Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #2296
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A weird Nantes swap "mis-match" out of an under-the-table junk bin ... a 10€ gamble.

Tried to talk the seller down, but no go ... 10€ is 10€. The body was in great shape and the Helios worked fine. No battery to test the meter so a "gamble" ...

Got home and plopped in a battery and the meter "works" (somewhat sluggishly) ... but I am a sucker for these Icarex bricks. Love that focus screen ... J

11-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #2297

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I do not know if my meter works ... I popped a battery in but the contact is too corroded and I got "zero" reading ... Need to clean/repair this soon and find out. I was too excited and concentrated on the Jena 50 ... J
Mine had lost one of its battery contacts, strange as that was the only damage to the camera. I made a replacement from a spring and soldered it to the remains of the original, it's a little bit too long as the battery is hard to remove.

I was advised that a AA would be fine, and sure enough the meter reads correctly. However, it's such a fiddle to use stop-down metering on the LLC that I usually just guess the settings.
11-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #2298
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A weird Nantes swap "mis-match" out of an under-the-table junk bin ... a 10€ gamble.
Tried to talk the seller down, but no go ... 10€ is 10€. The body was in great shape and the Helios worked fine. No battery to test the meter so a "gamble" ...
Got home and plopped in a battery and the meter "works" (somewhat sluggishly) ... but I am a sucker for these Icarex bricks. Love that focus screen ... J
That is a great buy!
I understand that this is a heavyweight. Interesting that for a late 60s M42 mount SLR, that it has an aperture window. Probably doesn't show for other lenses?
That had me thinking what were actually the first SLRs that showed the aperture.

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 05:34 PM ----------

My silver MX and Spot F that I sent off to Eric ... and I now have a SMC Tak 50/1.4

Would love to have a black of each of these guys. (re-post)

I have a black and a silver (several) SR-T 101 ... it's fun to see them side by side. J
Something like this . . .

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 06:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JuanEstrada Quote
Hi you all!

My LX is with Eric so no LX pictures this time, but I think this is very p0rny...

Olympus OM 180mm f2

And those bellow are the results at f2...

hope you enjoy!
Very much so!

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 06:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JuanEstrada Quote
I have a Pentax LX, Pentax MX, Pentax KX, Pentax K2, Olympus om2n Olympus om3 Olympus om4t, Nikon f3.
Very nice list!
11-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #2299
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Yes, clearly you have a problem -- your table is too small!
Exactly what I was going to say

11-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #2300
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
... Something like this . . . ......
Oh, you're killing me now !!!
11-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #2301
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
That is a great buy!
I understand that this is a heavyweight. Interesting that for a late 60s M42 mount SLR, that it has an aperture window. Probably doesn't show for other lenses?
That had me thinking what were actually the first SLRs that showed the aperture.

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 05:34 PM ----------

Something like this . . .

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 06:03 PM ----------

Very much so!

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 06:05 PM ----------

Very nice list!
Me....wants....black...Spottie F!!!

Spotties have sharp eyes...

Last edited by Cuthbert; 11-13-2014 at 04:23 PM.
11-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #2302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Me....wants....black...Spottie F!!!
Like this one? Heh ... heh ... heh

This Black Spottie F found me right here at PF Marketplace. The Netherlands' very own Hilo put it up for sale here about 2 1/2 years ago.
The photo is Hilo's, used in the PF ad that drew me in

Last edited by Moe49; 11-15-2014 at 08:56 AM.
11-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #2303
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
Like this one? Heh ... heh ... heh

I found this Black Spottie-F right here at PF Marketplace. The Netherlands' very own Hilo put it up for sale here about 2 1/2 years ago.
The photo is Hilo's, used in the PF ad that drew me in
Beautiful.

I think I need to get a good, fully working Spotmatic. I have an SP1000 with a dodgy meter and an SP500 in which I think the meter works but the 1/500s is a bit of a limitation (yes, I know there's an extra step for 1/1000s but it's uncalibrated and I don't trust it).
11-14-2014, 03:09 AM   #2304

There was a very clean black Spotmatic II with 50mm f1.4 on ebay UK yesterday, buy it now for £45. Funnily enough it didn't stay for long! Anyone here bag it?

