Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #2986
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not only are they multiplying, but they are BIG, VERY BIG...
I agree, somehow several cabinets and boxes and rooms have filled up with all things photographic. Luckily I have stopped accumulating for the past several months. Haven't even made it to the camera show and rarely have anything in my ebay watch list. I know, that's a sure sign of giving up on life!

However, as to the size thing. cameras are far smaller (and cheaper) than hi fi, even vintage hi fi. After cramming 5-6 large box speakers, a couple of tube amps, a record player and the requisite LPs into a house, things start to be tight. Tight enough that just in the last two months I've had to pass by local sales of a) Tandberg speakers, b) beautiful vintage Empire bookshelves c) KLH's d) Fraziers... and I even refrained from dumpster diving for a pair of Bozaks in gorgeous shape! Dumpster Diving! Bypassing various Speaker Lusts of my Youth! Simply because I don't have space and besides the JBLs are so good.

Now the wife has a better plan for obsessive accumulation. She collects costume jewelry, the kind you buy on TV. And real jewelry to a much smaller degree. But see, the real stuff has only gone up in value over the past 30 years, and the costume stuff attracts a bevy of like minded obsessives to a yard sale, moving said jems fast and at OK prices.

Can't say the same about our cameras, mostly, can we? Except for some classics that may or may not appreciate, most of the vintage stuff just sits there and the new stuff drops in value...

06-10-2015, 02:10 AM   #2987
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
It's of but I can fit the modern eve cup to MX but it looks strange. Can't you guys recommend me a fitting eye cup ? I don't need the original.
I have a few original spare ones (I tended to lose them). Would you be interested in one? The eyepiece attachment size is the same for all cameras since the M series.
06-10-2015, 04:07 AM   #2988
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
I have a few original spare ones (I tended to lose them). Would you be interested in one? The eyepiece attachment size is the same for all cameras since the M series.
Hmm I'm from the Czech Republic...and I'm interested. I need just one piece. Send me a PM Please!
06-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #2989
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cameraniac Quote
Be sure to let us know how that works out for you. ROTFLMAO ....
5 days! I lasted 5 days....

Stopped by a yard sale today and picked up this beauty for 30 bucks. I might be chased out of these forums with pitchforks saying this, but holding this in my hand is seriously making me want to go out and shoot some film.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
06-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #2990

QuoteOriginally posted by drewski Quote

Stopped by a yard sale today and picked up this beauty for 30 bucks. I might be chased out of these forums with pitchforks saying this, but holding this in my hand is seriously making me want to go out and shoot some film.
Five days is pretty darned good and judging by the looks of that camera, well worth the wait!

Last edited by cameraniac; 06-13-2015 at 07:39 PM.
06-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #2991
Pentaxian

You are not alone.
06-14-2015, 06:04 AM   #2992
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Seriously, where the hell do you gwt the idea wed run someone off with pitchforks? Tons of us including me shoot film all the time. We are not a hardcore all digital crowd here. Where did that impression come from? This isnt photo.net after all...

And if its because its a Fujica? We are all pentaxians but we show other brands some love too, especially in this thread.

I know I've posted shots of my 4x5s, 8x10s, my rangefinders, polaroids, film Pentaxes, and other weirdness before.
06-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #2993
Site Supporter

I might be chased out of these forums with pitchforks saying this, but holding this in my hand is seriously making me want to go out and shoot some film.
Oh, not in the least...that is the way it works. This thread is a recruitment device. Sneaky, eh? BTW, Nice Fujica. I remember when this model first came out. It was ground-breaking in that it was the first camera to use the modern SPD meter cells (called "silicon blue" at the time). Now the bad news: Your camera's meter was designed to use the now banned mercury batteries and will not work properly with higher voltage modern silver or alkaline batteries. Options are discussed at the link below at pentax-manuals.com:

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/fujica/top1/st701_battery_fix.htm

The above page also includes detailed DIY instructions on adjusting the meter

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-14-2015 at 12:47 PM.
06-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #2994
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Now the bad news: Your camera's meter was designed to use the now banned mercury batteries and will not work properly with higher voltage modern silver or alkaline batteries.
Yeah I've been reading a lot about the mercury batteries. Also found out the ST801 is the one that takes newer batteries. Guess what I have to look for next (hint: it's not the battery) Thanks for the links - I looked at it and it doesn't look like something I'd wanna do myself! I guess my next best bet is to use the zinc-air cells, that was mentioned in this excellently-written article .

Actually, one thing I noticed is that the foam pieces in the back (and where the mirror slaps in front) has broken down. Found some links online on how to fix it, but not sure if it's hard to do myself.

As for the camera itself, the more I look at it, the more I'm loving it. My first brush with Fuji cameras was about 10 years ago, after I stopped using an SLR but was too poor to buy a real DSLR, and I ended up getting one of their bridge cameras. From the ST701, I can see the pedigree it came from, much like in the Pentax world.

Andrew
06-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #2995
Site Supporter

Actually, one thing I noticed is that the foam pieces in the back (and where the mirror slaps in front) has broken down. Found some links online on how to fix it, but not sure if it's hard to do myself.
It is easy to do and best to be done sooner than later. The fragments of mirror foam can foul the focus screen and shutter/mirror workings. You can get very good kits from Jon Goodman (PM me for his e-mail). His kits have all the materials pre-cut, a handy bamboo scraping tool and detailed instructions specific to your camera. $10 for the kit includes postage. What a deal, eh? Once you have the kit, all you need is fairly steady hands, a container of lighter fluid (Ronsonol), clean cotton rags and good quality paper towels, and a pair of tweezers. I have done used his kits on about a dozen cameras.

Steve
06-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #2996
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
where the hell do you gwt the idea wed run someone off with pitchforks? Tons of us including me shoot film all the time. We are not a hardcore all digital crowd here. Where did that impression come from? This isnt photo.net after all...
That was a tongue-in-cheek comment I made - yes, the folks here are a lot more civil than in some of the other forums I've been in. For instance, I use a Mac myself, but am not a big fan of Apple (the company) and you should see some of the rabid fanboys coming out of the closet with their iPitchForks if anyone says anything even slightly negative about any iProducts!
06-15-2015, 04:24 AM   #2997
Pentaxian

That was a tongue-in-cheek comment I made - yes, the folks here are a lot more civil than in some of the other forums I've been in. For instance, I use a Mac myself, but am not a big fan of Apple (the company) and you should see some of the rabid fanboys coming out of the closet with their iPitchForks if anyone says anything even slightly negative about any iProducts!
Haha aren't pentaxians a bit similar / joke!
06-15-2015, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #2998
Pentaxian

Gripped K-3II with FA135

06-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #2999
Site Supporter

Hey guys ... I need help fast. Just found a Fujica GS 645 delivered for 49 ... but it needs "revising".

Anyone know who, where and maybe how much ... ?!

Fujica GS 645 | eBay
06-15-2015, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #3000
Pentaxian

Cost would definitely depend on what needs to be fixed. The bellows will almost certainly need to be replaced -- the material Fuji used in the original bellows is known to have issues -- and the shutter linkage mechanism likely will need work as well. (Other things may need to be fixed, but my understanding is that those are the two most common problems in their 645 folder.)

I know that a few years back I heard of this guy recommended as someone in Europe who could do the repairs, but no idea on how much he would charge for it. (And, for the obvious reason of not being in Europe, I have no experience with him. )