Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #3361
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
How much should one pay for a FED 2?
How much do you want one and how is your appetite for risk. Uri at Fedka (fedka.com) will sell you a nice FED-2 (b) with I-26 for $115 USD. His cameras have been CLA'd and he stands behind what he sells. If there is a problem he will fix or replace or refund. No questions asked. On the other end of the spectrum there are the eBay merchants where the going rate is $25-$50 USD. Some claim to CLA and almost all are in former Soviet countries in eastern Europe. The cost to return is usually close to what you paid regardless of seller warranty.

I think I paid about $30 USD for my FED-2 (d6) with a poorly assembled I-26/I-61 Frankenlens from some guy in Kazakhstan. It is one of my favorite cameras.

Steve

09-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #3362
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How much should one pay for a FED 2?
Start here, go down in price for more risk...
- Leica Copies: FED, Fedka.com
09-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #3363
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How much do you want one and how is your appetite for risk. Uri at Fedka (fedka.com) will sell you a nice FED-2 (b) with I-26 for $115 USD.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Start here, go down in price for more risk...
- Leica Copies: FED, Fedka.com
You know what they say about great minds...

Steve
09-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #3364

I feel like living on the edge, haha. Thanks.

09-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #3365
Veteran Member

I would recommend Fedka if you live in the US, alternatively in the UK there's a anglo-ukranian seller who has a lot of Fed2s at about 30 plus shipping, he's very respected.

Take into account that the Fed2 remained in production for a looong time and there are something like 11 different variations, the best model (and rarest) appears to be the Fed2 L, where L stands for Lanthanium...they were the first cameras issued with the I-61, in its first incarnation it had a chrome barrel and it's probably the sharpest soviet lens for rangefinders.

Also in the 60s they made a rare "made in the USSR" export version very well built.

The first ones have dim viewfinders and rangefinders, they had a Leica like winding knob that in the late 50s was replaced by a more comfortable Contax- like.

Also some of them were painted in blue, green and red, they are cool...and besides few Fed2Ls covered in nylon they don't have leatherette, what you see is painted metal.
09-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #3366
Site Supporter

The seller I bought from was in the Ukraine and I'm quite happy with both the cameras I purchased from him. Name is ua-artprojectcom and I believe he had one or two other Feds available. It was a tick above the norm in price, but both were incredibly clean and absolutely functional if not true collector worthy (but then I've never bought *that* type of camera, just the kind that will take a photo).
09-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #3367

thanks for the tips, I was looking for one in the middle of the D series. There are a few in that range for cheap on eBay in the US at the moment, might try one for the fun of it. My Contessa is crazy sharp, I want a FED for its oddball character and aesthetic as much as anything.
09-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #3368
Site Supporter

thanks for the tips, I was looking for one in the middle of the D series. There are a few in that range for cheap on eBay in the US at the moment, might try one for the fun of it. My Contessa is crazy sharp, I want a FED for its oddball character and aesthetic as much as anything.
My 2E is definitely oddball... It has the top plate and winder-crank of the 3, but limited shutter speeds of the 2. Overall I enjoy shooting with it. The viewfinder is a tiny bit dim but entirely useable. The camera *feels* more solid and reliable in comparison to the Kiev, but I've enjoyed shooting both thus far.
** I even like the leather case of the Fed - it fits like a glove and is supple enough that it (hard to describe) bends enough to somehow not bother me and the top comes off and on easily. That in contrast to the very very stiff leather of the Kiev case which always seems to be annoying me, as a proper never-ready case would.

09-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #3369

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
The seller I bought from was in the Ukraine and I'm quite happy with both the cameras I purchased from him. Name is ua-artprojectcom and I believe he had one or two other Feds available. It was a tick above the norm in price, but both were incredibly clean and absolutely functional if not true collector worthy (but then I've never bought *that* type of camera, just the kind that will take a photo).
He doesn't seem to have any 2's at the moment, but thanks for the tip!!

---------- Post added 09-18-15 at 06:11 PM ----------

Spending a lot for another 35mm wen I just divested myself of 35mm equipment feels wrong, haha, seems better to get a cheapie. I intend to get a Pentacon Six and some cheap Russian lenses in addition to the biometar. The Jupiter and Vega and Kiev lenses have nice character.
09-18-2015, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #3370
Site Supporter

09-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #3371

Stahp!
09-18-2015, 06:50 PM - 2 Likes   #3372
Pentaxian

Time to take a shot of some new gear I've been shooting and posting with lately. This Fuji GSW690III replaces my Mamiya 7II system. It is a little rougher looking in appearance than seen here. It is a bargain condition camera and all the better for actually using one.

Last edited by tuco; 09-19-2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: New Improved Version
09-18-2015, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #3373
Site Supporter

Stahp!
My.... but isn't it just hot in here?
Could you be a dear and help me out of this case...?

Last edited by chickentender; 09-18-2015 at 10:25 PM.
09-18-2015, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #3374
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have never seen either in the wild or in a store.
It's an OK camera, but a bit heavy & ugly. I'd classify it as about on par with an original Spotmatic in terms of functionality. (Though it, unlike the SP, has an all-metal shutter.)

---------- Post added 2015-09-18 at 22:35 ----------

My.... but isn't it just hot in here?
Could you be a dear and help me out of this case...?
*fans self*

Oh my.
09-19-2015, 02:36 AM   #3375
Site Supporter

These two (plus others) showed up at my thrift store and I could not resist.

The Lomo is like "brand new" and I have never seen Komura 35mm inter-changable (38-90/3.5) ... it needs a good clean inside the front elements, and the "macro" looks quite interesting through the VF.

I may file off the Fujica mount bump so that I can shoot it on the K-3. Anyone ever had any experience with Komura ? ... quite curious here.