I would have, but for the fact that I've already spent this month's camera budget on a handful of lens hoods...
11-14-2014, 03:50 AM   #2305
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
There was a very clean black Spotmatic II with 50mm f1.4 on ebay UK yesterday, buy it now for £45. Funnily enough it didn't stay for long! Anyone here bag it?

I would have, but for the fact that I've already spent this month's camera budget on a handful of lens hoods...
Not me ... wish that I had seen it.
11-14-2014, 04:28 AM   #2306

Well, to be fair it didn't beat my finest bargain...

In 2012 I managed to pick up a cased Spotmatic (mint aside from a big dent in the top plate) with strap and 50mm f1.4 for...

£7.

Yes, that's not a typo and there are no missing digits! The camera doesn't work properly (capping shutter) but the lens is perfect, and now lives on my good Spotmatic body.
11-14-2014, 05:12 AM   #2307
Veteran Member

My Spottie F was £45, and came with an SMC 50/1.8 and a Super-Tak 2/35, genuine Asahi teleconverter and extension tubes, Asahi cable release, strap and ERC. It was so dirty, looked like it had been sitting in the antique shop for about ten years, but when I cleaned it up it was absolutely mint. It's still my favourite camera to use and if I had to save one of my collection in a fire, I'd go for it every time.

When I was in Japan in April, I went to a tiny camera shop - and when I say tiny, I mean the size of the average kitchen but containing about a thousand cameras - in the basement of a karaoke club in Shinjuku. At the time I was experimenting with half frame and got myself an Olympus Pen D3 but now I really regret not buying one of the ten or so new old stock black Spotmatics still in their original packaging on the shelf. I'm concerned that when I return next summer I may just buy the whole shop.

Last edited by edmundrt; 11-14-2014 at 05:37 AM.
11-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #2308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
My Spottie F was £45, and came with an SMC 50/1.8 and a Super-Tak 2/35, genuine Asahi teleconverter and extension tubes, Asahi cable release, strap and ERC. It was so dirty, looked like it had been sitting in the antique shop for about ten years, but when I cleaned it up it was absolutely mint. It's still my favourite camera to use and if I had to save one of my collection in a fire, I'd go for it every time.

When I was in Japan in April, I went to a tiny camera shop - and when I say tiny, I mean the size of the average kitchen but containing about a thousand cameras - in the basement of a karaoke club in Shinjuku. At the time I was experimenting with half frame and got myself an Olympus Pen D3 but now I really regret not buying one of the ten or so new old stock black Spotmatics still in their original packaging on the shelf. I'm concerned that when I return next summer I may just buy the whole shop.
You are kidding, aren't you ?! Want, want, want ...
11-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #2309
Veteran Member

Absolutely not kidding. The had ESs and ESIIs as well and some real Pentax curios - SMC Pentax 400-600mm zoom anyone? Pentax-F 17-28mm fisheye zoom? Before I went there I couldn't have imagined it - cameras that you'd describe as 'rare' in rows of 10 or 20. A junk box of untested tatty stuff for a thousand yen each, some of it very rare and desirable, but they evidently had so much stock that they just didn't have time to test it.
A real proper shop staffed by two old men - when I took my Pen D3 to the counter and asked if the meter worked, one of them said 'ah, wakaran' ('dunno') and got out a large toolbox full of old batteries and a multimeter. He tested about ten batteries until he found one with some charge left in it, then tested my meter with that before putting them all back in the box.
It was well located, too, just down the road from Yodobashi Camera which means that when you've bought your camera, still reeling from the shock and delight, you can plunge into their film fridge

Here's their occasionally updated stock blog

Last edited by edmundrt; 11-14-2014 at 07:04 AM.
11-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #2310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote

Yes, that's not a typo and there are no missing digits! The camera doesn't work properly (capping shutter) but the lens is perfect, and now lives on my good Spotmatic body.
The Spottie above is in mint condition, looks new and I paid 60 euros for it with a mint 55 mm f2.0 that was meant to be used on a SP1000.

Being a maniac I bought a 55mm f1.8, an SP1000 body and swapped the lenses...of course later I also bought a Tak 50mm f1.4 and now I mostly use that lens, this means that I've a spare lens for another Spottie F body I assume, possibly black, but most of Pentax black bodies haven't aged well at all, besides the LX that I presume got some advantages from the alluminium skin.

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Provide the address and email of that camera shop NOW!!!Immediately!