Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #2476

Score for €2!

If you're trying to remove that "2" from the back then try lighter fluid on a cotton bud. It might help the shutter too, depending on why it's jammed.

12-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #2477
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
I don't think Schneider were ever happy with "convertible" lenses because there is a compromise in image quality when you use one half of the lens. I'm guessing that it was a popular selling point in the US so they went along with it for marketing purposes. The Symmar-s is also convertible, but when they tweaked it for optimum sharpness as a whole the performance of the individual cells was reduced so the "convertible" markings were dropped. Technically the plain Angulons are convertible too (as shown in the attached page from the 1934 brochure) although that wasn't mentioned much in later years
Interesting!
Well I took 4 test shots today, I used the same scene, same exposure settings.
I used the 100/175, shot it, then i swapped the front cell for the 135. I had thought I would get a wider angle, but no. I got a slightly longer lens. Maybe a 115mm

Then I installed the 135/235, again, same scene, same settings. Then i swapped in the front cell for the 100. And in fact I did get a wider lens, again about 120 mm.

In any case, the swapping cells to get more focal lengths is not worth the trouble. If I had gotten a wider than 100mm by swapping cells, then I would have been ecstatic. In both cases when i swapped the front cell, i got a middle focal length.
The 100/175 was meant for a 6x9 film size, and I can see some vignetting at large aperture. It is not very obtrusive, and the 175 does not vignette at all, so I think this will be my general use lens.
12-06-2014, 01:54 AM   #2478
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Thrift store score for 2 ...

The meter works and has a good battery, but shutter is stuck. Will open probably this weekend to see if I can free thing up ... J (xpost)

Wow, very pretty. Those things go for big money when operational. Good luck with fixing it.
12-06-2014, 05:07 AM   #2479
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Wow, very pretty. Those things go for big money when operational. Good luck with fixing it.
Fixed it. Easy access from the front, two sprays of bottled gas lighter fluid and bingo, like new ... cleaned it a bit and re-assembled. 25 minutes tops.

Only downside is that the middle group has some minor arc-like balsam(?) separation ... I do not think that it will show up and I (re)position this default in the bottom portion of the frame so as to hopefully minimize its possible effect on IQ.

I will now search for a dead 17 to scavenge it for a better element group. But, first some B&W tests are in order ... Salut, J

12-06-2014, 06:08 AM   #2480

Fixed it. Easy access from the front, two sprays of bottled gas lighter fluid and bingo, like new ... cleaned it a bit and re-assembled. 25 minutes tops.

Only downside is that the middle group has some minor arc-like balsam(?) separation ... I do not think that it will show up and I (re)position this default in the bottom portion of the frame so as to hopefully minimize its possible effect on IQ.

I will now search for a dead 17 to scavenge it for a better element group. But, first some B&W tests are in order ... Salut, J
Check shopgoodwill.com they usually have several of these old cononets on there for fairly cheap.
12-06-2014, 07:17 AM   #2481
IHS

Thrift store score for 2 ...

The meter works and has a good battery, but shutter is stuck. Will open probably this weekend to see if I can free thing up ... J (xpost)

Nice one...It reminds me of this little Vivitar I got at a garage sale for $2. Everything works but I'm no rangefinder guy...I just wanted the leather wrist strap.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
12-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #2482
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mltain Quote
Check shopgoodwill.com they usually have several of these old cononets on there for fairly cheap.
Thanks, I checked ... but I only saw later model Canonets with different lens. Thanks for the tip and I will check there very once and a while ... Salut, J
12-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #2483
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
I don't think Schneider were ever happy with "convertible" lenses because there is a compromise in image quality when you use one half of the lens. I'm guessing that it was a popular selling point in the US so they went along with it for marketing purposes.
The selling point for convertible lenses was one of practicality for field work. Safe field storage for a selection of converter elements is a whole lot easier than the same for full lenses on boards. Ansel Adams saw value in that approach and convertible lenses were part of his kit.

Steve

12-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #2484
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The selling point for convertible lenses was one of practicality for field work. Safe field storage for a selection of converter elements is a whole lot easier than the same for full lenses on boards. Ansel Adams saw value in that approach and convertible lenses were part of his kit.

Steve
The convertible lenses are handy, and make fine pictures. I know there are sharper/faster lenses that modern tech has made, but at some point a lens is "good enough".
I would have liked the 100 better if it had a wider coverage, but again, it's good enough for what i want to do.
The other thing I would be happier with, is that the lenses would all fit the same shutter. The 100 and 135 both fit the #0 shutter, but my 150 fits in a #1 shutter, which means I need a minimum of two boards and two shutters.
If Schneider had made the 100 and 135 fit a #1 shutter that would have been nice. sigh.
12-06-2014, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #2485
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
The other thing I would be happier with, is that the lenses would all fit the same shutter. The 100 and 135 both fit the #0 shutter, but my 150 fits in a #1 shutter, which means I need a minimum of two boards and two shutters.
Well, there you go. I only have a three lens kit*, but have boards for each lens since they are cheap and it is much easier and safer to swap out a board with lens mounted than mount/dismount in the field.

Steve

* Each lens came with shutter...luck me!
12-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #2486
Pentaxian

12-06-2014, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #2487
Site Supporter

12-07-2014, 04:28 AM   #2488

Photos: Gallery
Pentar K and 55/1.8

$78 on an auction site a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Images

12-07-2014, 04:29 AM   #2489
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brad&Gayna Quote
$78 on an auction site a couple of weeks ago.
What a bargain!
12-07-2014, 06:42 AM   #2490

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
What a bargain!
what do you think this is, pentarforums.com? hehe nice score!