Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2015, 12:12 AM   #2746
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, today I bit the bullet, and disassembled the front standard on my Burke & James Watson 2x3 press camera. I have been considering just how to implement swing on that little monster, and I settled on a plan, and began the project today.
I was quite disappointed when I got it a couple weeks ago, because the literature I was reading about the beast claimed that the front had tilt AND swing. and when I got it, it was painfully obvious that tilt was the ONLY movement allowed that was angular to the film plane.
What they were saying of course is that if you orient the body vertical, then the tilt can then be used as swing, however that means, alas, that no tilt is available.

In fact, the manufacturer was so totally opposed to allowing any swing that the front brace legs are actually mounted within an embedded cavity such that any swing is utterly impossible without raising the brace legs above that cavity, and of course the four rivets holding that brace frame in that cavity was the coup de grace.

With a drill, a punch, and some judicious grinding on a special bolt, and some file work I was able to mount the leg brace above the cavity, on a stud with a locking lever. Thank you JB Weld! The swing is about 10 degrees, limited by the interference from the standard locking lugs.
However 10 degrees in each direction is ample for most any sane movements. In any case better than zero. :-)

I knew I should have documented the process, but I was so intent on getting it done without goofing I failed to make any images. The JB Weld is curing overnight, and I may snap some pics of the work so far, and the final assembly and process tomorrow.

04-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #2747
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I think the FTB is an underrated camera, a friend of mine still has a chrome first series his father bought new in 1972, unlike this one it looks brand new, it's more or less the equivalent of the Pentax LX but doesn't the prices of a Pentax...
I believe the Pentax equivalent might be a KM, except with mirror lockup and shutter lock added. Still though, it is one of the true classics in the Canon SLR line, IMHO.

Steve
04-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #2748
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I believe the Pentax equivalent might be a KM, except with mirror lockup and shutter lock added. Still though, it is one of the true classics in the Canon SLR line, IMHO.

Steve
I think it's more like the KX because it also has a very nice semi-spot metering system, surely it was an older camera but quite capable for the time.
04-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #2749
Pentaxian

I did not manage to get any pictures of the process or assembly, as I got called out to tow a vehicle which busted my timeline available for getting it done.
However this is my Burke & James Watson 2x3 press camera, freshly modified to allow swing.
In this pic, the front standard is shifted left, the lens is tilted up, and has a slight rise. The lens is swung to the left.

04-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #2750

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I did not manage to get any pictures of the process or assembly, as I got called out to tow a vehicle which busted my timeline available for getting it done.
However this is my Burke & James Watson 2x3 press camera, freshly modified to allow swing.
In this pic, the front standard is shifted left, the lens is tilted up, and has a slight rise. The lens is swung to the left.

Hi Mike,

Just a question regarding the ability to be able to swing the lens. Why do you require this function? I am not familiar with this and would appreciate a quick reply explaining what this does in terms of final image produced.

Thanks
Frank.
04-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #2751
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
Hi Mike,

Just a question regarding the ability to be able to swing the lens. Why do you require this function? I am not familiar with this and would appreciate a quick reply explaining what this does in terms of final image produced.

Thanks
Frank.
Sure, using swing allows the film plane to remain parallel to the scene, and then rotating the focus plane about the film plane.
For instance a girl, standing against a busy background, say a floral print wallpaper. You may wish to focus selectively on the girl, while throwing the floral print out of focus. By using swing, we can place the girl in center frame, and use aperture to ensure the entire girl is in focus, yet the entire wall behind her is out of focus. The plane of focus rotates with the lens.
Then there is the fence line that angles down the road. You can attempt to use aperture to define a depth of field that captures the entire fence in focus, but generally you will fail, unless the scene is beyond your hyperfocal distance. By using swing, we can set the film plane to cover the scene, then use swing to rotate the plane of focus to cover the fence, and not concern ourselves with the aperture.
Generally swing, tilt, shift and rise is only used on a tripod, as the view must be constantly monitored at each adjustment to see the effect of the adjustment. Expensive view cameras use front AND rear movements to achieve images that are absolutely impossible to get without those movements.
I hope that helps!
04-07-2015, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #2752
Pentaxian

Google Scheimpflug principle. Basically, by swinging the lens you can get the plane of focus to be at an angle to the film plane. You can, therefore, get something which is at an angle to the camera, say the side of a building receeding into the distance, to all be in focus. Camera movements are one reason for using large format cameras. K.

