Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, I know that MX is a very tiny SLR, but this mini one is wayyyy to small ;-)

04-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #332
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zantaphia Quote
OK, I know that MX is a very tiny SLR, but this mini one is wayyyy to small ;-)
And here I was thinking where'd they get that giant Jumbo sized one
04-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #333
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Nothing very special: my LX which has seen a lot of use (since I finally went digital in 2007, it is quite literally collecting dust), along with my old M 2.8/100mm that is so worn that it has almost gone silver-nose (Zuiko style), modelling in a focus stacking exercise. 13 exposures stacked in ZereneStacker, K-5 II with Voigtlander 1.4/58mm SL II, cropped.
Leaving an LX on the shelf to rot? That's a hangin' crime around here, son.

LX's are so amazing...even a digital can't do what an LX can. How can it just sit there?
04-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #334
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Leaving an LX on the shelf to rot? That's a hangin' crime around here, son.

LX's are so amazing...even a digital can't do what an LX can. How can it just sit there?
Well actually it's sitting in the drawer. I got used to not using it because it spent a year with a service man who, in the end, did not charge me for his work. That was a good idea, because since the "repair" the mirror has gone very slow (it's not sticky but something more disturbing). Now my b&w film (which, I admit, does not get much use either) is in the Spotmatic I got a short while ago, along with a few of the lenses I would have liked to have in my SP 500 days (S-M-C Takumars 28mm, 50mm, 105mm amd 135mm).

04-30-2013, 05:53 AM   #335
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Well actually it's sitting in the drawer. I got used to not using it because it spent a year with a service man who, in the end, did not charge me for his work. That was a good idea, because since the "repair" the mirror has gone very slow (it's not sticky but something more disturbing). Now my b&w film (which, I admit, does not get much use either) is in the Spotmatic I got a short while ago, along with a few of the lenses I would have liked to have in my SP 500 days (S-M-C Takumars 28mm, 50mm, 105mm amd 135mm).
Eric Hendrickson can take care of that LX for you. He did mine and it works perfectly now.
04-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #336
Pentaxian

Eric Hendrickson can take care of that LX for you. He did mine and it works perfectly now.
That would be great – however, I'm in Austria and that makes it less practical. I think I'll just stick to subjects that won't walk away...
04-30-2013, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #337
Site Supporter

Russian p0rn ...

05-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #338
Site Supporter

Enough of these tiny cameras! MF is habit forming. I added the 500 C/M and agree it is compelling, but the 6x7 configuration still is nicer to use for many subjects. I had both cameras serviced, with Eric doing the 6x7, and David Odess doing the 500. Both now work like new, but my wallet knows what a bargain Eric gives us.
Name:  SixBy.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  355.3 KB

05-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #339
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Enough of these tiny cameras! MF is habit forming. I added the 500 C/M and agree it is compelling, but the 6x7 configuration still is nicer to use for many subjects. I had both cameras serviced, with Eric doing the 6x7, and David Odess doing the 500. Both now work like new, but my wallet knows what a bargain Eric gives us.
Attachment 170382
You did see my 8x10, right?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/217364-gear-p0...ml#post2337470

Last edited by unixrevolution; 05-02-2013 at 01:16 PM.
05-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #340
Site Supporter

You did see my 8x10, right?
Yes, have been eyeing LF and trying to resist the urge...
05-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #341

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
A few things they had in common: aperture priority, horizontal titanium shutters, interchangeable focusing screens and viewfinders.
That picture just shows how well thoughtout the LX design is. Every feature has it's natural place in the body design, whereas on the others everything looks like it's smacked onto the body after they've agreed on how the camera should look. Heck, the Canon and the Minolta look like even putting on the pentaprism was something noone in the design team thought about before the minute before they put them into production!
05-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #342
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Yes, have been eyeing LF and trying to resist the urge...
Why? Grab a cheap 4x5 and enter a whole new world.

I can tell you right away that no 4x5 or 8x10 replaces handheld cameras, though. They are vastly different tools.
05-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #343
Site Supporter

Why? Grab a cheap 4x5
Still laughing...

