Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #2221
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,973
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Ok guys I completed my Pentaxian quest getting the last camera I didn't have:
Can anybody educate me to the Way of the LX? The accessories to have, not to have, do, don't do, problems, etc...? I'm relatively ignorant regarding this camera, while I had some info about the Nikon F2 and the Canon F-1N I don't know how it compares besides the fact it's tiny and perhaps my back will be happier to drag this camera around London...BTW I heard it has been changed through its long production run, is this one supposed to be an early or late model?
Really . . . the last camera . . .

COngratulations as it looks in good shape. It also looks like you have the hard to find sync cover? I also don't have the soft cover and been looking for one in good shape myself.

As you already noticed, the LX saves some weight compared to the Canon New F-1.



Since you are already familiar with the F-1, some differences between the two are:
  1. Both have substantial build quality but the LX was more weatherproof.
  2. The F1 has spot meter option using specific screens while the LX does not.
  3. The F1 has shutter priority when used with the motordrive while the LX does not.
  4. The F1 does not have MLU while the LX does.
  5. The F1 has a viewfinder blind while the LX does not need it.
  6. F1 film speed to 6400 while the LX to 3200.
  7. F1 in aperture priority AE finder limited to 1/1000 while the LX is 1/2000.
  8. X Sync for the F1 is 1/90 while the LX is 1/75.
  9. The LX has TTL OTF flash while the F1 does not.
  10. LX finder is 98%V and 95%H coverage from 0.55X to 1.35X depending on viewfinder - see below.
  11. Both have the same range of shutter speeds available in manual mode when batteries die but the F1 battery has to be physically removed for it to work.
  12. The F1's timer is battery dependent while LX self timer is manual.
  13. The F1's multiexposure is the "universal manual" method with no guarantee of perfect registration while the LX has perfect frame registration going forward or backward.
  14. The F1 - and all Canons past or present, can only aperture priority autoexpose to a maximum of 30 seconds.
  15. The LX metering range is superior to any camera ever made past or present at EV -6.5 to EV 20, and can aperture priority auto expose for as long as it takes to achieve a proper exposure or batteries die.
Selection of LX viewfinders.


If you don't have it already, here is a link to the 1985 booklet of the Pentax LX -> Google Translate

11-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #2222
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
Your collection gets more impressive every post! And yes I bid tis one because it came with the leather case, after the hard experience of my two K2s (I can't the cases) I decided to focus on getting one already "dressed up". For the sync covers, there's a guy on ebay who sells a Pentax kit with body cover, sync covers, battery caps and an eyecup.

I'm disappointed by hearing that I can't change the metering changing screens like the F-1N, where you have three options: spotmetering, center balance (P screen) and all field balanced (A screens) like the 60/40 percentage of Nikon. I don't know what MLU is but I'll do some research, I assume you can have just aperture priority with the LX, not shutter priority at all , but does it change if I use A lenses in comparison to M lenses? I was tempted by getting an A lens especially to change the the look of the camera (ok I'm boring) and I like the pentaprism without hot shoe, but it appears it's hard to procure.

I also noticed there are different grips, one of which made of...wood? That supposedly can be shaped, that's interesting but I don't think I can use it with the half case....I wonder why there are four studs on the front, can teh grip be installed on both sides? And what would be the official eyecup? I like eyecups and I always add one to my cameras.
11-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #2223
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,973
MLU = mirror lock up. Canon had it on the the previous F-1 model but decided to omit it on this model.

The LX doesn't have electrical contacts to take advantage of the A lenses.

The LX has four studs so that you can add the handgrip and still put the neck strap on the other side which will have the camera hang vertically.

Also, are you already aware of this site -> Photography in Malaysia
It has an LX review -> Pentax LX - Index Page / Modern Classic SLRs series
And an F-1 review -> Canon New F-1 SLR camera - Modern Classic SLRs Series

This site made me really get into it . . .

Last edited by LesDMess; 11-03-2014 at 05:49 PM.
11-04-2014, 02:10 AM - 2 Likes   #2224
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,441
Nothing special here. Just a thrift store save and it was nice to have the box and instructions.



11-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #2225
IHS
Senior Member
IHS's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 175
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Ok guys I completed my Pentaxian quest getting the last camera I didn't have:
Congrats!!! Very nice...
11-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #2226
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,973
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Nothing special here. Just a thrift store save and it was nice to have the box and instructions.
It seems that these cameras last but it is the paperwork/boxes that don't so that is a great find!
Is the camera functional?
11-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #2227
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,441
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
It seems that these cameras last but it is the paperwork/boxes that don't so that is a great find!
Is the camera functional?
Les, everything seems OK to me at first glance.

Looks like it spent a lot of time in its box and well stored as well. Shutter fine, blades fine, etc. It seems to work as good as it looks cosmetically.

After a long-ish drought at my thrift store, things are picking up a bit ... J
11-05-2014, 03:05 AM   #2228
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,058
A couple of shots of my SP1000 with SMC 55/2 mounted. Taken with the K200D and SMC Tak 35/2 at f/2.8. Cross-posted to the Takumar thread.


IMGP1003a
by Jonathan_in_Madrid, on Flickr


IMGP1001a
by Jonathan_in_Madrid, on Flickr

11-05-2014, 04:05 AM   #2229
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,441
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A couple of shots of my SP1000 with SMC 55/2 mounted. Taken with the K200D and SMC Tak 35/2 at f/2.8. Cross-posted to the Takumar thread.