PS. Mike and I appear to have been typing a reply at the same time!
04-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #2753

Thanks for your replies. Now I get it. What a great technique. Had no idea, but I can fully understand.

04-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #2754
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
Had no idea, but I can fully understand.
Cool! I have had my view camera for several years now and only sometimes partially understand

Steve
04-08-2015, 12:42 AM   #2755

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Chinon Genesis, a great looking bit of kit in an 80s kind of way.The original 'bridge' machine, along with the Ricoh Mirai. Nice camera to use, particularly the lever-controlled manual zoom (no slow and loud motorised zoom here, thank god) but sadly program-only and too bulky to carry around as a P&S. That said, the shape is designed to fit pleasantly in your hands in roughly the same way to a camcorder, and the fact that it's got a full-size SLR viewfinder is obviously a big plus.
But using these cameras explains why they never caught on in a big way beyond the initial interest. Too big for a P&S, not adjustable enough for an SLR. If I was going to take a Chinon P&S, I'd take the 35F-MA, and if an SLR, the CE-5. Both great cameras at what they do, whereas the Genesis just feels like the awkward middle sibling.
I love these weird things! I always check myself before getting one, or the mirai. But I know its futile

80's as. It's like an atari camera add-on to me
04-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #2756

Over the Easter/Passover holiday, my 92-year old aunt gave me her Ansco Standard Speedex 90mm f/4.5 120 medium format roll film folder.

https://flic.kr/p/rH3XYR
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-Pro1  Photo 
04-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #2757

Nikon PB-4 bellows
Nikon 105mm f/4 short mount lens

https://flic.kr/p/rvKivu
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G15  Photo 
04-08-2015, 11:19 PM   #2758
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Narsuitus Quote
Over the Easter/Passover holiday, my 92-year old aunt gave me her Ansco Standard Speedex 90mm f/4.5 120 medium format roll film folder.

My 91 year old father gave me this all black bodied Ansco B2 Speedex a few years ago and I have it on the shelf next to me as I write this - I have a roll of Fuji 120 film in the fridge but want to do a bit of a clean of the camera first. Also as a ISO 400 film I'm not sure the camera's shutter speeds will be able to provide high enough shutter speeds as it only goes up to 1/250sec. Bellows seems good and lens is similar to yours as a f4.5 85mm anastigmatic. Has a crack in the bakelite on the top cover but is not inside the light box so wouldn't cause light leaks.

Just is a neat little camera from the 1940s so I have held on to it. Still had a few images on the roll when he gave it to me so I had them printed and they included shots of my mother and younger sister from the early 1960s but some images had double exposures so he was already aware of issues with the camera. He upgraded to a miranda (which my older brother adopted) and then to a spotmatic and three super takumars (35 f2; 50 f1.4, and 135 f3.5) which he also gave to me. He used the Spotmatic up to the late 80s after which my mum took over the photo taking duties.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 04-08-2015 at 11:27 PM.
04-09-2015, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #2759
Pentaxian

Not as exciting as above, but...

Pentax Z-1P, Grip FDP, Pentax-M* 300mm f/4, unknown old, heavy Slik tripod:

04-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #2760
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Narsuitus Quote
Nikon PB-4 bellows
Nikon 105mm f/4 short mount lens
Wow, looks great. What movements other than swing?

Speaking of swing, here are three swingers: