Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9445 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #2671
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Talk about form following function -- that thing looks super cool and super fun.

Although I've had it for two months I've only just started using it, so it's time to introduce my latest insanity:

Arca-Swiss F-line Classic 4x5 w/ Caltar (Rodenstock) II-N 1:5.6 210mm
Beautiful camera! That Caltar 210/5.6 looks pretty petite. I have a Nikkor-W 210/5.6 that is about twice that size and very heavy too. It is almost too much for my Chamonix field camera.

Steve

03-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #2672
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That Caltar 210/5.6 looks pretty petite.
Might only look small by comparison with the 171mm lens board. I've bought an adapter for Technika boards but don't have any of the smaller boards yet.
03-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #2673
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Might only look small by comparison with the 171mm lens board. I've bought an adapter for Technika boards but don't have any of the smaller boards yet.
Hmmmm...good point. The Copal 1 shutter should have been my clue, the Nikkor's diameter is about the same as the shutter diameter, so a little bigger than your Caltar. I suppose I should make a new portrait of the Chamonix with the bigger glass attached.

Steve
03-30-2015, 01:39 PM - 2 Likes   #2674
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing too exciting to report, it's "just" a new lens. But that is always exciting to me

You see, my poor little 43 was feeling a bit lonely...

...but now she's with her big little sister

Of course, she already had some of her cousins with her...

...as well as other family members - even some German aunties.

Even more family, including some old babushkas.

There were more waiting to get in, but I ran out of space. Not the best planned shoot

Oh, and from the department of unintended consequences; I found more lenses on tables and in bags than I expected, so when it was time to put them all back in their storage cases I discovered I've run out of space for them all

Time to stay away from the market places for a while!

04-01-2015, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #2675
Veteran Member

Chinon Genesis, a great looking bit of kit in an 80s kind of way.The original 'bridge' machine, along with the Ricoh Mirai. Nice camera to use, particularly the lever-controlled manual zoom (no slow and loud motorised zoom here, thank god) but sadly program-only and too bulky to carry around as a P&S. That said, the shape is designed to fit pleasantly in your hands in roughly the same way to a camcorder, and the fact that it's got a full-size SLR viewfinder is obviously a big plus.
But using these cameras explains why they never caught on in a big way beyond the initial interest. Too big for a P&S, not adjustable enough for an SLR. If I was going to take a Chinon P&S, I'd take the 35F-MA, and if an SLR, the CE-5. Both great cameras at what they do, whereas the Genesis just feels like the awkward middle sibling.

Last edited by edmundrt; 04-01-2015 at 04:16 PM.
04-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #2676
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Chinon Genesis, a great looking bit of kit in an 80s kind of way.The original 'bridge' machine, along with the Ricoh Mirai. Nice camera to use, particularly the lever-controlled manual zoom (no slow and loud motorised zoom here, thank god) but sadly program-only and too bulky to carry around as a P&S. That said, the shape is designed to fit pleasantly in your hands in roughly the same way to a camcorder, and the fact that it's got a full-size SLR viewfinder is obviously a big plus.
But using these cameras explains why they never caught on in a big way beyond the initial interest. Too big for a P&S, not adjustable enough for an SLR. If I was going to take a Chinon P&S, I'd take the 35F-MA, and if an SLR, the CE-5. Both great cameras at what they do, whereas the Genesis just feels like the awkward middle sibling.

Awesome!
04-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #2677
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon A-1 with F1.8:

Last edited by Cuthbert; 04-02-2015 at 03:30 PM.
04-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #2678

Nice photo but this thread is for photos of the actual cameras and lenses themselves. Have any photos of the camera and lens you used to take this?
04-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #2679
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattco26 Quote
Nice photo but this thread is for photos of the actual cameras and lenses themselves. Have any photos of the camera and lens you used to take this?
Sorry, if you are talking to me I posted the WRONG picture...that was meant to go into the bokeh thread...however I replaced it with a better shot of the camera (A-1) and lens (standard and cheap FD 50 mm f1.8).

Here there's another failed entry to the mirror context with camera and lens...plus my face and a cigar.

IMO however the A-1 is an overrated camera, the lightmeter is completely average, while on a manual camera like the Spottie you can compensate if you are using it with the auto mode it takes average pics.

Still I understand the historical importance of this Canon.

However, in the RF area these are my three Zorkis:

This is my humble Leica M3 system, I need a 135 mm I guess:

Last edited by Cuthbert; 04-02-2015 at 03:40 PM.
04-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #2680
Veteran Member

I picked up this beautiful beast, complete with the original sparkle finish ever-ready case, and the lens, both in perfect working condition, for $10 last week.

04-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #2681
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's terrible!
04-04-2015, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #2682
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I picked up this beautiful beast, complete with the original sparkle finish ever-ready case, and the lens, both in perfect working condition, for $10 last week.
Great find! We call the silver ever-ready cover "the moon case" at our house.
04-05-2015, 06:44 AM   #2683
Veteran Member

Last catch on ebay: a second series Canon FTB with early FD 50mm f1.4 and other accessories I won't use:

I think the FTB is an underrated camera, a friend of mine still has a chrome first series his father bought new in 1972, unlike this one it looks brand new, it's more or less the equivalent of the Pentax LX but doesn't the prices of a Pentax: got this black one for $18 plus shipping, it's dirty as hell and still had the original silver battery completely tarnished, everything works OK.
04-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #2684
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
In my opinion this is the ugliest camera Pentax has made. Maybe a new thread? Ugly pentax
04-05-2015, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #2685
Pentaxian

Home-made p0rn ...

Yes, I am crazy ... here I dissembled an Isconar 135/4 for its 14 blade aperture, then stuck it on my Russian bellows and then inserted a Malik Triolam 100/2.9 projector lens. At the end, a shot at at "f/8", two stops down ... "home-made" p0rn, if you will. (xpost)