Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9447 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #3406
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
excuse me, I need to go chain myself to something heavy.
Might I suggest a nice medium or even large format camera as an appropriate chain attachment point?

10-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #3407
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These aren't great photos, but I wanted to show how small the CV Color-Skopar 35/2.5 is, and also how great the older silver Jupiter-8 looks on the Bessa R

Here's the 35/2.5 next to my 1957 Jupiter-8. Note that the rear element protrudes a fair bit. When the the 35/2.5 is mounted to a camera it's really tiny.

And here's my Bessa R sporting my 1957 Jupiter-8, just because...
10-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #3408
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
These aren't great photos, but I wanted to show how small the CV Color-Skopar 35/2.5 is, and also how great the older silver Jupiter-8 looks on the Bessa R

Here's the 35/2.5 next to my 1957 Jupiter-8. Note that the rear element protrudes a fair bit. When the the 35/2.5 is mounted to a camera it's really tiny.

And here's my Bessa R sporting my 1957 Jupiter-8, just because...
Nice "Red P" J-8! 1957 vintage! You should be expecting a call from Jussi (Nesster). He is collecting all things 1957. As for the Skopar...I knew they were tiny, but did not know HOW tiny!

Steve

BTW...as an aside, if a Jupiter-8 or other FSU lens lacks the red Л (equivalent to Latin "P"), that does not always mean it is uncoated. The significance of the mark depends on year. Most (all?) Soviet glass since the mid-1950s is coated whether labeled with a Л or not. My 1967 Jupiter-8M is obviously coated, but alas has no Л

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-07-2015 at 12:14 PM.
10-07-2015, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #3409
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nice "Red P" J-8! 1957 vintage! You should be expecting a call from Jussi (Nesster). He is collecting all things 1957.

Steve

(BTW...as an aside, if a Jupiter-8 or other FSU lens lacks the red Л (equivalent to Latin "P"), that does not mean it is uncoated. The significance of the mark depends on year. Most (all?) Soviet glass since the mid-1950s is coated whether labeled with a Л or not.)

Actually the P meant the lens was multicoated and supposedly at the same standard of better than the Zeiss T lenses, it was dropped in the 60s when it was decided that ALL Soviet lenses were supposed to receive that coating, while before that you could still find uncoated lenses...of course the coating improved through the years in Soviet Union like as in the rest of the world and it appears in the 70s their benchmark was Pentax for the development of Kiev Arsenal MC lenses in N mount, however this is my latest purchase on evilbay:

With TWO grips:

10-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #3410
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Curious that the motor-wind grip has a cable release thread in the shutter release, while larger left-side non-motor drive does not.
10-07-2015, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #3411
Veteran Member

BTW...as an aside, if a Jupiter-8 or other FSU lens lacks the red Л (equivalent to Latin "P"), that does not always mean it is uncoated. The significance of the mark depends on year. Most (all?) Soviet glass since the mid-1950s is coated whether labeled with a Л or not. My 1967 Jupiter-8M is obviously coated, but alas has no Л
But the red "P" looks cooler
10-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #3412
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Curious that the motor-wind grip has a cable release thread in the shutter release, while larger left-side non-motor drive does not.

That is not a motor winder, it's a mechanical "action grip" like the one of the Bronica, and it's the correct design for the 645E, the other is a the grip for the old M645 of the 70s I assume, I also see a pistol grip I won't use, but I was mostly interested in the mechanical grip as I like it in the Bronica and I don't want the weight of a motor drive in a already big camera.

10-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #3413
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Actually the P meant the lens was multicoated and supposedly at the same standard of better than the Zeiss T lenses
I have read that as well, though with Zeiss T (no star), the distinction was coated vs. non-coated.* That is where things get sticky. The coatings on FSU lenses post WWII evolved over time with the earliest lenses being non-coated. The Zeiss coating technology was specifically negotiated as part of war reparations at the Yalta Conference and the Soviets were quick to apply the tech to their optical industry. For the earliest Zeiss-derived lenses the red P obviously followed the Zeiss convention...the lens elements were German-sourced. Whether the red P had any particular significance later is hard to tell.

Conventional wisdom is that all Soviet glass from the mid-50s on is coated. The red P may signify better coatings or a more elaborate process. There is one thing that is sure, none of those red P lenses are multi-coated in the modern sense of the term. The technology did not exist prior to the Pentax SMC and Zeiss T* products. Those Soviet lenses that are multi-coated are prominently labeled as such and date from fairly recently.

Steve

* Zeiss invented anti-reflective lens coatings in 1935 and the process was widely copied after WWII. SMC and T* MC coatings were developed by a joint Asahi/Zeiss venture in the early 1970s.
10-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #3414
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yep...I like the red P too.

Steve
10-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #3415
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Yup - same one - You noticed my buffing? It really is purdy on on the bessa, but I've a late model black Jupiter nearly here that is going to live on the body for the most part. I DO wish the J12 would be possible.
BTW...be careful with filters and hoods and some of the FSU lenses. Both my I-61 and J-9 (Contax/Kiev) take 0.5 thread pitch filters and will not mount a conventional 0.75 pitch filter or hood.

Steve
10-07-2015, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #3416
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
10-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #3417
Veteran Member

Nice "Red P" J-8! 1957 vintage! You should be expecting a call from Jussi (Nesster). He is collecting all things 1957. As for the Skopar...I knew they were tiny, but did not know HOW tiny!
Heh Heh, Steve, my collection of '57 Kiev is complete, but a Red P J8 LTM is a delicacy. Too bad I no longer take pictures and buy photographic equipment.
10-08-2015, 07:42 AM   #3418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Actually the P meant the lens was multicoated and supposedly at the same standard of better than the Zeiss T lenses, it was dropped in the 60s when it was decided that ALL Soviet lenses were supposed to receive that coating, while before that you could still find uncoated lenses...of course the coating improved through the years in Soviet Union like as in the rest of the world and it appears in the 70s their benchmark was Pentax for the development of Kiev Arsenal MC lenses in N mount, however this is my latest purchase on evilbay:

With TWO grips:

Nice set!

Phil.

Beautiful collection!

Phil.
10-08-2015, 03:29 PM - 3 Likes   #3419

Photos: Albums
I havent posted in a long time, apparently I golf to much. I'm on vacation though and I found this for $60. It is in absolutely perfect condition, but I cant get the film advance to move, I imagine the shutter is frozen but if theres a trick that I dont know of let me know please.
10-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #3420
Pentaxian

$5 ME Super, $5 A50/f2 and $5 M50/f1.7 massaged beautifully by Mr. Eric Hendrickson. F2 from a local dealer.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo