Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #2236

Found a Fujinon 50mm/f1.4 at a thrift shop. Good condition except the blades were a little stick when i first got it. Only works on my Spotty since it can't be switched to manual. Otherwise it's wide open on anything with an adapter. Hope it's as good as the Super-Tak 50/1.4 Also had two Tamron Adaptall with m42 mount adapters at the same thrift shop. Contemplating whether I want to go back for one of them.

11-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #2237
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was under the impression that the Cosinon and Chinon lenses were one and the same. Several of the 3rd party manufacturers are well known to give different specs to the same lens (witness the various specs given for the Kiron-made "Lester Dine" macro and its equivalents), so the supposedly faster speed might unfortunately be illusory.

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Cosina Cosinon 40/2.5 pancake.
This is an interesting one. A steal at 25 and it handles nicely and has a little extra speed over the Chinon and Pentax equivalents, not that it really matters. Looks good on later K-M mount cameras (ME Super, CE-5 etc) and essentially it's just a nice little curio to have. Light and easy to carry too.

---------- Post added 11-05-14 at 09:09 PM ----------

There are various tutorials out there on how to mod the fujinon lenses for stop-down operation if you are interested in using it on digital, etc. Does the Fuji metering lug give you problems with infinity focus on the Spotmatic body? It definitely will if used with an adapter...

QuoteOriginally posted by samtr87 Quote
Found a Fujinon 50mm/f1.4 at a thrift shop. Good condition except the blades were a little stick when i first got it. Only works on my Spotty since it can't be switched to manual. Otherwise it's wide open on anything with an adapter. Hope it's as good as the Super-Tak 50/1.4 Also had two Tamron Adaptall with m42 mount adapters at the same thrift shop. Contemplating whether I want to go back for one of them.
11-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #2238
Site Supporter

A couple of new lenses I'm playing with at the moment:

Cosina Cosinon 40/2.5 pancake. ...
Thanks for your post. I have never come across this "faster" 40. First time I have seen one ... J
11-06-2014, 02:05 AM   #2239
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The things you need to know about the LX:

Interchangeable Viewfinders
Interchangeable Screens
Random-access double exposure
Mirror Lockup
AE Autoexposure is off-the-film-plane, during the exposure...they are amazingly accurate, especially in low light.

This is the only camera I own two of on purpose.

Just Wow.

The LX has three strap lugs. The "fourth" lug on the lower right-hand side of the camera is a screw-hole for the optional grip.
Thank you all guys, I received the camera yesterday, unfortunately the half case is damage and has a tear, but I understand it's very hard to find and I'll try to repair it. The finish is flwaless, very little debrassing around the corner where the straps lugs are, clear viewfinder, everything looks in order, later in the week I'll take some pics because the camera came with the original owner's manual and the brochure you sent me the link.

I like the idea of bringing the camera in a vertical position, I always do that with my Leica M5 (the only other camera with three strap lugs I have) and I already installed the strap this way, the and since I don't like the steel studs I decided to buy a used grip, along with the square plastic hood (to change a little bit, I already have a round one on my Spotmatic F) and with my three Pentax 49 mm filters (cloudy, light yellow and yellow-green) I think they'll be a nice set.

Unfortunately the camera came with the cheap 50 mm f1.7, a disappointment for me because as I understand the camera is supposed to sport a f1.4 as standard lens. Reading the manual and the brochure I found an interesting thing: it appears that what we call today the "K mounted" lenses weren't discontinued and totally replaced my the M-series, just the ones they could "miniaturise", but the manual clearly states that the 50 mm f.13 and the 15 mm f3.5 (the lens that was first available as Tak then as K) were meant to be in the LX "system" while the new M lenses were indicated by an asterisk. The brochure is even more interesting because it's later and reports as standard lenses the new A lenses BUT there are two f1.2 described, the "normal" one and the A, so I assume that lens remained in production and transitioned directly from K to A because they couldn't make it smaller like the f1.4, while the 55 mm f1.8 was replaced by the M 50 f.17 because the magnification of the new M series and LX finders was greater than the K cameras so the 55 m format wasn't necessary anymore.

Talking about the f1.4, I would like to procure one, but I'm undecided between the M and the A, the former is much more common and cheaper, I understand the latter is aesthetically different and have the A position that is meaningless for the LX, but I read some unconfirmed rumours than the A is actually the sharpest 1.4 available. I already have a 50 mm f1.4 "K" so i wonder if it's worth to spend twice more for the A or they are just old wives' tales.

11-06-2014, 03:32 AM   #2240
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I read some unconfirmed rumours than the A is actually the sharpest 1.4 available
Personally I don't think this is true, I had multiple copies of K mount 50s, and out of all of them: the A 50mm f/1.4 it was one of the worst*. My copies of the Pentax K and A series 50mm f/1.2 lenses were significantly sharper across the frame at f/4~f/8 aperture range than a majority of pentax 50mm lenses.

