTW, is the selenium lightmeter working? My Contax IIIa is in perfect conditions BESIDES the lightmeter.
Yeah - the meeter is fully working , accurate and very responsive ( another surprise, as many complaints about them as being innacurate and failing massively) - I am often using it (when I don't have my huge chrome lens hood on :P - as that would interfere with meter. I need to find a lens hood smaller in diameter for that ).
10-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #2084
Veteran Member

Yes, it remained probably untill 1980 ? - mine is from 77, but it is silver knob version, better built and all chrome parts are metal. It feels absolutely fantastic with shutter very quiet and reliable and winding smooth. Some report these newer kievs as being 'rough' compared to contax, but I was fortunate to get a good copy.

Yeah - the meeter is fully working , accurate and very responsive ( another surprise, as many complaints about them as being innacurate and failing massively) - I am often using it (when I don't have my huge chrome lens hood on :P - as that would interfere with meter. I need to find a lens hood smaller in diameter for that ).
At the moment my plan to get an early Kiev 2 has been shelved because I finally got on ebay this rare bird: a BLUE Zarya. They're pretty rare to find, unfortunately this one comes with a recent I-61 and non original case (from a Fed2) but nevertheless it's very BLUE and I wanted it and I got it for 30 quid.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 07-31-2015 at 03:36 PM.
10-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #2085
Veteran Member

At the moment my plan to get an early Kiev 2 has been shelved because I finally got on ebay this rare bird: a BLUE Zarya. They're pretty rare to find, unfortunately this one comes with a recent I-61 and non original case (from a Fed2) but nevertheless it's very BLUE and I wanted it and I got it for 30 quid.
Fantastic looking camera indeed ! I hope its working :P This got me inspired to load my long-forgotten Zorki-1 (typ D from 1955 ) - I got it from my step father years ago and if I recall I never put a roll through it !! But it was given to me as fully working. Seems to be , and I had it serviced with light seals replaced , focusing helicoid lubricated and lens CLA-ed ... I was going to put some film in it but ... well too many cameras too little time
I am excited seeing that mine is having rare Industar 22 lens form 1951 !! with red P and possibility of having glass from original new-old stock of leitz glass ! Need to take a photo of this one too....