Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #3316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Yes, then?
"Perfect" bokeh would have soft blobs, no bright doughnut edge. So, IMHO, the bokeh with the V f1.4 is significantly less than excellent. In fact, the background in the bicycle shot looks overly "nervous."

09-20-2015, 04:15 PM   #3317
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
"Perfect" bokeh would have soft blobs, no bright doughnut edge. So, IMHO, the bokeh with the V f1.4 is significantly less than excellent. In fact, the background in the bicycle shot looks overly "nervous."
Are the light balls of this picture round enough for your sophisticated taste?

09-21-2015, 03:28 AM   #3318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I mounted a bit of a gear p0rn session this morning, stopped when my flash ran out of batteries (just as well as otherwise I could have been there all morning...).

This was mainly to get shots of my DA limited line-up, which has just had the 15mm added to it, but as this is a film gear thread I haven't posted them here.

SFXn with FA 50mm f/1.7

Pentax SFXn with FA 50mm f/1.7
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

I just have to say, I love the SFX.

When my dad taught me about photography etc it was on either a Super-A or the SFXn

Both great cameras, and I have a huge soft spot for them.
09-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #3319
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
My specimen has 10 or 12 blades, now I don't remember exactly, it closes to f22 and with my great surprise it feels declicked, even if the I26M had clicks.
The I-61 is supposed to have click stops, the I-26 is not. IIRC, the I-61 also has a lower blade count. Clearly there were transitional variations...not that I am surprised.

Steve

09-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #3320
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Close! It's a Kiev 4. The rewind knob and flash sync give it away.
Kiev 4, but unlike any I have seen. The self-timer lever is atypical for the straight-sided style front plate.

I take that back. It is a Kiev 4, mid-1970s vintage.

Steve
09-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #3321
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Sorry, Cuthbert, your lens does not have perfect bokeh. I offer a free disposal service for imperfect optics. PM me for the address.

Steve
09-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #3322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Bah, you're missing half the "fun" of the Kiev with that model: turning the tiny rewind knob* found on some of the earlier models after you've finished off a roll.

* Quite possibly one of the most user-unfriendly rewind knobs I've ever encountered, yet it wasn't replaced for close to two decades.
I have to say, after running 2 rolls thru the Kiev 4M, the "upgraded" crank on the rewind is certainly not very cushy. In fact I think I'd prefer the wide knob. The crank lever doesn't have a rotating knob at the end so it slowly drills into your thumb and finger as you rewind leaving a nice little imprint by the time youre done, which is not quickly. lol

---------- Post added 09-22-15 at 11:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sorry, Cuthbert, your lens does not have perfect bokeh. I offer a free disposal service for imperfect optics. PM me for the address.

Steve
I can set up a satellite office to accept submissions in the Seattle metro area.

09-22-2015, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #3323
Pentaxian

Steve
I will beat his price. PM me !
09-22-2015, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #3324
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I will beat his price. PM me !
Screw you guys, the bokeh of my lens is perfect and I won't sell it!

Here there's the definitive proof:

09-22-2015, 11:03 PM   #3325
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I have to say, after running 2 rolls thru the Kiev 4M, the "upgraded" crank on the rewind is certainly not very cushy. In fact I think I'd prefer the wide knob. The crank lever doesn't have a rotating knob at the end so it slowly drills into your thumb and finger as you rewind leaving a nice little imprint by the time youre done, which is not quickly. lol
I concur regarding the crank on the Kiev 4M. It is fiddly and not very sturdy either.

Steve
09-22-2015, 11:07 PM   #3326
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am praying this is not a renewed attack of LBA. I have resisted for soooo long ...

Tamron SP 70-150/3.5 (19AH)

Attached to Pentax Super Program

Back in the mid-1980s I sorely wanted this lens, but the price was a little too rich for my budget. I saw this one at KEH and folded...

Steve
09-23-2015, 12:02 AM   #3327
Veteran Member

Back in the mid-1980s I sorely wanted this lens, but the price was a little too rich for my budget. I saw this one at KEH and folded...

Steve
Holy crap. How's it shoot/handle? Looks like you could easily defend yourself with it if necessary.
09-23-2015, 03:43 AM   #3328
Pentaxian

Holy crap. How's it shoot/handle? Looks like you could easily defend yourself with it if necessary.
It's a great lens with a PK/A ... and one reason why I have not already acquired the modern 70-200/2.8. Hard to justify for AF and a "stop" ...

Steve. If I had known ... my three. The middle one (with a tint tad of fungus) was a thrift store acquisition for 3€, which is a deal since lenses "that big" usually go for 5€ !

PS - Just picked up a very nice used Samyang 8/3.5 ... does it show?

09-23-2015, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #3329
Pentaxian

The first two are cross-posted to the "M" series thread. My new 35mm f/2.8 arrived this morning so I did a comparison with it's faster brother, shot with the M 50/1.4 except the last one which was the 35mm limited.

IMGP5664a

IMGP5666a

IMGP5656a
09-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #3330
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is a handful when mounted to a small body like the Super Program. Adding the Winder MEII helps a little. I should note that at 860g and 150mm length it is about the same size as other comparable zooms in its class, though a little heavier than most. When compared to current model 70-210/2.8 from Tamron and Sigma or even the FA* 80-200/2.8, it is both small and light

On the K-3, it is not too hard to handle, though it definitely benefits from proper grip, stance, and breath control at 210mm. I have been impressed with the optical quality on my initial test shots, though it is prone to purple fringing. Lateral and longitudinal CA are very well-controlled and the lens nicely sharp with good contrast.

I also recently acquired the much smaller/lighter, and much less highly-regarded Tamron 70-210/4-5.6 (158A). It is almost comical to stand the two next to each other. I am planning on doing a comparison post where I hope to redeem the reputation of the 158A a little. It is not a bad lens and performs on the same order as the DA 50-200/4-5.6 in a slightly more compact package. I am quite happy with the 158A purchase at $30 USD. It came equipped with a PKA adapter at no extra charge.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-23-2015 at 10:23 AM.