IMGP1003a
by Jonathan_in_Madrid, on Flickr


IMGP1001a
by Jonathan_in_Madrid, on Flickr
Nice presentation of nice gear.
11-05-2014, 06:13 AM   #2230
Site Supporter
arnold's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A couple of shots of my SP1000 with SMC 55/2 mounted.
Elegant simplicity.
11-05-2014, 06:43 AM   #2231
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A couple of shots of my SP1000 with SMC 55/2 mounted
My favorite Spotmatic. I had to give my daughter a MX to pry her SP1000 from her hands
11-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #2232
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,441
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
My favorite Spotmatic. I had to give my daughter a MX to pry her SP1000 from her hands
11-05-2014, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #2233
Pentaxian
hoopsontoast's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 825
A nice little FA 50mm f1.7 in lovely condition as an AF alternative to the K55 f1.8.






Last edited by hoopsontoast; 11-05-2014 at 02:47 PM.
11-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #2234
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,848
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Ok guys I completed my Pentaxian quest getting the last camera I didn't have:

Can anybody educate me to the Way of the LX? The accessories to have, not to have, do, don't do, problems, etc...? I'm relatively ignorant regarding this camera, while I had some info about the Nikon F2 and the Canon F-1N I don't know how it compares besides the fact it's tiny and perhaps my back will be happier to drag this camera around London...BTW I heard it has been changed through its long production run, is this one supposed to be an early or late model?
The things you need to know about the LX:

Interchangeable Viewfinders
Interchangeable Screens
Random-access double exposure
Mirror Lockup
AE Autoexposure is off-the-film-plane, during the exposure...they are amazingly accurate, especially in low light.

This is the only camera I own two of on purpose.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Really . . . the last camera . . .

COngratulations as it looks in good shape. It also looks like you have the hard to find sync cover? I also don't have the soft cover and been looking for one in good shape myself.

As you already noticed, the LX saves some weight compared to the Canon New F-1.



Since you are already familiar with the F-1, some differences between the two are:
  1. Both have substantial build quality but the LX was more weatherproof.
  2. The F1 has spot meter option using specific screens while the LX does not.
  3. The F1 has shutter priority when used with the motordrive while the LX does not.
  4. The F1 does not have MLU while the LX does.
  5. The F1 has a viewfinder blind while the LX does not need it.
  6. F1 film speed to 6400 while the LX to 3200.
  7. F1 in aperture priority AE finder limited to 1/1000 while the LX is 1/2000.
  8. X Sync for the F1 is 1/90 while the LX is 1/75.
  9. The LX has TTL OTF flash while the F1 does not.
  10. LX finder is 98%V and 95%H coverage from 0.55X to 1.35X depending on viewfinder - see below.
  11. Both have the same range of shutter speeds available in manual mode when batteries die but the F1 battery has to be physically removed for it to work.
  12. The F1's timer is battery dependent while LX self timer is manual.
  13. The F1's multiexposure is the "universal manual" method with no guarantee of perfect registration while the LX has perfect frame registration going forward or backward.
  14. The F1 - and all Canons past or present, can only aperture priority autoexpose to a maximum of 30 seconds.
  15. The LX metering range is superior to any camera ever made past or present at EV -6.5 to EV 20, and can aperture priority auto expose for as long as it takes to achieve a proper exposure or batteries die.
Selection of LX viewfinders.


If you don't have it already, here is a link to the 1985 booklet of the Pentax LX -> Google Translate
Just Wow.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
MLU = mirror lock up. Canon had it on the the previous F-1 model but decided to omit it on this model.

The LX doesn't have electrical contacts to take advantage of the A lenses.

The LX has four studs so that you can add the handgrip and still put the neck strap on the other side which will have the camera hang vertically.

Also, are you already aware of this site -> Photography in Malaysia
It has an LX review -> Pentax LX - Index Page / Modern Classic SLRs series
And an F-1 review -> Canon New F-1 SLR camera - Modern Classic SLRs Series

This site made me really get into it . . .
The LX has three strap lugs. The "fourth" lug on the lower right-hand side of the camera is a screw-hole for the optional grip.
11-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #2235
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Nagoya
Posts: 550
A couple of new lenses I'm playing with at the moment:

Cosina Cosinon 40/2.5 pancake.
This is an interesting one. A steal at 25 and it handles nicely and has a little extra speed over the Chinon and Pentax equivalents, not that it really matters. Looks good on later K-M mount cameras (ME Super, CE-5 etc) and essentially it's just a nice little curio to have. Light and easy to carry too.



Zeiss Pancolar Auto MC 50/1.8
My first Zeiss lens, so I'm quite excited. Lovely condition and, praise be, the focus isn't gummed up like I've heard they can be. Nice handling (but not quite as nice as a Takumar or the M42 Chinon/Tomiokas), to be honest it's always nice to own a legend. I'll be posting results once I have some (now I have 10 a year darkroom access at university I'm shooting film like there's no tomorrow).



Also, if love lasts a lifetime, bury me with my CE Memotron. You'd probably have to reinforce the coffin though.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645n, af, bronica, camera, chris, ebay, eric, f2.8, fa, film, flickr, lens, mx, nettar, p3, p30t, pentax, photography magazine, post, praktica, retina, shutter, site, store, stuff, swap, test, thrift, tools, winder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "Keeper" Lens Club -- You'll regret it if you sell it. vandamro Lens Clubs 95 04-06-2017 08:28 AM
Is it safe to share my personal collection of K-01 lens p0rn? elpolodiablo Pentax K-01 41 03-01-2013 11:16 AM
If you aren't using it, zip it up! The Jannie Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 09-16-2011 04:35 PM
You've got to love technology and it's mindlessness mtansley General Talk 6 07-24-2011 05:43 PM
Cityscape Got one I'd like to see what you can do with it photolady95 Photo Critique 9 06-25-2011 01:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top