Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #2206
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
...Plus, I'm a bokehaolic (see my pics in that thread and my selfportraits in the critique area) and I love shoot bad pictures with stuff out of focus ... .
Who isn't ?!

11-06-2014, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #2207
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Yes, there's not much out there on the original CE Memotron. The original CE has multiple exposure control too, as did all the CE series - one of their strengths against the competition of the time. This page lists the only difference between them as being the flash sync speed. Thankfully the CE has a simple rotary dial to select ASA, unlike the weird pin system on the CE-II. A lot of Chinon's OEM stuff was rebranded in Europe and the US, as the ones you've mentioned as well as Prinzflex in the UK for the earlier models (Chinonflex TTL etc) and Revueflex in Europe for the later ones (CE-4, CE-5). As I've mentioned before, I have a fascination with Chinon stuff and the great products they made as one of the smaller Japanese camera manufacturers, borne out of my affection for my CE-5 which was my first film camera (£8.50 in a charity shop).
The real advantage that the CE, CE-II and CE-3 have is that they can work in Av mode with any M42 lens with an A/M switch, unlike the Pentax ES which needed the specific late model lenses. This makes them very versatile. The lenses that were made for this camera by Tomioka are very good, particularly the 55/1.7 and 55/1.4.
The trade off is the long shutter release throw to stop down and activate the meter, and the weight of that mechanism, but it is a thing of mechanical joy to use and it makes one hell of a click.
This site also states that the sync speed was the only difference - 1/60 to 1/90 with the CE II, but with a question mark. -> Chinon Screw-Mount Cameras

Do you have a pic of the top plate of the CE? Below is from my CE II for comparison.

Interesting how the CE-3 top shutter speed went down to 1/1000.

Also, do you have the CE-4 or higher? Chinon CE-4 camera manual, instruction states that these have a Chinon bayonet lens mount? Intersting that they made their own mount and I wonder if it is compatible with any others?

I don't know how long the CE & CE II were in production as the much smaller CE-3 seems to have been released the same year as the CE II. Probably just like the initial K Series - and those from all the other manufacturers too, the smaller Olympus OM series influenced the change and accelerated the conversion. At least this seems to be what I have gathered from the Modern and Popular Photography magazines of the time.

---------- Post added 11-06-14 at 03:17 PM ----------

Cuthbert,
In good condition, all the Pentax 50mm lenses I have conducted resolution tests with exceed the film/scanning process.

If you want a super sharp lens, then you might want to try the M Macro 50mm F4.
In the test below using the 14.7MP K20D, they all seem to be the similar.

Link to larger -> http://www.fototime.com/AFA3C6EDB6A663D/orig.jpg

Testing using Kodak Techpan processed in Technidol shows that the macro lens was only limited by the sensor of the K20D and the Coolscan as an optical enlargement of the film clearly shows there was quite a bit of extra detail still on film that was not being resolved.

Link to larger -> http://www.fototime.com/A08A371F28ED137/orig.jpg

Kodak Gold 100 using the 50mm Macro below. Of course the small number of blades doesn't form well round OOF highlights.

Link to full size -> http://www.fototime.com/AA49E1A00A2B5A7/orig.jpg
11-06-2014, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #2208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Do you have a pic of the top plate of the CE? Below is from my CE II for comparison.
Here's one - apologies for the terrible light in my tiny student room. As you can see, the only real differences are the film speed selection dial and the positioning of the X on the shutter speed dial - on the CE it's between 60 and 125 but not numbered.

As for the CE-4 and CE-5, they were actually K-mount. I don't know why Chinon referred to it as 'Chinon Bayonet Mount' in the literature, since they'd been so keen to advertise the M42 cameras' universal capability, and this did rather the opposite.
Here's my well-loved CE-5 with its naked mount and the SMC-M 50/1.7 mounted - the reason I like this camera so much is that it packs in all the features of the ME Super but with a grip (which contains a holder for two spare batteries), DoF preview, 3200ISO capability and a rotary shutter speed selector with Auto at the end, like the earlier CEs, which I find much quicker to use than the buttons. Don't get me wrong, I love the ME Super, but the CE-5 is just a very complete camera.

11-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #2209
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Here's one - apologies for the terrible light in my tiny student room. As you can see, the only real differences are the film speed selection dial and the positioning of the X on the shutter speed dial - on the CE it's between 60 and 125 but not numbered.

As for the CE-4 and CE-5, they were actually K-mount. I don't know why Chinon referred to it as 'Chinon Bayonet Mount' in the literature, since they'd been so keen to advertise the M42 cameras' universal capability, and this did rather the opposite.
Here's my well-loved CE-5 with its naked mount and the SMC-M 50/1.7 mounted - the reason I like this camera so much is that it packs in all the features of the ME Super but with a grip (which contains a holder for two spare batteries), DoF preview, 3200ISO capability and a rotary shutter speed selector with Auto at the end, like the earlier CEs, which I find much quicker to use than the buttons. Don't get me wrong, I love the ME Super, but the CE-5 is just a very complete camera.
Thanks for the pictures.
Between 60 and 125 sounds like 1/90? Butkus doesn't have the manual and I haven't found one to confirm.
Thanks for the confirmation about the Chinon mount as that seems odd not to list it as Pentax K-mount!
The manual shows that the CE-4 is similar in size as the ME Super. I have the Ricoh XR7 and I like that it too has the more traditional shutter speed control instead of the buttons. However, it is completely battery dependent having no mechanical speeds available as the ME Super.

You know, we should probably start a database for other K-mount bodies . . .

11-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #2210

Hey my Kiev 4a finally came in the mail today! It's working well so far, Im about halfway through a my first roll. I would like to color in the rest of the black on the name plate if anyone has a suggestion what to use for this.
11-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #2211
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EJMzagsfan Quote
I would like to color in the rest of the black on the name plate if anyone has a suggestion what to use for this.
I use something called a Lacquer-Stik for filling in the lettering. They come in several colors and work very well. Simply rub in and wipe off the excess.

Lacquer-Stik Paintstick, Black

Steve
11-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #2212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I use something called a Lacquer-Stik for filling in the lettering. They come in several colors and work very well. Simply rub in and wipe off the excess.

Lacquer-Stik Paintstick, Black

Steve
I love Micro-Tools ...

11-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #2213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Who isn't ?!
Ok I'll check out the shop, but I noticed that in Euroland you can get an M f1.4 for 70 euros if you're lucky. However that's the camera, I already ordered a B grip, a square hood and an M eyecup (I hope it will fit) so I'll have a pretty decent setup:

BTW, I noticed that the long shutter speeds in auto mode are longer than the "official" value, I mean if I shoot in auto and the led appears at 4 sec, in reality the exposure is about 8 sec, is that normal or there is a problem with the auto exposure?
11-07-2014, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #2214
Pentaxian

BTW, I noticed that the long shutter speeds in auto mode are longer than the "official" value, I mean if I shoot in auto and the led appears at 4 sec, in reality the exposure is about 8 sec, is that normal or there is a problem with the auto exposure?
The reflectance of actual film - when it is loaded, will be different then the pressure plate that is currently seen by the metering cel.

Nice that you have the manual and the brochure too!

BTW, I don't know if you have used another Pentax body that uses the needles in the take up spool such as the M series. When you insert the film leader in between the needles of the take up spool, the manual recommends at least the length of one perforation but I recommend at least 2 perforations.

Last edited by LesDMess; 11-07-2014 at 04:28 PM.
11-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #2215
Veteran Member

The reflectance of actual film - when it is loaded, will be different then the pressure plate that is currently seen by the metering cel.

Nice that you have the manual and the brochure too!

BTW, I don't know if you have used another Pentax body that uses the needles in the take up spool such as the M series. When you insert the film leader in between the needles of the take up spool, the manual recommends at least the length of one perforation but I recommend at least 2 perforations.
Thanks Les, I heard about it but I needed a confirmation, unfortunately the camera suffers of the chronic problem of all the LXs, the infamous sticky mirror, and with a 28 mm f2.8 lens there's a slight misalignment at infinity, but for what I understood they are minor problems that can be resolved also in house without CLA.
11-08-2014, 06:05 AM   #2216
Pentaxian

Thanks Les, I heard about it but I needed a confirmation, unfortunately the camera suffers of the chronic problem of all the LXs, the infamous sticky mirror, and with a 28 mm f2.8 lens there's a slight misalignment at infinity, but for what I understood they are minor problems that can be resolved also in house without CLA.
That is unfortunate as I have 2 LXs bought used - previous condition unknown, and neither exhibit the sticky mirror so I must be lucky. Knock on wood!
I wonder if the misalignment can be addressed by the diopter? Can't say I have encountered that with any of my bodies either. Continuing to knock on wood . . .
11-08-2014, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #2217
Pentaxian

That is unfortunate as I have 2 LXs bought used - previous condition unknown, and neither exhibit the sticky mirror so I must be lucky. Knock on wood!
I wonder if the misalignment can be addressed by the diopter? Can't say I have encountered that with any of my bodies either. Continuing to knock on wood . . .
I am on my second LX that I got "untested" ... both at prices which were hard to say "non" to. So lucky as well that both were AOK ... J

I think that I have already post this here ... (The Green button is a personal joke with a French photo friend)

11-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #2218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I am on my second LX that I got "untested" ... both at prices which were hard to say "non" to. So lucky as well that both were AOK ... J
I think that I have already post this here ... (The Green button is a personal joke with a French photo friend)
Nice, it's the very rare Green buttoned version . . .
11-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #2219
Veteran Member

I just returned from the lab and unfortunately five shots are out of focus, it's a pity because some of them were indeed cool shots, in two cases I might have failed to focus in time (squirrels are hard to shoot especially from very close distance) but in the other case I think the problem is the camera. The strange thing is that at max aperture and minimum distance the shots are sharp, it appears that the problem is mostly at intermediate distances....and how can the dioptre adjustment be involved? That's new to me, I'm a little shortsighted at the right eye and I appreciated the adjustment at the bottom of the prism, I set it up at -1.5 and I can see clearly with both eyes.
11-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #2220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just returned from the lab and unfortunately five shots are out of focus, it's a pity because some of them were indeed cool shots, in two cases I might have failed to focus in time (squirrels are hard to shoot especially from very close distance) but in the other case I think the problem is the camera. The strange thing is that at max aperture and minimum distance the shots are sharp, it appears that the problem is mostly at intermediate distances....and how can the dioptre adjustment be involved? That's new to me, I'm a little shortsighted at the right eye and I appreciated the adjustment at the bottom of the prism, I set it up at -1.5 and I can see clearly with both eyes.
One of the causes of "sticky mirror" on the LX is a softening of the pad that the mirror rests on when down in the focusing position. This happened to mine (bought new when they came out), and as a result I could see the lenses didn't look like they focused to infinity. And when shooting at large and moderate apertures at medium distances pictures would be clearly out of focus.
This condition changes the mirror angle, so that the path of lens-to-focusing-screen is different than the distance from lens to film. The result is that "in focus" in the VF is not the same as "in focus" on the film.
After many years of not using the camera I sent it to Eric for a CLA, and it has been fine since.