Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2015, 11:49 PM - 2 Likes   #3466
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JuanEstrada Quote
Why are you doing this to me??? I am fighting very hard to keep using SLR for my 35mm asignments, but since I got a Leica M3, I fell in love with rangefinder and seems the way to go... but that means I have to leave my OM3 and the LX at home, and a Leica is to expensive, so the Bessa is a very good option... I don't know how much I will be able to resist....
Well, if the trends around here are any indication, not terribly long...

10-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #3467
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Yup - same one - You noticed my buffing? It really is purdy on on the bessa
I have used the buffing tip on a Dremel on a few of my FSU lenses. Works great. As for the focus ring on the I-61, I concur. It is so tight against the body. Come to think about it, that may be why I am not liking the Nokton...similar positioning.

Steve
10-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #3468
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote

I am envious! I couldn't find the Nokton in pk mount, so I got one in Ais and at the moment I'm using it with my FM, nice camera but I would have preferred it on my LX.
10-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #3469
Pentaxian

In case anyone is curious and has not (like me until very recently) handled a Bessa in person, the size is much smaller than I somehow imagined... Just a couple comparison shots next to the Zorki 4. For all intents and purposes they are basically the same size, though the Bessa is *considerably* lighter (no surprise there).

10-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #3470
Veteran Member

Well the Zorki is mostly metal...and it's a big RF in comparison to a Fed 2 or a Zoorki 5 or 6.
10-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #3471
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Well the Zorki is mostly metal...and it's a big RF in comparison to a Fed 2 or a Zoorki 5 or 6.
True, but it's nearly identical in size to my other 2 FSU RFs (not sure how I chose the larger ones), namely the Fed 2E (which has the body/top-plate of a 3B) and Kiev 4M.

One more comparison shot-set - Here it is with the LX.

Last edited by chickentender; 10-06-2015 at 01:13 PM.
10-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #3472
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In case anyone is curious and has not (like me until very recently) handled a Bessa in person, the size is much smaller than I somehow imagined... Just a couple comparison shots next to the Zorki 4. For all intents and purposes they are basically the same size, though the Bessa is *considerably* lighter (no surprise there).
Yes, the two are close, but the Bessa is about a centimeter less wide and a little shorter. The Zorki is just a little heavier, though not much. The Bessa is closer in size, handling, and weight to the FED-2 IMHO. The interesting thing about the Zorki-4 comparison is that both have 1:1 viewfinders and very similar rangefinder base (~41mm).

Edit: I have since put the two side-by-side with the same lens mounted. The Bessa is a pretty close match to the Zorki, more so than I first thought.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Yep, but so is the Bessa...just much lighter metal (Magnesium top and bottom over cast/machined aluminum alloy...I am not sure if the film door is plastic or Mg. I am not willing to scratch the paint just to see.)

I got my LTM --> M adapter today and was very pleasantly surprised at how nicely the Bessa handles with my late version (all black) Jupiter-8 50/2 mounted. It is very sweet.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-18-2015 at 10:54 AM.
10-06-2015, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #3473
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I got my LTM --> M adapter today and was very pleasantly surprised at how nicely the Bessa handles with my late version (all black) Jupiter-8 50/2 mounted. It is very sweet. :cool
Methinks our Bessas are about to match. Still awaiting that black J8... but I did something I wasn't going to do late last night.... (sigh). An m39 Color Skopar 2.5 is enroute. I'M DONE! I'm done I'm done I'm DONE!

10-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #3474
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may need to send back the Fotodiox LTM-->M adapter as the tiny indent meant lock it in the mount is *just* shy of being large enough for the tab-latch on the Bessa body to fit in and work properly.
I got my Fotodiox adapter today and first thing I did was to dull the machined edges a little with emery cloth to avoid cuts.

Strangely (or perhaps not) this has ceased to be a problem. After mounting/dismounting lenses a few times it now seems to seat and properly each time. So that's good.
Same here, it resolved by itself. This is not normally a good thing because it infers that something (adapter or body) is now a little smaller or larger than it was before. Oh well.

Oh, I noticed one other thing today. Depending on the head and/or QR plate design, there may be clearance problems with some lenses. The focus tab on the Nokton 40/1.4 does not clear the platform on my smaller tripod and there are similar issues with the ARCA plates on my larger one. The tripod screw is mounted way towards the front edge of the bottom.

Steve
10-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #3475
Pentaxian

The tripod screw is mounted way towards the front edge of the bottom.
Steve
I could see that being an issue. It's position though, coincidentally, allowed me to place it, without much fiddling at all, into the never-ready case for my Kiev. Nearly lined right up.
10-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #3476
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An m39 Color Skopar 2.5 is enroute. I'M DONE! I'm done I'm done I'm DONE!
No you're not...Now you are going to be needing a finder. FWIW, I almost bought a Skopar 35/2.5 in LTM They are such cool looking little lenses.

A Soviet finder may do the trick or possibly a Tele-Wide finder such as was used with the Yashica Electro 35 auxiliary lens kit.

Steve
10-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #3477
Pentaxian

FWIW, I almost bought a Skopar 35/2.5 in LTM They are such cool looking little lenses.
They really are. Saw one for a really nice price and grabbed it in my close-to-bedtime, sleepy, this-is-a-good-decision state of mind. Was looking at the Nokton but those Skopars I always liked the results from, so....

QuoteQuote:
No you're not...Now you are going to be needing a finder.
Not necessarily... (ahem)M2(ahem)... excuse me, I need to go chain myself to something heavy.

---------- Post added 10-06-15 at 04:49 PM ----------

Quite honestly though, I need to be done. In fact, I am beginning to consider what I'll let go of to at least partially offset the rampage I've been on...
10-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #3478
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need to go chain myself to something heavy.
Me too...I took a little stroll through "the bay" and found a few things that I have been wanting for some time...No, will not do it...

Steve
10-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #3479
Pentaxian

excuse me, I need to go chain myself to something heavy.
Might I suggest a nice medium or even large format camera as an appropriate chain attachment point?
10-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #3480
Pentaxian

These aren't great photos, but I wanted to show how small the CV Color-Skopar 35/2.5 is, and also how great the older silver Jupiter-8 looks on the Bessa R

Here's the 35/2.5 next to my 1957 Jupiter-8. Note that the rear element protrudes a fair bit. When the the 35/2.5 is mounted to a camera it's really tiny.

And here's my Bessa R sporting my 1957 Jupiter-8, just because...