*especially at its widest aperture.
11-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #2241
Site Supporter

Unfortunately the camera came with the cheap 50 mm f1.7, a disappointment for me
This 1.7 is likely to be sharper than the 1.4. It is a fine lens and there is nothing "cheap" about it. Large fast lenses need to make compromises that slower lenses avoid - not that a 1.4 is much faster than 1.7 anyway.
11-06-2014, 05:33 AM   #2242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Personally I don't think this is true, I had multiple copies of K mount 50s, and out of all of them: the A 50mm f/1.4 it was one of the worst*. My copies of the Pentax K and A series 50mm f/1.2 lenses were significantly sharper across the frame at f/4~f/8 aperture range than a majority of pentax 50mm lenses.

*especially at its widest aperture.
Ok I'll try to get a cheapo M-1.4 then, just for the taste of having the same camera in the paperwork. I always wished a Pentax 50 mm f1.2 (it appears this is its official name) but the prices are ridiculous, they go for double the price of a 1.2 Canon FD or Nikkor AI/Ais...not to mention the quotation of the golden lens, the A one.

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
This 1.7 is likely to be sharper than the 1.4. It is a fine lens and there is nothing "cheap" about it. Large fast lenses need to make compromises that slower lenses avoid - not that a 1.4 is much faster than 1.7 anyway.
I still have to test it but aesthetically speaking I'm not impressed, it looks like my 28 mm f2.8 that is not a great lens but does the job and I paid 30 euros for it, so far I've been happy with my fast lenses, the Nikkor 50 mm f1.4 Pre-Ai:

And the Canon FD 50 mm f1.2:

I also have a Nikkor AIs 1.8 and a FD 1.8 and I much prefer the big bowls.

Plus, I'm a bokehaolic (see my pics in that thread and my selfportraits in the critique area) and I love shoot bad pictures with stuff out of focus so I need something faster than 1.7, usually in that aperture my favourite lenses are Soviet, the Pk Volna 50 mm f1.8 of the Almaz 103 and the M42 Zenitar 58mm f1.7, they both look better that this tiny M50 f1.7 but of course I'm curious to see how it does perform against these two old glories of the Brezhnev era.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 11-06-2014 at 05:44 AM.
11-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #2243
Site Supporter

Ok I'll try to get a cheapo M-1.4 then, just for the taste of having the same camera in the paperwork. I always wished a Pentax 50 mm f1.2 (it appears this is its official name) but the prices are ridiculous, they go for double the price of a 1.2 Canon FD or Nikkor AI/Ais...not to mention the quotation of the golden lens, the A one.
Where are you looking? KEH has one K "cheap" compared to European price levels ...

11-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #2244
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Edmundrt.
I was gifted a Chinon CE II Memotron which seems more documented then the plain CE Memotron. From what I understand the only difference is multiexposure control? Apparently it was sold under many names including one under the Alpa as well as Sears and GAF. It has interesting feature including mirror lock up in timer mode. I had a heck of a time figuring out how the film speed was set and that shutter release has to be the longest throw I have ever used on a camera!
11-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #2245
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Edmundrt.
I was gifted a Chinon CE II Memotron which seems more documented then the plain CE Memotron. From what I understand the only difference is multiexposure control? Apparently it was sold under many names including one under the Alpa as well as Sears and GAF. It has interesting feature including mirror lock up in timer mode. I had a heck of a time figuring out how the film speed was set and that shutter release has to be the longest throw I have ever used on a camera!
Yes, there's not much out there on the original CE Memotron. The original CE has multiple exposure control too, as did all the CE series - one of their strengths against the competition of the time. This page lists the only difference between them as being the flash sync speed. Thankfully the CE has a simple rotary dial to select ASA, unlike the weird pin system on the CE-II. A lot of Chinon's OEM stuff was rebranded in Europe and the US, as the ones you've mentioned as well as Prinzflex in the UK for the earlier models (Chinonflex TTL etc) and Revueflex in Europe for the later ones (CE-4, CE-5). As I've mentioned before, I have a fascination with Chinon stuff and the great products they made as one of the smaller Japanese camera manufacturers, borne out of my affection for my CE-5 which was my first film camera (8.50 in a charity shop).
The real advantage that the CE, CE-II and CE-3 have is that they can work in Av mode with any M42 lens with an A/M switch, unlike the Pentax ES which needed the specific late model lenses. This makes them very versatile. The lenses that were made for this camera by Tomioka are very good, particularly the 55/1.7 and 55/1.4.
The trade off is the long shutter release throw to stop down and activate the meter, and the weight of that mechanism, but it is a thing of mechanical joy to use and it makes one hell of a click.

