Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 03:11 AM   #256
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Have you used the Canon F1 and the Pentax LX? Having used both, which is superior?
Yes and IMHO I preferred the LX, is wasn't about technical specs or anything, it was just down to how it felt in my hands. Mind you I did have the additional grip, motor drive and nicad battery pack on all of mine.

I also really liked the action finder eye piece too, here's a quick grab of shot of one of them I took today.

One of my first true loves, but don't tell the wife.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-09-2013 at 03:22 AM.
04-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #257
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He is. He's good, but I usually send Yashica 35mm Rangefinders to Russ Sisco. He's done 4 of them for me now and they're all excellent!

Yashica Electro 35 Restoration and Releathering Services

Yes, Russ is good. Unfortunately the jammed aperture rod (a common problem) on my Lynx 1000 was not something he could fix and he suggested Mark Hama.

Steve
04-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #258
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you used the Canon F1 and the Pentax LX? Having used both, which is superior?
I was never able to use the F1 and my brother was quite jealous of the Oly as well. I HAve always used a Pentax something because they feel right to me, though if I got started on something else mechanical it would be the Canon. I nearly bought one on eBay some years ago when a collector was liquidating several mint items. Thankfully I was outbid.
04-13-2013, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #259
Pentaxian

Me and my Korona 810K, recently returned to working condition by yours truly:

Taken by my co-worker Angela who sold me the camera. It was a display piece in her home for 25 years.

04-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #260
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

1. No doubt both have substantial build quality but the LX was more weatherproof.
  2. The F1 has spot meter option using specific screens while the LX does not.
  3. The F1 has shutter priority when used with the motordrive while the LX does not.
  4. The F1 does not have MLU while the LX does. While in MLU, the LX meter is still active.
  5. The F1 has a viewfinder blind while the LX does not need it.
  6. F1 film speed to 6400 while the LX to 3200.
  7. F1 in aperture priority AE finder limited to 1/1000 while the LX is 1/2000.
  8. X Sync for the F1 is 1/90 while the LX is 1/75.
  9. F1 finder is 97% coverage at 0.8X magnification.
  10. LX finder is 98%V and 95%H coverage at >0.9X.
  11. Both have the same range of shutter speeds available in manual mode when batteries die but the F1 battery has to be physically removed for it to work.
  12. The F1's timer is battery dependent while LX self timer is still available when batteries die.
  13. The F1's multiexposure is the "universal manual" method with no guarantee of perfect registration while the LX has perfect frame registration going forward or backward.
  14. The LX has TTL OTF flash while the F1 does not.
  15. The F1 - and all Canons past or present, can only aperture priority autoexpose to a maximum of 30 seconds.
  16. The LX metering range is superior to the F1 - or for that matter to any camera ever made past or present, and can aperture priority auto expose for as long as it takes to achieve a proper exposure or batteries die.

Obviously which is superior is subjective and can be biased by your needs.
04-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote

1. ... auto expose for as long as it takes to achieve a proper exposure or batteries die.
How does it know a film's reciprocity characteristics and correct for that?
04-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
How does it know a film's reciprocity characteristics and correct for that?
I am certain there are no cameras - past or present, that has this programmed in it. In fact, I am almost certain that not even the Kodak or Fuji scientist know that for every film they make and for every scene you find. Somethings are really left to the photog to discover . . .

For instance I experimented with Kodak Gold 100 below.

I have conducted this test with various other films and the results look normal.

Below is my LX in aperture priority for >35minute using Kodak Ektar 100.

Aren't modern films great!
04-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #263
Loyal Site Supporter

Obviously which is superior is subjective and can be biased by your needs.
Another "Wanted Camera" off my list. My brother can keep it and the OM-1 he rode in on, too. I got an LX. That leaves just an FM (or FM2n).

04-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #264
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That leaves just an FM (or FM2n)
I have handled the FM and it is a nice camera. It is a little nicer, in fact, than my KX. I would get me one except that then I would have to also buy all that Nikon glass to go with it $$$. Still, though, given the opportunity on a clean FM2...

Steve
04-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #265
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would get me one except that then I would have to also buy all that Nikon glass
My response to the OM-1 post (OhNo another universe of LBA ..... must .... resist ..... black) got this entire F1/FM/LX meme going. More than anything else, fear of lens addiction keeps my in K-mount. Yet if a classic Nikon with a fast 50 attached should ever come along ..... No, not going there - there's a black FM2 in the box, in the plastic bag with everything for I won't say what price

Last edited by monochrome; 04-13-2013 at 05:34 PM.
04-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #266
Pentaxian

I have conducted this test with various other films and the results look
That's color film. Cubic grain BW films need lots of additional time (exponentially) after a certain point.
04-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #267
Pentaxian

I have lots of other films tested that way that i haven't disclosed here yet. But like I said, you have to test any film accordingly.
04-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #268
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My response to the OM-1 post (OhNo another universe of LBA ..... must .... resist ..... black) got this entire F1/FM/LX meme going. More than anything else, fear of lens addiction keeps my in K-mount. Yet if a classic Nikon with a fast 50 attached should ever come along ..... No, not going there - there's a black FM2 in the box, in the plastic bag with everything for I won't say what price

The FM3A is certainly worth consideration as it is the only camera that has a full hybrid shutter mechanism. It has aperture priority auto exposure but that when the batteries are dead, the full range of shutter speeds are available unlike the LX and F1.

Agfa Ultra 100

It is said to be the offspring of the FE2 and FM2 . . .

Agfa Ultra 100
04-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #269
Loyal Site Supporter

You are so bad (I knew about the FM3a).

But really, I have more than enough cameras and not enough prints. I'm just getting down to a rational group now - KX, MX, LX, XA. If I shoot a roll a month and rotate cameras I'll use each months a year.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-14-2013 at 08:55 AM.
04-14-2013, 04:57 AM   #270
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
full range of shutter speeds are available unlike the LX
LX does have mechanical shutter speeds, ranging from the flash synchronization ('X') speed of 1/75 second to 1/2000 second and bulb ('B'), permitting manual operation without battery power.

Whilst maybe not the full range, it would get me out of a hole until I could slip in a new battery(s).

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-14-2013 at 05:11 AM.