Large format is almost as big a money pit as bird/wildlife photography! It is possible to find an inexpensive Graflex or Tachihara for a couple hundred dollars, but that is only the beginning of woe. My descent into the pit went like this:
  1. Camera (Chamonix 045N-2 field camera, great value but not particularly cheap)
  2. Caltar II-N 150/5.6 (also great value and very practical in the field)
  3. 6 used film holders from the local camera shop
At this point, I am feeling pretty jazzed. I have a working kit with only moderate pain. However, there were a few other things:
  1. Bogen 3028 tripod head + extra center post to fit the Giottos (my ballhead was not quite up to task here and I was very lucky to find the Bogen...highly recommended for this task)*
  2. Very thick reading glasses (old eyes make it hard to see the focus screen and my regular readers were not strong enough)
  3. Caltar II-N 90/6.8 (one must have a wide angle and this lens looks very impressive on the camera)
Ready to go shoot, right? Well, not quite. There were a few other things:
  • Lens boards (nope, the lenses don't come with them and swapping lenses to a single board is strongly discouraged)
  • Cable releases (I only had one and it is best to simply buy new in the desired length and leave attached to the lens)
At this point, I was feeling fortunate that I already owned a couple of the essentials:
  1. Good-sized day pack (you can buy packs with inserts specific to your gear, but $$)
  2. Decent tripod (Yes, it must be sturdy)
  3. Decent light meter
  4. Plastic left-over containers as field lens cases
  5. Cheap plastic focus loupe
Finally set, I start looking for film. Ohhhhh, 4x5 sheets are expensive, particularly color. So I ordered the cheapest from Freestyle (Arista.EDU Ultra, not bad stuff) and started looking at 120 roll-film holders and ended up with:
  1. Calumet C2 6x7 120/220 film holder $ (slips under the ground glass like a regular film holder, but bulky)
  2. Calumet C2N 6x7 120/220 film holder $ (updated version of the above)
  3. Linhof Super Rollex 6x7 120 film holder $$ (not as practical as the C2s, but too elegant to not have)
  4. Fuji loupe $ (as long as we are spending money here)
  5. Several 120 rolls of Acros 100 and Ektar 100
Now we are getting somewhere, finally! The above is a good working kit and, with the later addition of a Nikkor-W 210/5.6, capable of managing most of what a person might want to use a 4x5 field camera for. So out to the field I went and shoot I did!

But wait, there is more! I am not keen on having someone else do my b&w film processing and there is the rub. Practical solutions for 4x5 sheet processing are difficult to find. I tried the "taco" method using a plastic roll-film tank with mixed results (got scratches). Jobo had quit making 4x5 reels for use in their processor tanks along with most of the rest of their line (now available again, but often in short supply). I thought I would have to do tray processing ala Edward Weston and Ansel Adams until I ran across a Unicolor drum and rotary motor unit at the local used camera shop. The Unicolor works great and is good for four sheets per batch with minimal chemical used.

Are we through yet? Well no. I wanted to digitize my work and ended up with an Epson V700 ($$). The V700 is a great tool for 120 and 4x5 and I can't recommend it strongly enough for that application.

Stuff I would like to add/modify/replace:
  • A 60mm lens $$$$
  • I would really like a dedicated pack $$
  • Ditto for decent lens wraps to replace the leftover containers
  • A real darkcloth. The jacket over the head routine gets old.
  • Jobo processing reel and tank $$
  • A Sherpa to carry all the stuff
For those who are keeping count, yes, I could have bought a competent FF dSLR for what I have invested in LF. Was it worth it? Ummm...I don't really use it that much, though the educational benefit has been immense! I also now have a now have a strong desire for a 6x7 kit. And the images...yes, the images...everything they say is true, though getting there is not easy.

Steve

*For those who may be wondering why the tripod angst, with a few notable exceptions large format photography is done on tripod.

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-04-2013 at 11:33 AM.
05-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #344
Site Supporter

Thanks Steve for confirming my expectations! I actually used a Speed Graphic some in the '60s, and have one stashed someplace, but just as a curiosity. Looking at all it would take to actually make LF usable, my Leica M9 looks reasonable as a more practical alternative.
05-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #345
Veteran Member

let's face it, most of us have descended, and several times .. a couple of my latest descents