Last edited by edmundrt; 11-06-2014 at 09:31 AM.
11-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #2246

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
There are various tutorials out there on how to mod the fujinon lenses for stop-down operation if you are interested in using it on digital, etc. Does the Fuji metering lug give you problems with infinity focus on the Spotmatic body? It definitely will if used with an adapter...
The little nub clears the Spotmatic, but it definitely interferes with mounting on a K-mount body with an adapter. Might keep a look out for another cheap body to mount this lens on since the Spotty is my only m42 mount camera.
11-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #2247
Site Supporter

...Plus, I'm a bokehaolic (see my pics in that thread and my selfportraits in the critique area) and I love shoot bad pictures with stuff out of focus ... .
Who isn't ?!
11-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #2248
Pentaxian

It's a very nice lens, and less common than its Takumar counterpart, so it tends to be worth a bit more. I've used it on the K-5, and I'd say it is equal in quality to the SMC Tak, but with very different rendering characteristics. It definitely has the classic "Fuji look" - cooler than the Tak and with great microcontrast, but more
"ethereal" than the aggressive contrast pop of the Pentax lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by samtr87 Quote
The little nub clears the Spotmatic, but it definitely interferes with mounting on a K-mount body with an adapter. Might keep a look out for another cheap body to mount this lens on since the Spotty is my only m42 mount camera.
11-06-2014, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #2249
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, there's not much out there on the original CE Memotron. The original CE has multiple exposure control too, as did all the CE series - one of their strengths against the competition of the time. This page lists the only difference between them as being the flash sync speed. Thankfully the CE has a simple rotary dial to select ASA, unlike the weird pin system on the CE-II. A lot of Chinon's OEM stuff was rebranded in Europe and the US, as the ones you've mentioned as well as Prinzflex in the UK for the earlier models (Chinonflex TTL etc) and Revueflex in Europe for the later ones (CE-4, CE-5). As I've mentioned before, I have a fascination with Chinon stuff and the great products they made as one of the smaller Japanese camera manufacturers, borne out of my affection for my CE-5 which was my first film camera (8.50 in a charity shop).
The real advantage that the CE, CE-II and CE-3 have is that they can work in Av mode with any M42 lens with an A/M switch, unlike the Pentax ES which needed the specific late model lenses. This makes them very versatile. The lenses that were made for this camera by Tomioka are very good, particularly the 55/1.7 and 55/1.4.
The trade off is the long shutter release throw to stop down and activate the meter, and the weight of that mechanism, but it is a thing of mechanical joy to use and it makes one hell of a click.
This site also states that the sync speed was the only difference - 1/60 to 1/90 with the CE II, but with a question mark. -> Chinon Screw-Mount Cameras

Do you have a pic of the top plate of the CE? Below is from my CE II for comparison.

Interesting how the CE-3 top shutter speed went down to 1/1000.

Also, do you have the CE-4 or higher? Chinon CE-4 camera manual, instruction states that these have a Chinon bayonet lens mount? Intersting that they made their own mount and I wonder if it is compatible with any others?

I don't know how long the CE & CE II were in production as the much smaller CE-3 seems to have been released the same year as the CE II. Probably just like the initial K Series - and those from all the other manufacturers too, the smaller Olympus OM series influenced the change and accelerated the conversion. At least this seems to be what I have gathered from the Modern and Popular Photography magazines of the time.

---------- Post added 11-06-14 at 03:17 PM ----------

Cuthbert,
In good condition, all the Pentax 50mm lenses I have conducted resolution tests with exceed the film/scanning process.

If you want a super sharp lens, then you might want to try the M Macro 50mm F4.
In the test below using the 14.7MP K20D, they all seem to be the similar.

Link to larger -> http://www.fototime.com/AFA3C6EDB6A663D/orig.jpg

Testing using Kodak Techpan processed in Technidol shows that the macro lens was only limited by the sensor of the K20D and the Coolscan as an optical enlargement of the film clearly shows there was quite a bit of extra detail still on film that was not being resolved.

Link to larger -> http://www.fototime.com/A08A371F28ED137/orig.jpg

Kodak Gold 100 using the 50mm Macro below. Of course the small number of blades doesn't form well round OOF highlights.

Link to full size -> http://www.fototime.com/AA49E1A00A2B5A7/orig.jpg
11-06-2014, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #2250
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Do you have a pic of the top plate of the CE? Below is from my CE II for comparison.
Here's one - apologies for the terrible light in my tiny student room. As you can see, the only real differences are the film speed selection dial and the positioning of the X on the shutter speed dial - on the CE it's between 60 and 125 but not numbered.

As for the CE-4 and CE-5, they were actually K-mount. I don't know why Chinon referred to it as 'Chinon Bayonet Mount' in the literature, since they'd been so keen to advertise the M42 cameras' universal capability, and this did rather the opposite.
Here's my well-loved CE-5 with its naked mount and the SMC-M 50/1.7 mounted - the reason I like this camera so much is that it packs in all the features of the ME Super but with a grip (which contains a holder for two spare batteries), DoF preview, 3200ISO capability and a rotary shutter speed selector with Auto at the end, like the earlier CEs, which I find much quicker to use than the buttons. Don't get me wrong, I love the ME Super, but the CE-5 is just a very complete camera.